• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine IA Billets

Bolter

pilot
Alright, I know that I am probably opening up a HUGE can of worms on this one, but the purpose of this thread is twofold. 1) To get a fleet aviator's point of view on this topic, and 2) To remind the other flight studs and wannabee flight studs that we are more than just pilots, regardless of what we fly (i.e. we are Marine officers first, pilots second).

Here is a bit of background on my situation to explain my motives for posting this. I am in the Harrier RAG/ FRS right now with one month to go before I go back to the fleet. I have seen first hand and heard of many other pilots fresh out of the RAG that were snatched up for IA billets. I have had two friends go to Iraq as the XO of a UAV squadron, heard of guys going to be MIT team leaders with 0 hours in the fleet, and now we are hearing about new guys being tagged for FAC tours right out of the RAG.

That being said, I am not bitching about IA billets, and I also know that this is WAY over my pay grade. Just looking for some good conversation :)

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Completely uninformed opinion - instead of taking guys fresh out of the RAG and taking them out of the cockpit for a year before they hit the squadron, why not tap some hungry young souls fresh out of TBS and waiting to start flight school? I'll wager you'd get some volunteers from guys debating between 6 months stashed or 1 year IA, especially among those who think of themselves as grunts in flight suits.

I suspect there's something about the 7599 designator that's non-deployable, but I'm betting fresh TBS experience is much more applicable than fresh FRS experience.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
JTAC or FAC tours fresh from the RAG... XO of a UAV squadron? I would think they would want someone with a bit more experience for these billets.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
JTAC or FAC tours fresh from the RAG... XO of a UAV squadron? I would think they would want someone with a bit more experience for these billets.

I'm sure that they do. The problem is the well is drying up.

Look, if you get tagged for one of these things, just go out and do the best you can with what you know. The whole "bloom where you're planted" philosophy. Odds are that this will have little impact on your career as a whole unless:

1) You kick ass and do a great job above and beyond your experience.

2) You whine like a bitch and drop your pack.

Then again, that's pretty much true for any assignment in the Corps.

I wouldn't go looking for one of these IAs, but if you get one, just take it and do a great job.

I had a version of one of these as a junior section lead (loooooong before the term "IA" had been invented) and while I hated it at the time and thought it was a stupid waste of time, I think I came away from it better than before.

Like anything else, it's all what you make of it.

Autorotate

FAC, former Phrog pilot
I'm currently an IA in Iraq. I'd done one deployment, and I was the junior guy in my peer group. They asked for volunteers, and got one (he doesn't want to fly anymore), before also taking me. There were two Hornet guys here for the first half of the year, also one pump chumps. They had to take orders to a B billet from here. They got ONE deployment in their first fleet tour. That blows. Both of them were replaced by dudes straight out of the RAG. My replacement is coming straight out of the RAG.

As I see it, there are a few big negatives to taking an IA. First, you lose out on fleet time. That means fewer hours and quals (no NSI or WTI), which means your B billet choices get limited somewhat (no chance for HMX, TPS, RAG). Also, since you're still TAD from the MAG, you aren't earning any brownie points with your monitor to later help you get a good deal B billet.

This experience has definitely made me appreciate flying more. I mean, working only about 7 hours a day, never on weekends, and never bringing work home is nice, but it's mind numbing. These guys complain if they're at work past 1600.

Finally, to give you an example, in my squadron we had 25 pilots of all ranks. Thirteen company grade with at least one deployment. Four of us were pulled out for "special assignments." BEWARE!

Clux4

Banned
I think I ran into one of the Hornet guys from Miramar. Could not believe they would take use someone straight out of the RAG. According to him, he was still checking into his Sq. when he was voluntold.

I guess everyone is getting into the fight!

Autorotate

FAC, former Phrog pilot
There are five pilots here or on their way (3 hornet, 2 helo) straight from the RAG to MEF...

I have not heard of anyone getting a FAC tour before at least one deployment with a squadron.

Bolter

pilot
Here is another little update... one of my brothers from my class just got tasked with a FAC tour just as soon as he finishes the RAG next month (FRS...whatever). There are several more to come, but I guess we are all just trying to avoid the silver bullet.

As one fine O-5 once told me, "The Marine Corps just made us a delicious shit sandwich, and we are all gonna get to take a bite at some point."

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
OK, so I have no firsthand knowledge of this and it is way above my paygrade, let me just start with that...

From my TBS buddies and others that are in Iraq as platoon commanders and what not, they seem to think the amount of air is excessive, especially with how "non-kinetic" things have been of late. And even if things do get nasty, a 500 pound bomb is usually not the right solution these days-- you know, civil affairs and all. So why the rush to send all these newly winged guys to be FACs?

I understand the IAs for MITT teams and UAV squadrons a little more.

phrogpilot73

OK, so I have no firsthand knowledge of this and it is way above my paygrade, let me just start with that...

From my TBS buddies and others that are in Iraq as platoon commanders and what not, they seem to think the amount of air is excessive, especially with how "non-kinetic" things have been of late. And even if things do get nasty, a 500 pound bomb is usually not the right solution these days-- you know, civil affairs and all. So why the rush to send all these newly winged guys to be FACs?

I understand the IAs for MITT teams and UAV squadrons a little more.
Because FACs do ALOT more than just terminal control, and there's not enough FACs to go around. I'm not saying it's a good idea, because I think that a FAC should be a Capt (aka same rank as the Company Commander), but I don't have to worry about it!

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Because FACs do ALOT more than just terminal control, and there's not enough FACs to go around. I'm not saying it's a good idea, because I think that a FAC should be a Capt (aka same rank as the Company Commander), but I don't have to worry about it!

But why do they need to shoot out FACs at the rapid rate now? Because all the captains who might normally do it have already done a FAC tour/ multiple deployments? Or, because there was a shortage all along, and they just now are getting the right amount in country? I am guessing the former.

Also, any idea what happens to these guys when they are in the "traditional" zone for a B billet? Do they get their preference, or "voluntold" to do another FAC tour?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
There are five pilots here or on their way (3 hornet, 2 helo) straight from the RAG to MEF...

I have not heard of anyone getting a FAC tour before at least one deployment with a squadron.

One of our FACs here on this current deployment finished the F/A-18 RAG and went straight to TACP school....and here he is. No fleet time, no deployments as a pilot.

There, now you've heard of it.