• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps to Open Infantry Officer Course to Women

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The easy solution is universal, performance-based standards.

Good luck with that.

Here's the thing. Every attrite costs time, manpower, and money. If a given standard washes 10% of one group out and 90% of another, either the standard will get lowered or a lot of wasted effort will occur. The option of excluding the second group altogether isn't going to be on the table.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Well if you want to play with numbers like that, yeah that's correct.

However, if you also want use per capita, then I'd still stand by it.

Not within a unit. Sure, a lot of guys I know go home with their share of women, but few of them are within the military ranks. I'd say women are far more likely to go home with someone from their unit than a guy, even if only due to numbers and women essentially having the pick of the litter due to their status of being a minority amongst a vast majority.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
pay closer attention.

RC is still right. The majority of males in the military date or marry civilians. It seems as if the vast majority of females in the military date/marry other service members. Take the conclusions for what you will, I think that's just the way it is.

Reconjoe

Everyone's cleared hot.

Popcorn.gif

robav8r

None
Contributor
Good luck with that.

Here's the thing. Every attrite costs time, manpower, and money. If a given standard washes 10% of one group out and 90% of another, either the standard will get lowered or a lot of wasted effort will occur. The option of excluding the second group altogether isn't going to be on the table.

and . . . . . the second group in your example could easily be applied to many other initiatives within DoD that attempt to "level the playing field" and make it more fair for everyone to play. My prediction? We will not exclude gender, sexual preference or ethnicity moving forward. And in order to do so, the standard will have to be lowered, no way around it.

Renegade One

None
Which gender, for the most part, is it easier to beat to death with an entrenching tool?
OMG...that's the service community selection standard? Remember...aviation went through all of this crap...PAINFULLY...in the last two decades, and one day we understood that the airplanes just didn't care. Nor did the division leads, the section leads, the wingmen, the maintenance troops...well, you get the idea.

phrogpilot73

OMG...that's the service community selection standard? Remember...aviation went through all of this crap...PAINFULLY...in the last two decades, and one day we understood that the airplanes just didn't care. Nor did the division leads, the section leads, the wingmen, the maintenance troops...well, you get the idea.
After having been in both a squadron and an infantry battalion, I can tell you that it IS different. There is a physical component to the work of an Infantryman that isn't necessarily prevalent in the squadron. I'm all about women serving in the infantry, but much like most fire departments - they have to pass a standardized physical test, where there are no gender normalized scores.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One would imagine that this is the reason that SOF has been able to stiff-arm gender integration. I wonder how long it will last. Being that they already have a high attrition rate, it would seem like this would be a good a test case for gender neutral physical standards as any.