• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine IA Billets

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
OK, so I have no firsthand knowledge of this and it is way above my paygrade, let me just start with that...

From my TBS buddies and others that are in Iraq as platoon commanders and what not, they seem to think the amount of air is excessive, especially with how "non-kinetic" things have been of late. And even if things do get nasty, a 500 pound bomb is usually not the right solution these days-- you know, civil affairs and all. So why the rush to send all these newly winged guys to be FACs?

I understand the IAs for MITT teams and UAV squadrons a little more.

Not to mention the "air" is doing a lot more than just dropping bombs. But, you're right that it's still excessive. With that being said, they're beginning to be directed elsewhere because of that.

phrogpilot73

But why do they need to shoot out FACs at the rapid rate now? Because all the captains who might normally do it have already done a FAC tour/ multiple deployments? Or, because there was a shortage all along, and they just now are getting the right amount in country? I am guessing the former.

Also, any idea what happens to these guys when they are in the "traditional" zone for a B billet? Do they get their preference, or "voluntold" to do another FAC tour?
I think there's a number of reasons why they need to produce FACs at the cyclic rate, and it's not as simple as you may think. First, an infantry battalion will not typically have their full T/O of FACs until they are working up for deployment, usually they'll have 1 or 2 (T/O is 3). Second, they're deploying more battalions than is usual (with less dwell time). Third, they're deploying Reserve infantry battalions (and getting a Reservist to be a FAC is damn near impossible, since most Reserve squadrons are sitting at around 40% T/O). Fourth, they're standing up new battalions and trying to grow the USMC by 20,000. Add in a little helping of you can only do one FAC tour as a Battalion-level FAC and voila! What once was not a problem, now is.

As for the traditional B billet stuff, I could try to answer - but I have no idea as I'm now in the Reserves... Things have probably changed since I left Active Duty.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
At least with the guys who FAC between the (formerly custumary) 2 deployments as a captain, they go do a B-billet after completing their squadron tour, just not as a FAC. Flight school, FRS, stint as an MWSS officer (uggh).

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Apparently the whole IA thing isn't just an aviation community thing. We are being told here in 2ndLt land that we're pretty much MTT fodder straight out of MOS school NO MATTER WHAT OUR MOS WILL BE, so we need to be ready for that.

The big tie in is that no matter what our MOS is we'll be using our TBS knowledges in our first tour more than we'll be using our MOS knowledges. Looks like that's just as true in aviation.

Autorotate

FAC, former Phrog pilot
There may not be much going on as far as kinetics in al Anbar, but there's always a need for ISR. The other MND's are always asking for more assistance as well. There's also good ole Afghanistan on the table.

The big tie in is that no matter what our MOS is we'll be using our TBS knowledges in our first tour more than we'll be using our MOS knowledges.
There's not much "Quantico-like terrain" in my neck of the woods, but plenty of room for sand table exercises.

tlord82

pilot
As one of the aforementioned 'fresh from the RAG' Hornet guys, I'll give you the positives of this IA that I have come up with.

1) Get it out of the way: Like it or not, this IA business will continue for awhile. I think I would rather be pulled out of the cockpit now then at the 2 year mark of my squadron tour like the guy I replaced (he didn't even manage to get his section qual). This way I don't have to fear the IA bullet later on and hopefully I can lie, cheat, and steal my way to the full three years in a squadron like I should get. It's definitely not a guarantee that I can pull that off, but it's a possibility.

2) Better appreciate my time in the squadron: I have never wanted to be a punk staff officer and I am having that notion reinforced daily. It is very interesting and informative to see how "Big MEF" works, but I also see the petty BS that occurs. I will be very happy to be back at the operational level and hopefully apply a bit of this experience.

3) Make some Bank: Let's face it: it pays to be in a combat zone. Hello condo when I get back.

Autorotate: Maverick can't hover, but at least we didn't have Nicolas Cage in the only movie about military helicopters

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Autorotate: Maverick can't hover, but at least we didn't have Nicolas Cage in the only movie about military helicopters

At least Nick Cage isn't a closet homosexual who believes in the alien overlord Xenu! :icon_smil

Bolter

pilot
The big tie in is that no matter what our MOS is we'll be using our TBS knowledges in our first tour more than we'll be using our MOS knowledges. Looks like that's just as true in aviation.

looks like I will be logging onto the OCS thread to refresh in my mind what OSMEAC and BAMCIS stand for. while I'm at it, I might re-learn my general orders. I may even bark and say "KILL" a few times.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
looks like I will be logging onto the OCS thread to refresh in my mind what OSMEAC and BAMCIS stand for. while I'm at it, I might re-learn my general orders. I may even bark and say "KILL" a few times.

Is it easy to throw spears at the Lieutenant? I know deep down that TBS is kinda out there, but the only way to get through this place and get anything out of it is to drink the kool-aid, find a piece of defilade, and give myself one as I punch myself in the face. Humor me, please. They don't teach convoy ops in flight school. I also find the officership stuff fascinating.

Bolter

pilot
I was not throwing spears at you brother... just adding humor to a good point that you brought up. Just as the Marine Corps prides itself in "every Marine a rifleman," we need to remember that we are the leaders of those riflemen, no matter what our MOS is and how long ago we went to TBS. I transitioned from the ground side just three years ago, and in that short period I will admit that I have let some of those basic leadership skills slip since being in the training command. The fleet is a wonderful place, and we should all be uber-stoked to get out there and do stuff, regardless of whether or not it is part of our MOS designation.

tlord82

pilot
At least Nick Cage isn't a closet homosexual who believes in the alien overlord Xenu! :icon_smil

Have you seen Fire Birds???? I think everyone in that movie is a closet homosexual. (everyone except Tommy Lee Jones) And when TopGun was filmed, Cruise was still sane.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I do find it interesting that they're taking our most "dangerous" pilots (the fresh out of the RAG dudes) and sending them away for a year. Especially in this new, "safety conscious" era. I guess when they start balling up jets when they get back to their gun squadrons, we'll take another look at who gets these IAs.