• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine F-22s

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Anyone read the September aviation article in the Gazette in which Maj Cannon proposes buying F-22s for the Marine Corps as an F-35B "Plan B"? It starts on page 52, and you can probably view the whole article on the preview site (you are allowed to see 3 pages free I think).

http://www.marinecorpsgazette-digital.com/marinecorpsgazette/201109?pg=59#pg57

I found the proposal both ridiculous, yet very intelligent and thought proviking at the same time. I like how this guy went outside the box to come up with something that just might work, and that no one else is talking about.

Here's the gist of the plan, since I know a bunch of people are going to comment without reading the article which would send this topic way off course:

- He starts with the huge cost over-runs of the JSF, especially in life-cycle costs
- Nobody else is getting F-35B's since England cancelled --> (this might be wrong, I thought Italy or Spain were also, but surely not many)
- The main problem is fulfilling the VMA mission organic to the MEU afloat
- Minor mention of sundown of VMAQ
- Proposal: high/lo incorporation of land based F-22s and EMB 314 that can recover aboard the LHA.

The justification is that the F-22 is cheaper both on a per-copy basis and on a total life cycle cost basis. It is also more capable. The problems (of which there are many) include making the F-22 expeditionary

My thoughts: I think his plan is pretty interesting, if only for that fact that it would really piss off the Air Force to see Raptors with wall to wall pylons and Mk-84s or rocket pods. At the same time, he doesn't really factor in the extra costs of having 3 training pipelines and maintenance requirements (F-22, EMB 314, F-35C) versus just one-ish (F-35B/C).

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Can the Super T recover aboard the LHD, as well as take off from it with a mission loadout?

I thought the F-22 was deemed nearly incapable of A/G, CAS, and pretty much everything else besides A/A.

Three different aircraft is kind of the opposite line of thinking when the F-35 is supposed to "minimize" aircraft/pipelines/parts/training/supply.

Instead of thinking out of the box, I think he is throwing mud against the wall and hoping something sticks...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, but neither is an F-22 buy. At least with a Rhino, you'd get the capabilities that are appropriate for Marine Air. F-22 makes zero sense to me.

Brett

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Yeah, but neither is an F-22 buy. At least with a Rhino, you'd get the capabilities that are appropriate for Marine Air. F-22 makes zero sense to me.

Brett

Concur. Getting Rhinos is pretty unrealistic. Getting F-22s is absolutely ridiculous.

I didn't mean to infer that getting Raptors was in any way more realistic than getting Rhinos. Quite the opposite.

AJB37

Could the two of you stop crushing the dreams of 12 year olds who want to be Force Recon/ F-22 pilot/ Ninja.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Let's see here: the Navy, which actually has engaged enemy a/c in every U.S. conflict since WWII is buying Super Hornets for the air-to-mud & AA roles, but the USMC, which has fought very few dogfights since Korea must have an F-22 or F-35 for the air-to-mud role (at 3X the cost) because the F-18E/F is too outdated for their needs? Am I losing it, or is someone else smoking dope here?