• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Air contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't think I was asking if some how magically due to my racing background could hop into a plane and be great right away. More like would the skills developed over years of racing be significantly advantagous and relevent to military flying?

On your third point, obviously the comparison is meaningless, but that doesn't make it any less entertaining.

Significantly advantageous? No, but it's still an interesting topic. And for those who poo poo putting a car next to an airplane... There's nothing really relevant on Top Gear, but that doesn't make it an incredibly amusing way to spend an hour.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I missed this post, trust me your wife is right, unless you want to go broke whatever you do, don't try racing or track days! First you'll need a helmet, then you'll need to spend money on suspension, then you'll need track tires, then you'll need a trailer since your cars no longer street legal, then you'll need a truck to tow the trailer, then your car will be so fast you need a cage and seats, then you'll decide to go racing......

I already drag race quite a bit. The helmet is the easy part...I've got my race tires, my compressor, my tools, lift, etc. I think I need to get a tow package for the Vette, otherwise the wife has to follow in the Tahoe, I can't fit it all in the Vette. Now add in going around the turns, maybe brake pads, 4 tires, etc. Suspension mods, driver mod, yeah it adds up. Now I can't imagine doing it weekly across different cities, states. I knew one guy who did but he had sponsors which greatly helped in the monetary/parts category. He ran a 93 5.0 LX Stang and a 95 Cobra R.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... Does being a racecar drive mean you will be a good pilot?... Alot of racecar drivers enjoy airplanes...
Trophy Wife drives like a man. She bought a Corvette w/ her own $$$$, stupid husband #1 made her sell it.

She'd make a good Attack Pilot, I am certain ... she'd also make a good race car "pilot".

She "enjoys" me, so I suppose the "circle" is complete???

And the moral: speed is life??

LP23

Gound Contract to Air Contract

Hello. I'm a college sophomore trying to apply for the PLC junior class this summer. I want to fly, and thus go in under an aviation contract. I take the ASTB this Saturday, but it won't be graded by this month's application board meeting of the 12th. So my recruiter wants me to sign a Ground contract and then switch it to Aviation once I get the scores back. He says it would be best to secure a spot at PLC first, and if I take a ground contract, I wouldn't have to wait until the January board meeting.

Now I know it can be done, but I'm a little hestitant to do it. I mean, it's still a contract; they're not supposed to be easy to change. I'd really appreciate any input from people who've taken this path. My OSO is going to discuss the details with me this weekend, but I'd like some other opinions.

I've been to MEPS and am medically qualified for SNA. I haven't taken the PFT yet (that's this Saturday too) but I'm expecting a 270-280 score. And I expect to do well on the ASTB. These are all things that seem to hurt people who try to go from a Ground contract to an Aviation contract, so I don't think they'll be a problem for me. Again, I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
Hello. I'm a college sophomore trying to apply for the PLC junior class this summer. I want to fly, and thus go in under an aviation contract. I take the ASTB this Saturday, but it won't be graded by this month's application board meeting of the 12th. So my recruiter wants me to sign a Ground contract and then switch it to Aviation once I get the scores back. He says it would be best to secure a spot at PLC first, and if I take a ground contract, I wouldn't have to wait until the January board meeting.

Now I know it can be done, but I'm a little hestitant to do it. I mean, it's still a contract; they're not supposed to be easy to change. I'd really appreciate any input from people who've taken this path. My OSO is going to discuss the details with me this weekend, but I'd like some other opinions.

I've been to MEPS and am medically qualified for SNA. I haven't taken the PFT yet (that's this Saturday too) but I'm expecting a 270-280 score. And I expect to do well on the ASTB. These are all things that seem to hurt people who try to go from a Ground contract to an Aviation contract, so I don't think they'll be a problem for me. Again, I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

His plan works fine for you as long as he can switch your contract in his office without having to go through higher (district). If the authority to switch the contract has to come from someone higher than your OSO, it will take time to do that (especially over the holidays), so you might as well wait for the next board.

Nafod

Change I can belive in
Its a contract. If you dont want to adhere to it, dont sign it. If you do then be prepared to fulfill it.

I would wait till i get what i want.

