• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine F-35 Down

HuggyU2

None
Thanks for the ATC Live Feed link.

This is one of those situations we talk about in training when you tell the ATC Controller to kindly stop talking, stop distracting me, and listen to my calls without stepping on me.

The controller wants him to copy a phone number during that arrival to the farmer's field? Uh, no.

At that point, I'd have turned my radio off.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the ATC Live Feed link.

This is one of those situations we talk about in training when you tell the ATC Controller to kindly stop talking, stop distracting me, and listen to my calls without stepping on me.

The controller wants him to copy a phone number during that arrival to the farmer's field? Uh, no.

At that point, I'd have turned my radio off.

Bingo. Pilots generally know what info the controller needs...and most of it can be cleared up more accurately with a phone call to the duty office after the plane is done crashing. The e-word came out followed by a pretty serious explanation. Get everyone else out of the way, shut down everyone else on freq, and LISTEN TO ASSIST.

Stop pestering people who might be on fire, missing flight control surfaces, and shutting down motors (at the same time).

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Bingo. Pilots generally know what info the controller needs...and most of it can be cleared up more accurately with a phone call to the duty office after the plane is done crashing. The e-word came out followed by a pretty serious explanation. Get everyone else out of the way, shut down everyone else on freq, and LISTEN TO ASSIST.

Stop pestering people who might be on fire, missing flight control surfaces, and shutting down motors (at the same time).
Amen! I recently had an emergency and ATC said “just let us know what you want”. They also said if you can’t pass us the appropriate numbers don’t sweat it, just get back to us when you can. I think they literally used plain language just like that.

And for those curious, landing gear did not extend and after gravity extension, nose wheel did not lock. It locked on go around from low approach for visual inspection. Mostly uneventful.

jmcquate

Contributor
The 'please copy down this phone number, the FAA will probably want to speak to you' piece was pretty amazing...
Curious, what jurisdiction does the FAA have over a military mishap, in an what I'm assuming was, in an active MOA?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I suspect the ATC facility needs some simple questions answered for their duty log or get facts for the inevitable call from the press. Then again, they could be fishing for a good story. I have declared emergencies and gotten no phone number to call from ATC. It isn't automatic. Either way, it was egregious. Some training needs to take place.

The FAA can not take certificate action since these guys are not operating on a civ pilot certificate.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The 'please copy down this phone number, the FAA will probably want to speak to you' piece was pretty amazing...
I feel like every time that controller opened his mouth, I saw an "SA LOW" light flashing in the background. This is the part when you STFU and let the emergency aircrew drive the show, Einstein . . .

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The FAA can not take certificate action since these guys are not operating on a civ pilot certificate.

Not entirely true (and not that ATC was trying to deviate anyone in this case), but the FAA can go after a military member's civilian certificate if they know the pilot's name/details. Essentially it's a dual jeopardy situation. However the FAA knows this and is fine with letting a member hide behind military protection. Hence why on a flight plan (back when you filed with a FSS regularly) you could just say "On file, KNxx" when they asked for the pilot's name.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Quite possible the controller was ignorant to the fact that we investigate our mishaps. If he hadn't been previously military, or honestly even if he had been mil ATC, he most likely would not have known this. I agree, time to STFU and ask what he can do, but I don't think it is bizarre that he wasn't aware of this particular concept.