• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine F-22s

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even old NFOs are useful for something, sometime. The Blues & the aircrew from VFA-106 were awesome today. One of my favorite airshows of all time. There were some Marine Harriers there, and they looked pretty long in the tooth. We gotta get the Marines a new V/STOL a/c. So I do hope we can afford a 100 or so F-35Bs for the Corps.

The Harriers, on average, are newer than the Marine Hornets. The last Harrier rolled off the assembly line around 95/96.

KBayDog

The Harriers, on average, are newer than the Marine Hornets. The last Harrier rolled off the assembly line around 95/96.

Does the Yuma atmosphere help or hurt the health of your birds? I'm sure the dry air helps from a CC standpoint, but the Arizona heat has got to wreak havoc on avionics, fluids, seals, etc.

KBayDog

Looks like we're buying Britain's lemons in a fire sale. I don't suppose we got a warranty on them...

Seriously, this looks like a very smart move.

(Sorry for the source, but hey, it's legit for a change)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
New BuNos without the new car smell...

(edit) It's a pragmatic move.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seems like a good price for all those jets +parts. "My friend...special price for you..." :)

Brett

KBayDog

Seems like a good price for all those jets +parts. "My friend...special price for you..." :)

Brett

"You think you hate it now...wait 'til you drive it."

Vacation_familytruckster.jpg

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
This seems like a great deal, but I still can't understand the Corps' hate for the Rhino. The Marines don't need the F-35C, IMO, because the F-18E/F does everything they conceivably need at half the price.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Sounds like a great idea. Lets buy someone elses used harriers to replace F-18D's when the Marines could be getting Rhino's. Rhino vs Harrier? Not even a close. Leave it to the Corps to find a way to give the stiff arm to the plane it really needs and could use.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the inclusion of the D model in the linked story was just a poorly worded (ignorant) sentence that probably doesn't relfect the reality of what the Corps will be doing with the airframes.

Brett

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Any idea how old the Brit Harriers are? Most of what I can find online looks like the airframes are all built after 2000.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I think the inclusion of the D model in the linked story was just a poorly worded (ignorant) sentence that probably doesn't relfect the reality of what the Corps will be doing with the airframes.
concur...the British Harriers will not be replacing the F/A-18D (the thought is laughable). The article is both poorly written and ignorant of facts, particularly the last two paragraphs.

More like - the British Harriers and parts will be used to replace Marine Harriers as they are needed in order to get the Marine Harriers to 2020 and beyond.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Maybe this is also a little zakat to keep the Brits in the JSF?

Well, the Brits have already dropped the F-35B.

Current plans is that the first Queen Elizabeth class carrier will be built and then immediately mothballed. Cheaper to do that than cancel the contract. The second ship will be built with cats, arresting gear and an angled deck.

Currently the Brits are looking at the F-35C for the airwing but I was in the UK last week and all the newspaper editorials were talking about dumping JSF and buying F/A-18E/F's. 90% of the capability for 50% of the price.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good for Boeing, not so good for the US generally. If they bail completely on JSF, that will only raise our cost per unit.

Brett