• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine IA Billets

SuperStallionIP

Large Steel
pilot
The MTT, PTT, and BTT IA billets are not a bad gig. That is the main game right now. I served on a PTT in Ramadi and actually enjoyed working with Iraqis. There are worse things that could happen than getting the opportunity to serve on one of these teams. Things like this give you different experience than just straight flying and ultimately make you more of an asset to the Marine Corps as a MAGTF officer. I am about as far from a kool-aid drinking company man as a guy can get but those are the straight facts and it is what it is. View these experiences as opportunities to excel because they are exactly that and the transition game is very high visibility now that there is little to no kinetic fight as of now, at least in Anbar.

Autorotate

FAC, former Phrog pilot
Humor me, please. They don't teach convoy ops in flight school.
Really? I could have sworn I read (in the MC Gazette, I believe) that Caveman (MATSG CO) had instituted all sorts of fun games on NAS Pensacola, including convoy operations and classes on the ATO process, all for API poolees. Wouldn't want you to spend those weeks getting into trouble...

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Really? I could have sworn I read (in the MC Gazette, I believe) that Caveman (MATSG CO) had instituted all sorts of fun games on NAS Pensacola, including convoy operations and classes on the ATO process, all for API poolees. Wouldn't want you to spend those weeks getting into trouble...

Not quite. Yes, Lt's are going to JATOPC. But the convoy classes are taught principally by Lt's, to AMS 1/2 poolees. Actually, that's kind of what a MTT does, isn't it?

Malice 1

pilot

I was part of the start up push for that program. A gunny rented like 60 paintball guns and masks, and got his hands on a half dozen humvees. We went out to bronson field with a handful of 2ndLT's and a bunch more AMS privates, and had a massive paintball fight on the gov'ts dime, with a break at lunch time for 36 little ceasars pizza's.

It was fun, but we didn't exactly learn much about convoy ops.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I was part of the start up push for that program. A gunny rented like 60 paintball guns and masks, and got his hands on a half dozen humvees. We went out to bronson field with a handful of 2ndLT's and a bunch more AMS privates, and had a massive paintball fight on the gov'ts dime, with a break at lunch time for 36 little ceasars pizza's.

It was fun, but we didn't exactly learn much about convoy ops.

We've since moved the paintball indoors to an abandoned middle school and developed a curriculum for the paintball scenarios. I thought it went pretty well, and 4th MAWTSG ended up using that setup for their refresher training.

We only did convoy ops with rubber duckies, but we had a decent IED alley setup. Were you there when the simulated IED's ran afoul of base police?

Malice 1

pilot
We've since moved the paintball indoors to an abandoned middle school and developed a curriculum for the paintball scenarios. I thought it went pretty well, and 4th MAWTSG ended up using that setup for their refresher training.

We only did convoy ops with rubber duckies, but we had a decent IED alley setup. Were you there when the simulated IED's ran afoul of base police?

Wow. That sounds alot better. I was there for the very first one ever. I did mine in aug of 2006. We didn't do it on base, it was out at the abandoned rwy's of bronson field.

It wasn't even supposed to be training for me. The SNCOIC just wanted a few butter bars there to act as convoy commanders. The NCO's pretty much ran the show. It was supposed to be training for the guys waiting to class up in AMS 1/2.