• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

March 2015 IDC Board

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
Maybe the rumor was accurate? Also, I'm interested in your answer to Cody's question regarding additional medical appointments. I seem to be far more informed than my command about my PRO-REC-Y at this point.

I shot him a PM to continue the conversation. I've explained a lot of my experience with the process in this and other threads, so check out my posting history. If you have any other questions, let me know.

• Double Major: International Relations and Asian Studies
  • Minor: Japanese
  • GPA: 3.38
  • ASTB-E: 67/8/7/8
  • Leadership: Inspector General of JROTC in Highschool. Founder of a sign language club in college. Manager duties at Red Robin.
  • LOR: Managers as well as 2 O-6's

Maybe start on your Master's? GPA isn't terrible, but, from what I've seen for civilian applicants, they're usually north of 3.5. If you can maintain a 3.8-4.0 in a Master's, that'll bring your combined mark to around that area.
Additionally, some recommendations from senior officers in the designators for which you're applying might make a difference. @NavyOffRec and @RUFiO181 will be quick to let you know that re-applying after receiving an "N" doesn't usually work out, but there are other programs that you are definitely a GREAT candidate for (SWO/Aviation [excellent ASTB scores!]).

Pro-Rec Y, 18300

Congrats! What are your stats?

pdt_192

Maybe start on your Master's? GPA isn't terrible, but, from what I've seen for civilian applicants, they're usually north of 3.5. If you can maintain a 3.8-4.0 in a Master's, that'll bring your combined mark to around that area.
Additionally, some recommendations from senior officers in the designators for which you're applying might make a difference. @NavyOffRec and @RUFiO181 will be quick to let you know that re-applying after receiving an "N" doesn't usually work out, but there are other programs that you are definitely a GREAT candidate for (SWO/Aviation [excellent ASTB scores!]).

Thanks. I would love to go for my Masters, if it didn't cost so much. I can't afford to go for my Masters. I already have a large amount of loans I'm paying on.
As for SWO, I was told that most of them are out to sea for long periods of time every year (months upon months at a time sometimes). I dont mind being deployed on one or whatever is necessary, but I dont think I could do it every year which is why I focused more on a land based designator (IDC) (not the only reason I chose IDC of course)

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
As for SWO, I was told that most of them are out to sea for long periods of time every year (months upon months at a time sometimes). I dont mind being deployed on one or whatever is necessary, but I dont think I could do it every year which is why I focused more on a land based designator (IDC).)

So, I can't speak for the Air Force (and not an intentional jab to any Airmen out there), but deploying is the name of the game in the military. IWO's deploy. INTEL O's deploy. IP's most certainly deploy. It just depends on where you're at on your career path. What's more, all of these designators begin to crossover at the top, meaning that O-5/O-6 IWO's, INTEL O's and IP's could all hold the same position at sea. If you're in the military, you're going to deploy; you SHOULD deploy. If you don't, yes, you've served, but what kind of career was that really? Take it from a guy whose in-rate shipmates could spend 20 years without ever seen a non-shore duty station, forget a ship.
No knocks on anyone in the civilian world doing this; there are some very important desk and office jobs. That's just not, in my opinion, what anyone applying for a commission in the military should expect of their position.

FltEng

I'm prior Air Force so a lot gets lost in translation. Here's the basics:

OAR:60
BS Professional Aero GPA 3.5
MA Intelligence, Security Studies, and Analysis GPA 3.8

9.5 years Air Force, Aircrew Evaluator, 2000+ flt hours
Airman Leadership School Distinguished Grad
Numerous quarterly and annual awards
LOR's: Navy O-5 (fmr sub cc), AF O-6 (Retired Intel O/College Prof), AF O-5 (Sqdn CC)

FltEng

Maybe the rumor was accurate? Also, I'm interested in your answer to Cody's question regarding additional medical appointments. I seem to be far more informed than my command about my PRO-REC-Y at this point.
I applied as a civilian so they definitely looked at us.

pdt_192

So, I can't speak for the Air Force (and not an intentional jab to any Airmen out there), but deploying is the name of the game in the military. IWO's deploy. INTEL O's deploy. IP's most certainly deploy. It just depends on where you're at on your career path. What's more, all of these designators begin to crossover at the top, meaning that O-5/O-6 IWO's, INTEL O's and IP's could all hold the same position at sea. If you're in the military, you're going to deploy; you SHOULD deploy. If you don't, yes, you've served, but what kind of career was that really? Take it from a guy whose in-rate shipmates could spend 20 years without ever seen a non-shore duty station, forget a ship.
No knocks on anyone in the civilian world doing this; there are some very important desk and office jobs. That's just not, in my opinion, what anyone applying for a commission in the military should expect of their position.
I have no issues deploying. Dont get me wrong...I certainly agree with you there. I would just prefer my deployments be more land than sea. Maybe I should look into more Air Force/Army Intel instead. Thanks for your help and insight usnavymle

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Kinda late to be asking this, but is there anything I could've done? besides my GPA of course since that is pretty much set in stone...

Here are some of my info...

• Double Major: International Relations and Asian Studies
  • Minor: Japanese
  • GPA: 3.38
  • ASTB-E: 67/8/7/8
  • Leadership: Inspector General of JROTC in Highschool. Founder of a sign language club in college. Manager duties at Red Robin.
  • LOR: Managers as well as 2 O-6's

Apply for Pilot/NFO and/or SWO. Just make sure SWO isn't your third choice.

exNavyOffRec

I have no issues deploying. Dont get me wrong...I certainly agree with you there. I would just prefer my deployments be more land than sea. Maybe I should look into more Air Force/Army Intel instead. Thanks for your help and insight usnavymle

Might be a good idea, many Intel officers I have served with spent a few years attached to a ship/squadron on a ship so if you want to deploy but not on ships try AF or Army.