• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

March2022 AMDO Board

r3coil

The AMDO OCM did not suggest anything, but he did endorse my TIS waiver request. A friend of mine unfortunately got his denied due to not being competitive enough. So I'm assuming that having the endorsement from the OCM means that I'm somewhat still competitive. I'd like to think that my evals and accomplishments thus far make me pretty competitive, but who knows really. Whether or not LORs truly help, is also debatable because I know selectees who did not have any either. Either way, we'll find out in a few weeks.
Did the AMDO OCM suggested anything for you to add to improve your package? Usually they do. Anyway, i suggest add LORs in your package as these are people that actually worked with you and know you, these could really help your application as well. It doesn’t matter if they are not AMDOs, as long as they are officers that could give good words about you on your Letter of Recommendations (LOR). Maybe you’re Divo or MO or any officers you worked with.

Tora

The AMDO OCM did not suggest anything, but he did endorse my TIS waiver request. A friend of mine unfortunately got his denied due to not being competitive enough. So I'm assuming that having the endorsement from the OCM means that I'm somewhat still competitive. I'd like to think that my evals and accomplishments thus far make me pretty competitive, but who knows really. Whether or not LORs truly help, is also debatable because I know selectees who did not have any either. Either way, we'll find out in a few weeks.
When you don’t get picked up how do you find out why you didn’t get picked up or maybe advice?

r3coil

When you don’t get picked up how do you find out why you didn’t get picked up or maybe advice?
You don't. You never really get an explanation as to why. Same thing applies for everything else in the Navy when it comes to different boards. As for advice, I've always sought out different AMDOs and had them screen my application.

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
I think main reason was because I was lacking an EP as a first class. Was in the process of getting that eval progression in my command during my previous applications. My evals now are MP, #1 MP and #2 EP. Yea it was difficult getting more amdo appraisals due to being on a carrier. The appraisals I got were from the highest ranking amdos on the boat. AIMD MO, AIMD MMCO and fleet MO. Im hoping that my experience with my eval progression together with me having my safe for flight will help me out this time. Either way, these are all just assumptions. I'll continue applying until the AMDO OCM tells me that im not competitive anymore.
Good evening, lacking EP shouldn’t be a reason as to get selected, just as long you as you were recommended for promotion. Me for example, my evals are P, Mp, P the reason for this is because I recently got mapped to first, so it showed progress to my first command from a p, to mp, then mapped to first, then P again. My write was phenomenal however

Sabro23

Hey everyone! This is my first time applying.

My Stats:
AT1 w/ 6yrs TIS

Commands: FRC (Seaop and now Shore)

Degree: BS Criminal Justice 3.83 (Enrolled in Embry-Riddle for MBA)

Evals: EP, MP, EP (all E-5 evals)

OAR: 48

Appraisals: O-5x2, O-4x2

LORs: Retired O-5

I thought my package was pretty solid until I’ve read on here that some people have 7 appraisals and LORs, now I’m not so sure. Do y’all think less is more or should I try to get more appraisals and everything if I need to reapply?

r3coil

My Stats:
AT1 w/ 6yrs TIS

I thought my package was pretty solid until I’ve read on here that some people have 7 appraisals and LORs, now I’m not so sure. Do y’all think less is more or should I try to get more appraisals and everything if I need to reapply?
In my opinion, I wouldn't stress about it. I've been told that quality always holds more weight over quantity. On the other hand though, if you have the opportunity to get an appraisal from someone really high ranked, then it definitely won't hurt. To be honest, you may be more competitive than others for the mere fact that you have only 6 years TIS. The AMDO community is really pushing for competitive candidates with low TIS. For those like myself who are pushing close to 10, our accomplishments really need to be substantial. That's at least from what I've observed from seeing multiple applications from previous selectees.

RhodesReese

My Stats:
AT1 w/ 6yrs TIS

I submitted my application to the IP board with four appraisals and 1 LOR. The two appraisals for the IP community were prominent members in the community. Ie. a plank owner for 1820 or a very senior O6 who’s been around for a while.

My LOR was from an O8 recommending for commission. He was active duty at the time of writing the recommendation but retired by the time my OCS package was submitted.

My recommendation is to get 1x LOR from someone that knows you and has worked with you but they aren't required. They are just extra, so dont stress if you cant get one.

You won’t need 7 + on any of them. I probably should have just submitted three and the one LOR. It’s the quality that matters and your record.

And keep in mind that sometimes even though you may have a solid record and achievements, some may have better ones. Never stop applying. I just saw a 20 year Master Chief who joined in 1999 get selected for a community. Keep pushing.

Last edited:

Tora

Hello all. Will be applying for AMDO for the 4th time. AD1 here with nearly 10 years TIS. I'm a career super hornet mech, with the majority of my career spent forward deployed in Japan. Got my SFF last year (with usage) and #2 EP last November. My last eval will be the only new addition to my package, and I am hoping it will help out. Being rejected three times has been rough, but I will continue to apply until they tell me to knock it off lol.

My appraisals were two O-5s and one O-4. All 10s. I got no LORs.

Good luck everyone.
I would recommend adding some LORs if you could.

exNavyOffRec

I submitted my application to the IP board with four appraisals and 1 LOR. The two appraisals for the IP community were prominent members in the community. Ie. a plank owner for 1820 or a very senior O6 who’s been around for a while.

My LOR was from an O8 recommending for commission. He was active duty at the time of writing the recommendation but retired by the time my OCS package was submitted.

My recommendation is to get 1x LOR from someone that knows you and has worked with you but they aren't required. They are just extra, so dont stress if you cant get one.

You won’t need 7 + on any of them. I probably should have just submitted three and the one LOR. It’s the quality that matters and your record.

And keep in mind that sometimes even though you may have a solid record and achievements, some may have better ones. Never stop applying. I just saw a 20 year Master Chief who joined in 1999 get selected for a community. Keep pushing.
You would have been selected without any of those extra LOR's as your GPA, degree and the certifications are far above those who are normally selected.

Applicants must remember that for the designators that do look at LOR's they like to see an LOR from someone that has seen a person perform over time (at least 6 months).

Sabro23

Thanks for your insight and encouragement. I can honestly say I’ve never heard of someone with that much TIS get picked up so it’s definitely encouraging. Also, congratulations on your selection!!

ehm831

Does anybody know if it is still possible to get selected for another designator if you have been selected already for another one? I applied for Supply and AMDO and already got selected for Supply. I just wonder if I can choose if I get selected for both. Thank you in advance.

ehm831

Does anybody know if it is still possible to get selected for another designator if you have been selected already for another one? I applied for Supply and AMDO and already got selected for Supply. I just wonder if I can choose if I get selected for both. Thank you in advance.
The board was just a month apart and I got the confirmation that I will be in the AMDO board as well.