• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps versus Navy Aviation Questions

leonsparx

What are the major differences between what Marine jet squadrons do and Navy squadrons? Is there more of an emphasis on aerial support for infantry in the Marines? Less on dogfighting?

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
always remember, CAS or Close Air support, was developed by the Marine Corps. No one does it better and or spends more time practicing it. Only recently has the Navy been working back into the CAS arena. I'll remember that Prowler comment Ltjg Stevenson.
Major Hein

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Well, If that's the case, hey John, what's that sticking out the back of the P-3? Rectal Probe perhaps? Hey this P-3 dogging is kind of fun, Thanks Matt! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

hendrix

marine vs. navy pilots (# of slots)

Hi there. I heard that there is a better chance of becoming a Marine pilot because there are more slots. Is this true? And, what are the benifits of being a Marine pilot rather than a navy pilot? Thanks...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hi there. I heard that there is a better chance of becoming a marine pilot because there are more slots. Is this true? And, what are the benifits of being a marine pilot rather than a navy pilot? Thanks...

Before you get piled on, please do a search.....it has been covered before.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
And, what are the benifits of being a marine pilot rather than a navy pilot?

Being a Marine. If that's important to you, there is your answer. If it isn't, there is your answer too.

hendrix

Being a Marine is most definately been my goal. My grandfather was a Marine pilot in WWII. Thanks for the info and your time, I'll do a search.

phrogpilot73

I'm feeling generous today, so I won't dogpile onto a young man that has so much potential. Scoober's right, you need to want to be a Marine first. HAL and I talked about this, and it's mainly because of the "warrior ethos" or "cult-like-mentality" of the Marine Corps.

I've got an easy way for you to figure out which one you want to be... Ask yourself the following question: "If I get the NAMI-Whammy and I can't fly, what do I want to do?" If ships, subs, or other Navy stuff is your answer, than go Navy. If crawling around in the mud is your answer, than go Marine Corps.

I asked myself that same question over 10 years ago, and I went Marine. I'm glad I did.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Yeah, but its a fun cult. And all the other cults fear you.

Oh, and our helos fly tactical missions instead of Starboard Dee all day. (That is like a holding pattern, for those who don't know. And for those who don't know what a holding pattern is.....it is a boring circle in the sky. See Also: What you have to do when you get to the field too fast and it isn't open yet or what ATC does when you aren't their priority to get into a busy airport.)

3P4Life

Local JOPA Union Rep
OMFG Lrn2 g00g13 nub. {Jarh8d R'da 1337} + pwn da boiz in Blue.

friends don't let friends take the bonus.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I've got an easy way for you to figure out which one you want to be... Ask yourself the following question: "If I get the NAMI-Whammy and I can't fly, what do I want to do?" If ships, subs, or other Navy stuff is your answer, than go Navy. If crawling around in the mud is your answer, than go Marine Corps.

I asked myself that same question over 10 years ago, and I went Marine. I'm glad I did.

True, but you knew alot more about the Marine Corps than your average ROTC/USNA MIDN.