• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps Aviation Contract Lengths

falanor

Gentlemen,

I am a 25 college graduate in the process of a Marine Corps application. I have finished MEPS and am waiting for my eye surgery waiver before I get cleared to Pensacola.

I have heard various reports, even from my OSO, about the length of an aviation contact, depending on your platform. The most common numbers I have heard are for jets being 8 years and helicopters being 6 years.

Since my Fiance has recently gotten cold-ish feet about being "owned" by the military for 10 years, I was hoping for some firmer information to calm her fears/make solid plans. So can anyone confirm or refute a specific contract length?

Much thanks,

Robert F

P.S. - Apologize if this has already been asked. I searched the forums, but couldn't find this after 3 pages of searching. Figured it was a safe bet to ask. However, if someone can post a link to a thread with the information I will gladly head there.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm pretty sure it's all 8 years from winging now. When I came in was 6 for helos/tiltrotor and 8 for fixed wing. I've been in for more than 3 years and haven't winged yet (Jets)- so that is 11+ years that I'll be giving our rich uncle from Washington.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
If she's freaking out about your contract length at this point, something's got to give.

Run like hell.

Either TO her, and AWAY from the Corps, or vice versa.

Not a shot at her or you, just a word of advice from a guy who's been there and sees a HUGE red flag.

falanor

@ Harrier Dude - I hear you. There are other reasons for her being apprehensive, including health issues and fears she will grow resentful during deployments. I'm trying to handle the issues one at a time to help her overcome them: I feel both the Corps and her are the right choices to make. But, in the end, I'll have to go with her. I just hope I don't have to make that choice. Still, message received. Thank you.

@Swanee - 11 years? Definitely more than I thought: I was under the impression the contract length started from commissioning. Misunderstanding or not, I guess that's recruitment for you. What an amazing 8-11 years that will be though. Anyway, thank you.

phrogpilot73

@Swanee - 11 years? Definitely more than I thought: I was under the impression the contract length started from commissioning. Misunderstanding or not, I guess that's recruitment for you. What an amazing 8-11 years that will be though. Anyway, thank you.
Contract length for aviators starts the day you get your wings.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Kind of curious, because this recently happened to a buddy of mine:

If you get FFPB'd or FNAEBD'd even a week after your winging, then you are on the hook for those 8 years still, correct? If that is true, in a way its odd, because it seems to me like there are guys on the ground side fighting to get career designated and be retained (maybe "fighting isn't the right word, but its not a gimme like it used to be). Yet, if you are a fallen angel they just guarantee you those 8 years. Perhaps things are different in the Navy.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

If you get FFPB'd or FNAEBD'd even a week after your winging, then you are on the hook for those 8 years still, correct? If that is true, in a way its odd, because it seems to me like there are guys on the ground side fighting to get career designated and be retained (maybe "fighting isn't the right word, but its not a gimme like it used to be). Yet, if you are a fallen angel they just guarantee you those 8 years. Perhaps things are different in the Navy.

....What does someone get FFPB'd a week after winging for?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

Interesting thought. Just don't suck, and you won't have to worry about it.

dan_matheny

Heads on Pikes
Falanor,

I signed my air-contact in May and here is the deal:
- no matter what you fly, it's gonna be an 8 year contact.
- The contact does not start until you get your wings. (S0 with OSC, TBS, flight school(s), it really is going to be ABOUT 10+ years after everything is said and done.)
- if for some reason you fail out of flight school, your contract becomes a ground contract for 4 years from that point.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Dude, I don't want you to take this as a personal attack against your old lady, but if she's already freaking out you may need to make a decision between her or the service. You do not want to get divorced while in the military. Uncle Sam has some strong consequences for divorce while in the military. Tread lightly.

Where is MB when we need him?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
What are those "strong consequences?" Talking the normal military, not about MB.

Renegade One

None
There are other reasons for her being apprehensive, ...fears she will grow resentful during deployments.
The two of you need to go into this with "eyes wide open". No sense in "sugar-coating" the basic facts: deployments are HARD...on everyone. I can say that if your "intended" is willing to become a vibrant and active member of the squadron "Spouses Group" and is willing to "huddle up" with her friends and "new family" who are all going through it together...it can be more fun and enjoyable. Even easier if she has a job/career of her own...but that's not necessary...just works better for those who are wired that way.
Deployments can (often do) make good marriages stronger...but can sadly destroy many others.
"Just the facts, ma'am..."

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
The two of you need to go into this with "eyes wide open". No sense in "sugar-coating" the basic facts: deployments are HARD...on everyone. I can say that if your "intended" is willing to become a vibrant and active member of the squadron "Spouses Group" and is willing to "huddle up" with her friends and "new family" who are all going through it together...it can be more fun and enjoyable. Even easier if she has a job/career of her own...but that's not necessary...just works better for those who are wired that way.
Deployments can (often do) make good marriages stronger...but can sadly destroy many others.
"Just the facts, ma'am..."

(I'm a spouse, not a pilot, so I'm speaking from that side of the house.)

In most cases, it can absolutely be done without the spouses club or any of that, as well. That completely depends on how her personality, among other things. But the option is there and for those so-inclinded, it can sometimes be a great support system.

However, that fact that she is already thinking about the possibility of resentment should be a major concern. One doesn't resent choices she sees are her own; she resents choices that other's make that affect her. That means she looks at this as something *you* are doing and you are choosing, despite her. That will never, ever turn out well.

Length of commitment should be the least of your concerns. If she can't tolerate 11 years, she won't tolerate 8 years either. If this is something she's going into planning to white knuckle her way through and hope it is over quickly, prepare for much misery all around.

Just as being a pilot or a service member isn't for everyone--and that isn't a statement about values or character-- being a military spouse isn't for everyone either. She may be the perfect girl to be your wife, but think long and hard about whether she's the perfect girl to be a Navy spouse.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
What are those "strong consequences?" Talking the normal military, not about MB.

You're right on calling me out, that was poorly written.

What I mean is that not only are you handing over 50% of what you already have, but if you and your wife are together for 10 years while in the service, then she will be receiving a direct deposit of 50% of your retirement pension. So, add retirement pension to child support and 50% or more of what you owned at the time of the divorce...