• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps Aviation Contract Lengths

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
You're right on calling me out, that was poorly written.

What I mean is that not only are you handing over 50% of what you already have, but if you and your wife are together for 10 years while in the service, then she will be receiving a direct deposit of 50% of your retirement pension. So, add retirement pension to child support and 50% or more of what you owned at the time of the divorce...

This is such a common and unfortunately uninformed perception of how divorce will work. Every state has different laws and while some overlap they do differ (sometimes greatly).

MB got screwed- but I have two buddies (one Navy, one Marine) who owe their exwives absolutely nothing and were married for a good amount of time.

And realize this- in most states that have that type of pension clause- if the dependent remarries they lose that 1/2 of the pension.

falanor

Some great conversation on here. And some even greater points have been brought up. Thank you. I hope it's not forward, but I will be PMing a few of you with some follow-up questions.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
but if you and your wife are together for 10 years while in the service, then she will be receiving a direct deposit of 50% of your retirement pension.

Not only that, but the portion (%) that she receives is considered 'community property', not alimony; therefore, if/when she remarries...you're not off the hook until you or she passes on (unless our gub'mint goes bankrupt, this all thanks to Congressperson Patsy Schroeder, (D) Colorado.:( That law has been tweaked & changed a number of times since enacted in the early '70s & may vary some from to state.

Don't even ask me how I know... :rolleyes:
BzB