• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine F-35 Down

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reminds me of the P-3 they spun up in Whidbey around 2009-2010. It sat there up by the hot pits while they pulled stuff out of it, and then just got scrapped in place. It looked like a carcass getting slowly devoured by ants.

taxi1

pilot
Reminds me of the crashed C-130 that sat buried in Antarctica for 17 years before they went and dug it out and returned it to service. (My dad was in VX-6).

"So off we go across the snow, bouncing as we go and I'm hanging onto the door. Up in the air we go and I hear the pilot say he's ready to fire the JATO. And then, all hell breaks loose. When the bottles on the left side of the plane ignite, which is the side I'm on, two of them break free from the mounting bolts and become airborne rockets. One of them goes straight up the tailpipe of the #2 engine, the one closest to the fuselage on the left side of the plane. It goes thru the engine and knocks the propeller off the front of the engine. Part of the propeller comes through the side of the plane, cuts my assigned seat in half along with my camera hanging there, and proceeds across the plane into the electronics bays. The remainder of that propeller goes over and takes the prop off the #1 engine, the outboard engine.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Around the Caribbean they usually just push the airplane clear of the runway and leave it there.

exNavyOffRec

Reminds me of the P-3 they spun up in Whidbey around 2009-2010. It sat there up by the hot pits while they pulled stuff out of it, and then just got scrapped in place. It looked like a carcass getting slowly devoured by ants.

I went to OR school shortly after this happened, one of the LT's in my class knew the aviators involved he told us quite a bit of what happened and was there when the aircraft landed, then my NRD CO was a P-3 pilot who further explained what had happened. I am surprised they made it back from what they both told us.

Jim123

pilot
I went to OR school shortly after this happened, one of the LT's in my class knew the aviators involved he told us quite a bit of what happened and was there when the aircraft landed, then my NRD CO was a P-3 pilot who further explained what had happened. I am surprised they made it back from what they both told us.
Yep, one of my friends was riding in the back- aviator, just not his turn to fly at that moment, and a really smart guy on aero stuff. His version of the story is pretty informative.

exNavyOffRec

Yep, one of my friends was riding in the back- aviator, just not his turn to fly at that moment, and a really smart guy on aero stuff. His version of the story is pretty informative.
What surprised me was how low they were to the water before gaining altitude.

Jim123

pilot
Yeah, everything is sorta slowed down and enlarged when it comes to how big airplanes fly and maneuver. It's the same as spinning a small trainer but it's also different in the sense that the scale makes it more frightening, like how a good ski boat can emergency stop from full speed within about one length- just as a cruiser can too.

The structural considerations are another matter so it's not the best analogy (you don't do emergency stops every day in a surface combatant but you don't write off the hull after you do one either).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When you pull that many Gs, you more or less by definition have significant AOA on the aircraft (which is what creates all the lifties that create the acceleration that create the Gs). Which means that while the nose may indeed be pointing above the horizon, that doesn't mean the aircraft's velocity vector has necessarily caught up with it right away . . .