• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps versus Navy Aviation Questions

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
Fear me, damn you...
F E A R M E ! ! ! ! ! !
:)

The best thing about Marine Corps Air is that they strap a gun to everything. I wouldn't be surprised to see Blimp gunships, Hot air balloon gunships, Paper Airplane gunships, etc.
God Bless the U.S. Marine Corps.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
The cult-like behavior often follows the "fake motivation is better than no motivation" mentality IMO. It CAN and WILL be done. Theres always a way. Most Marines can get motivated about damn near anything... especially if that anything involves certain quantities of ammunition and other goodies.

phrogpilot73

True, but you knew alot more about the Marine Corps than your average ROTC/USNA MIDN.
Good point... Come to think of it, when I made the choice the first time around, it was because the Navy recruiter pissed me off. He lied to my face, and also wouldn't shut up about Nuke. The Marine recruiter started off with "Boot Camp is hard, and it's gonna suck." I knew he probably wasn't going to lie to me after that...

The best thing about Marine Corps Air is that they strap a gun to everything. I wouldn't be surprised to see Blimp gunships, Hot air balloon gunships, Paper Airplane gunships, etc.
God Bless the U.S. Marine Corps.
Even the V-22! Having a plane without a gun is like fucking a hooker without a condom. It just doesn't make any sense...

Piano

USMC Aviation Questions

Dear Airwarriors community,

I wanted to first say thank you for taking the time to answer my many questions...and I also wanted to say that if I said something incorrectly (since I'm still considered a newbie poster), please feel free to constructively correct me, and I'll try my best to not repeat my mistake.

I graduated college recently and was looking at post-grad options. I've been taking science classes for a second bachelor's since I wasn't sure what I wanted to do (perhaps go into the science field) when I took hint of the Naval Aviation community. To be honest, I think it might be annoying to some, but I would personally LOVE to fly fighter jets. And not because of movies and the glamour, but because I feel I would have a direct impact on the soldiers on the ground (not to say that other aviation platforms do not have a direct impact...) But I would be fine with flying other platforms as well.

I was deciding between the Marines and the Navy, and I'm currently leaning more towards the Marines, due to more of a similar personality/goals to what the Marines offer. I know that the Marines and the Navy attend all the same flight training schools (with the exception being Marines going to TBS before reporting to API), but there was a specific question that I've been asking officer recruiters, and one which I wasn't able to get a satisfactory answer on.

I have glasses, and I was wondering if I should get LASIK eye surgery before I sign up to gain the air contract that the USMC offers, or if the Marines (or in this case, the Navy due to their healthcare system) will offer LASIK eye surgery to aspiring aviators right after gaining the contract. What I'm afraid of is that once I do sign up, I won't have a shot at flight school since I never would have the clear vision requirement, and the military would not pay for my surgery. Any thoughts on this, or are there aviators out there who had to undergo a similar procedure? I think the Marines will offer an eye surgery waiver, but that I have to research more and make sure I know what I'm getting myself into.

I was also wondering if current and past aviators could comment on the current airframe "shortage" that is facing the Marines and the Navy. I know that the Marines will get the F-35B soon (but soon is a relative word in the military) and I know this doesn't mean that right after flight school (considering I passed into jets) I will get to train in the F-35B. I just wanted to know the timeframe on which I should apply, so that I could maximize my chances of landing a Hornet slot...again, I know much of it is based on luck and your skills in flight school, and I'd be glad to fly many of the airframes that the Marines offer, as long as I'm helping the boots on the ground. It's just that the Hornet community is a goal I have upon joining the Corps...but again the needs of the Corps come first. Also, the Marines don't have any Super Hornets from what I understand, and the Hornets are wearing out/being retired faster than they are being brought in...which worries me a little. Does this mean that there are little to no jet slots being handed out to Marines right after primary? I don't know if this is worse for the Navy, and personally I don't want to make a branch decision based on my higher probability of landing a specific airframe...but the Navy is in a bind too, from what I have read. It seems the Air Force is the only branch that has the loads of money to continue pumping and lobbying for F-35A jets. (But I don't want to fly in the Air Force, for personal reasons...)

I've read quite a few instances where students were "forced" into T-38's, usually around the start of the fiscal year. This would be a "great" opportunity for me to maximize my shot - I know the timeframe is OCS/IFS, then TBS, then API, then primary. What would be the best time to apply in your professional opinion, if I wanted to enter primary training around the start of the fiscal year?

