• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine IA opportunities?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
On one side of the coin, if you are longing to participate in some way in OEF, IA might be your best bet. I commissioned (as a Navy guy without the added wait of OCS, TBS, IFS) in '08 and am only now hitting the fleet.....and that doesn't include work-ups in the next year for a nugget deployment at a later date. Point being that if you want to go there, your current timing probably means that you are going to miss it (even the shortest route to the fleet is still > 2 years from the time you start API). I'm not saying that this should be part of your decision matrix, but if it is, maybe that is some food for thought in addition to all of the above.

That was more or less my motivation to look into IAs. With TBS classes backed up until Oct. of 2012, there is just no chance that I will be able to be involved in OEF as an aviator. I guess one could say if I was totally dedicated to making it to Afghanistan I would walk into the recruiter's office tomorrow and enlist, but I worked hard to get through college and OCS, and I'm not going to throw that away. An IA to me seemed like the only way to deploy to OEF as an air contract.

KBayDog

Even if you miss OEF, trust me - you will have plenty of opportunities to get into a fight (or at least be involved in real-world contingencies) during your career.

MasterBates

There will always ne the next war. Historically, in a 20 year career, you will have one.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yesterday, I heard an Army 3-star put it this way: We're not in the post-OIF/OEF period, we need think and act like we are in the pre-war period.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
^^^ What they said.

Hang in there. The world won't run out of crappy places (and events) for you to deploy to...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There will always ne the next war. Historically, in a 20 year career, you will have one.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

True....seems like the opportunity for logging green ink comes at least once every 10 years, if not more:

Vietnam (last flights 1973)
Grenada (1983)
Libya (1986)
Panama (1989)
Desert Storm (1991)
OSW/ONW (1991-2003)
Somalia (1992-95)
Bosnia (1994-95)
Kosovo (1999)
OEF/OIF/OND (2001/2003-)
Libya (2011)

Plenty of opportunities in there.....

Well it's reassuring to know that as an aviator there's probably going to be plenty of opportunities to get involved in trouble spots around the world. Especially since I don't expect the United States would get involved in another long war like Iraq or Afghanistan, at least not for many years, but something like another Libya is probably never too far away. I would never hope for war, not if it was up to me. But I can't deny the overwhelming desire to see combat and put all the training to the test.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Seeing as Career Designation is no longer automatic for aviators, that's more likely than you may think. Getting from 202k+ to 174k means cuts in all kinds of areas.
Wait...What?

Is that in a MarAdmin somewehere?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
True....seems like the opportunity for logging green ink comes at least once every 10 years, if not more:

Vietnam (last flights 1973).......

Plenty of opportunities in there.....

Not to get too technical but the guys who flew in Operation Frequent Wind and the 'SS Mayaguez incident' might disagree.......;)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Not to get too technical but the guys who flew in Operation Frequent Wind and the 'SS Mayaguez incident' might disagree.......;)

Fair enough.....I suppose that was the first time the Tomcat logged green

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Do you guys really use green? I know that's the expression, but I'll I've really ever seen for that is red.