Fetter

I think the first thing you need to do is recognize that this the Marine Corps and they want to be sure you desire to be a Marine Officer first. I started the whole PLC process because I wanted to be a pilot, but they put the paperwork in front of me before I had the chance to take the ASTB. I hadn't fully warmed up to the 'ground' idea at the time, but I did not want my OSO thinking that I would shy away from a possible ground position. I signed my ground contract in Nov 07 and took the ASTB in Dec 07. I passed the ASTB, signed to transfer to air, and received approval in February I believe. I had no problems and it may have been easier to transfer from ground to air than trying to get the air contract to start.

burningfeathers

Reading the grout jokes
Friend of mine is in TBS right now, he's trying to switch from ground to air, and he's having a fairly easy time pulling it off. I think all he has to do is to do is take another flight physical as he screwed up his knee directly after his first one.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Wait and extra few weeks. You are probably anxious to have the everything all set up, but the whole applying for OCS process takes a while. You can show that you "just want to be a Marine Officer" attitude in other ways. For instance, by applying for a ground contract if you are turned down for air.

I switched to air at TBS (later than you are talking about switching, but applicable nonetheless), and it was "not" easy. Our company only had 3 competitive air, and I was the lowest ranked guy to get a slot at 20 something out of 200+.

LOSLOAR

don't bring your coffee to FOD walk

That's basically what i did. I went to OCS (10-week) as a ground contract and got it changed to air my senior year before TBS. Just make sure it's the way you want it before you accept your commission. Cause once you get orders for TBS, you've got what you've got.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
words ... problems ... more words ...

That's basically what i did. I went to OCS (10-week) as a ground contract and got it changed to air my senior year before TBS. Just make sure it's the way you want it before you accept your commission. Cause once you get orders for TBS, you've got what you've got.
yea, what losloar said ... your OSO isn't out to screw you. As a matter of fact, if you did sign the PLC-ground contract and he tried to screw you, you don't have to accept the commission and tell him to go eat a dick. But he isn't going to do that 'cause it's a waste of his & the Marine Corps time to put you through OCS then screw you over to where you don't accept your commission after college. Get accepted to OCS and let the OSO worry about getting your air contract.

S/F

Fetter

I agree, OSOs aren't out to screw you...or maybe I've just had a pleasant experience so far with mine

great_daines

Sorry to bring up an old thread guys. looking at this thread, I have to ask a question. Dont know if you guys remember my other thread where i asked about joining the reserves, then serving an LDS mission, then going into PLC. I just swore in a few weeks ago and i ship to boot camp march 16th in san diego. I talked to my First Sergeant about a mission and it seems pretty squared away since others in C company have done the same. i cant WAIT to become a marine, even if it means delaying becoming an officer. i want to serve at least one deployment before i become an officer. now for my question. What was on you proir-reservist's minds when you enlisted? Did you know you were gunna become an officer? do some of you regret enlisting because you mostly wanted to become an officer? Any feedback is appreciated

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
My recruiting officer has told me time and again that by enlisting I will get a heads up on the competion for this PLC slot.

(Just noticed the thread dates but maybe my post will still give you some insight on what's on my reservist son's mind LOL)

Here is real world experience. I have two sons. Both wanted to be Officers of Marines. Both are Marines now but they have two very different stories to tell.

The youngest jumped first using the logic above. Join the reserves, graduate boot camp, go to college, apply for PLC and after acceptance do Jr's and Sr's. No reserve drilling. Graduate college and commission.

Looks good on paper and might have worked that way in a perfect world. Nobody ever dreamed that he would get mono his first semester and end up with less than a 2.0 GPA. No PLC and now he is a reserve Marine. OK no problem. So the plan is to stay in school, get the GPA up and he can still apply for PLC in a few semesters.

Not so fast. In his second semester his reserve unit tells him to prepare for an IA tour in Iraq. (Mortuary Affairs) This IA tour will begin before his second semester is over so he drops out of college. His reserve unit then decides they don't need him to IA after all. Now he is out of school with no job etc. (and I'm thanking God he didn't have to go to TQ and prepare the Angels for their journey)

He's a sharp kid, MOS 0656, Data Marine. His reserve unit XO offers him a job with XOs companie's IT dept making great money. Now he loves his job, they love him and he's a drilling reservist. A year later he gets his IA orders.

This network switch and router guy, who joined the Marines to be an officer, goes to Fallujah as a .50 cal gunner on an armored up Humvee. (He's loving this shit because he is a data geek behind a machine gun LOL.) He survives over 100 security missions outside the wire and comes home without a scratch. His platoon loses 4 KIA.

Now he is home, a proud Cpl of Marines. He enjoyed his IA tour. It looks like his old company wants him back enough to offer him a promotion and a lot more money. He'll take that but Afghanistan is on the horizon. It's been over 4 years and he hasn't applied for PLC yet.

My oldest son went to college, applied for PLC, went to OCS, finished college, got his eyes cut, waver approved for SNA and commissioned. He's now at TBS with Mike Co waiting for a slot with Charlie so he can begin living the dream in P'cola.

Real world not theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.