Thank you so much for helping me with my questions...I just need some honest folks to help me with these questions. I apologize in advance if what I say sounds idiotic (which probably a lot is) but if you could help direct me to a thread or site that has more info, that would be awesome as I could do my research.

Thanks again! :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you peruse the boards, you'll see that many things can happen to delay your package to get approved to a commissioning program so trying to time your application so you "enter primary training around the start of the fiscal year" isn't realistic. And your comment about "quite a few instances where students were "forced" into T-38's"????? Navy does not use the T-38 for flight training. Maybe you are confusing rumors about USAF, which does use them?

Piano

If you peruse the boards, you'll see that many things can happen to delay your package to get approved to a commissioning program so trying to time your application so you "enter primary training around the start of the fiscal year" isn't realistic. And your comment about "quite a few instances where students were "forced" into T-38's"????? Navy does not use the T-38 for flight training. Maybe you are confusing rumors about USAF, which does use them?

Thanks heyjoe for the honest response. I'm sorry about the T-38 reference...how exactly does the Navy/Marines utilize their primary track select? I've seen references to an NSS score...and I tried to dissect a really long thread as to how an NSS score is calculated, but would it be possible to get the most important points concerning the NSS?

I understand that timing an application is almost difficult to unrealistic. Perhaps I could ask a different question - when do many aspiring aviators apply? Is there a specific time of year that there are more students in one class than in another?

Thanks again!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Worrying about NSS right now is like meeting a girl in a bar and then worrying about how you're going to pay for the kid you're going to have in 5 years. You're probably asking about it because you want to get the platform of your choice, right? Here's the basics of NSS:

1. Don't worry about NSS. Trust me on this. There's a thousand other things to be worrying about in Primary and if you worry about them, chances are NSS won't be an issue.

2. If you want to go into the Navy/Marines, pick what you think is the "worst" platform of choice. What you think is the worst is irrelevant, and the sooner you realize that, the happier you'll be, but I digress... Pick the "worst," and plan on that being your platform. If you don't get that, you'll only be happy.

Flying is flying, being a Marine is being a Marine (and certainly a commitment), beyond that, don't sweat the small stuff like NSS.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I'm sorry about the T-38 reference...how exactly does the Navy/Marines utilize their primary track select? I've seen references to an NSS score...and I tried to dissect a really long thread as to how an NSS score is calculated, but would it be possible to get the most important points concerning the NSS?

Ok, I think we can all agree that we like the tone of your posts. They're respectful, use grammar and punctuation, and don't make demands. So, HJ and Gator have humored you a bit and answered your questions. Questions that are incorrect on their face, btw.

That being said, it's pretty obvious spending some time searching and browsing AW would be a huge benefit to you. You'll pick up some of AW's knowledges and, as Rumsfeld said, "know what you don't know." (paraphrase)

Once you get to that point you can ask some informed questions that we can give you meaningful answers to.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dev is spot on as usual. You're burning way too many brain cells worrying about things that you can't or shouldn't try to game. There are too many factors at play to discern what time of year versus how many students in a class because there are so many accession pipelines (USNA, NROTC, USMC/USN OCS....etc.) pouring people into the gateway of Naval Aviation. OCS makes up for what USNA and NROTC doesn't provide so you'll never know these things. Read the threads....apply early and keep at it until you get selected. That is best way to get a seat. Worrying about odds and chances is a waste of time and will eventually get you flamed here.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I was also wondering if current and past aviators could comment on the current airframe "shortage" that is facing the Marines and the Navy. I know that the Marines will get the F-35B soon (but soon is a relative word in the military) and I know this doesn't mean that right after flight school (considering I passed into jets) I will get to train in the F-35B. I just wanted to know the timeframe on which I should apply, so that I could maximize my chances of landing a Hornet slot...again, I know much of it is based on luck and your skills in flight school, and I'd be glad to fly many of the airframes that the Marines offer, as long as I'm helping the boots on the ground. It's just that the Hornet community is a goal I have upon joining the Corps...but again the needs of the Corps come first. Also, the Marines don't have any Super Hornets from what I understand, and the Hornets are wearing out/being retired faster than they are being brought in...which worries me a little. Does this mean that there are little to no jet slots being handed out to Marines right after primary? I don't know if this is worse for the Navy, and personally I don't want to make a branch decision based on my higher probability of landing a specific airframe...but the Navy is in a bind too, from what I have read. It seems the Air Force is the only branch that has the loads of money to continue pumping and lobbying for F-35A jets. (But I don't want to fly in the Air Force, for personal reasons...)

First off, nothing wrong with having goals. You want to fly jets, so be it. Go for it. However, you are worrying about stuff you can't control. There is no good or better time to enter the program to beat the system. The fact is this, about 75% of all Marine pilots are helo pilots. In the Navy, it's about 45%, give or take. The probability of you being a helo pilot is higher than not but it's not impossible to be a jet jock. It will depend on the needs of the service that week and your grades. But this is so far out for you, why worry? Worry about things you can control. If and when the time comes, then you can worry.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
To be honest, I think it might be annoying to some, but I would personally LOVE to fly fighter jets... But I would be fine with flying other platforms as well.

I have glasses, and I was wondering if I should get LASIK eye surgery before I sign up to gain the air contract that the USMC offers, or if the Marines (or in this case, the Navy due to their healthcare system) will offer LASIK eye surgery to aspiring aviators right after gaining the contract.

I was also wondering if current and past aviators could comment on the current airframe "shortage" that is facing the Marines and the Navy... there are little to no jet slots being handed out to Marines right after primary?

Goals are awesome, but its also necessary to understand that despite doing everything in your power and performing well, the Marine Corps may not have the same plan for you. Shoot for jets, and if you fall short you're still flying an awesome aircraft in the Marine Corps supporting the Killers on the ground.

The Marine Corps will not grant you an air contract if you're not physically qualified so you would have to pay for PRK/Lasik yourself

Regarding Marines and selection out of Primary. The current NSS for Marines to select jets is a 52. In the last three months I know of two Marines with a 52.X who were able to select strike and several others with higher scores. As of right now I don't feel there are any real shortages, but that is above my level. And I'll find out what I select in about four weeks, so it could change by then and certainly by the time you're in my position in two-plus years.

Thanks heyjoe for the honest response. I'm sorry about the T-38 reference...how exactly does the Navy/Marines utilize their primary track select? I've seen references to an NSS score...and I tried to dissect a really long thread as to how an NSS score is calculated, but would it be possible to get the most important points concerning the NSS?

I understand that timing an application is almost difficult to unrealistic. Perhaps I could ask a different question - when do many aspiring aviators apply? Is there a specific time of year that there are more students in one class than in another?

Thanks again!

The only thing you can do to improve your chances of selecting your pipeline and airframe are studying hard and knowing procedures/EPs/etc... cold on the ground so you're not learning them in the air, and hitting MIF/above as early in block as possible.

jtmedli

pilot
Worrying about NSS right now is like meeting a girl in a bar and then worrying about how you're going to pay for the kid you're going to have in 5 years. You're probably asking about it because you want to get the platform of your choice, right? Here's the basics of NSS:

1. Don't worry about NSS. Trust me on this. There's a thousand other things to be worrying about in Primary and if you worry about them, chances are NSS won't be an issue.

2. If you want to go into the Navy/Marines, pick what you think is the "worst" platform of choice. What you think is the worst is irrelevant, and the sooner you realize that, the happier you'll be, but I digress... Pick the "worst," and plan on that being your platform. If you don't get that, you'll only be happy.

Flying is flying, being a Marine is being a Marine (and certainly a commitment), beyond that, don't sweat the small stuff like NSS.

This certainly seems like the best advice in the thread. Especially the 2nd part!!

We've got 9 months of OCS/TBS before even thinking about API so select the service knowing that. Every USMC Officer I have spoken to has said that TBS was worthwhile and made them immensely better officers even if they hated being there.

Also, don't worry so much about airframe. All that "I want fighters" mess will get old (even to you). You'll learn that every airframe has strategic importance and most aviators love their plane/helo. The 2nd part of Gatordev's post is spot on. After I got out of AFROTC and looked around, I decided that the USMC was where I felt that I belonged. When there is no airframe in the Marine Corps that you would not be proud to fly then that is where you belong.

Someone asked me a few days ago if I was going to fly jet's and I said, "whatever it is, I just want it to say 'Marines' on the side". FWIW I thought I wanted fighters too when I first got into this but my 'big picture' has changed since then.