• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Make more room at the table

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeacoatMan

The good news arrived!

I am also going to OCS with a pilot spot. I am still a junior in college, so I have quite some time before I go.

Thank you all for the insight; please continue to support this fantastic site.

Fly NAVY!
Joey

kraused

Joey,
Congrads on your acceptence. How long did it take for you to get a response? My packet went out last week.
Dan

spidrwmn

Joey,

First of all, CONGRATS! Second, what did you do differently preparing for the ASTB the second time? Because I have to take the ASTB again sometime this semester. Thanks!

- spider

PeacoatMan

Dan,

I am pretty sure my packet went out 3 December. So that is 1.5 months it took for me to receive verification. I guess you have to factor in the two holidays also. But (and you know there had to be a but) the eye doctor who gave my exam wrote too illegibly for the selection committee, so I had to get another eye exam last week to have sent to Millington. ImBartSimpson sent his packet off a few days after me and received acceptance on 19 Dec. So, Dan, that's two scenarios for you.

Spider,

For the 2nd round ASTB, I didn't do much differently in terms of preparation, because it was my BIO that nailed me the first time. I know I'm cut out to be a Naval Aviator, so I passed it the 2nd go around.

Good luck to you both and everyone else,
Joey

Paul Burke

It was the bio that nailed me the first time around too. You can answer those questions either technically speaking or practically speaking and have 2 different answers while both being true. That part is almost more of a test in how to take a test. Studying the Marine study guide shot all of my other scores higher.

Good Luck with it Dan

kraused

Joey,
You are right, there always seems to be a "but" in this process.
My recruiter told me to expect 2 weeks so I have about a week left. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Dan

kraused

Spider,
I also took the ASTB twice because I didn't pass the PBI section. The second time around I tried to answer all the questions aggressively. My recruiter told me if they ask you if you have ever parachuted and you haven't, but would like to, then answer yes. They are looking for people willing to take risks, but of course, risks that aren't too aggressive. Good Luck with the test!
Dan

mattlowery

Just wanted to say hi. I'm brand new tot he forum. I was selected for OCS last week, Pilot. I will be going in March sometime, but I still have to find out all the details. Do they send you any mail after they select you, of any kind? It took about a week for me to get a decision, so not too bad. I look forward to the experience. I turn 24 on January 27th, am a financial underwriter right now, but want to be a pilot. I'm sure i'll beo n these boards more in the next few weeks, so I'll have plenty of questions as time passes i'm sure. Take care everyone!

mklepac

Matt, they should send you a congratulation letter. That's all I got. It basically told me 'congrats...now start exercising!' ;) I'm not sure about the actual orders though. I'm expecting them anytime though...about a month before I leave. ??

wali

Hey Guys;
Are you all talking about the BDCP program. That's how I got my Pilot slot. The whole process took no more than 3 weeks(after I turned in all my paper work). I, however, didn't get a letter but a call instead from my recruiter. I was told to come down next day and sign the contracts so I could start getting paid. It's a pretty good program, I always wanted to be a Fighter Pilot. Now, I have a Pilot slot and I got it at the end of my sophomore year.
Ali

mattlowery

Wali,

actually we were talking about the actual OCS application process. we are both going within a few months, and then on to API. the BDCP program sounds pretty cool, but i don't think they were using it near as much as they are now when i was in school. Hey Mike, or anyone else for that matter, how are you getting to OCS? are you driving or flying? I am thinking i am just going to leave my car here until after the 13 weeks is over. from what i understand, there are normally about 10 days of leave after OCS, and so i figured i'd come back and get it and then drive back to P-Cola. any thoughts? i think i am going to leave my stuff in storage for a few months until i figure out what i am going to do. i think the Navy will move it for you whenever you figure out whatever you're gonna do about living arrangements, right? later all........

wali

I apologize for the misunderstanding. Anyhow, Best of Luck at the OCS. Also, kick-butt at the API and Primary. Have you guys decided on what you would like to fly in they Navy? If you don't mind me asking.
Take Care and Best Wishes!
Ali

mklepac

I am going to drive to P-cola. I am leaving NC on 2/9 and will be with my family in Tampa until the 23rd. I think it's about an 8 hour drive from TPA to P-cola. I've put all my junk in storage and the recruiter said the Navy will move it after OCS. I don't know if they will actually have someone move it or if I have to move it and they reinburse me. Anyone know?

Grunt

I haven't been specifically involved with a move associated with OCS or aviation training, but I would imagine that you would have any of the 3 typical military move options available to you.

1. Complete move: Navy contracts with a moving company to box up and ship all your stuff from your "home" to your new duty station.

2. Do It Yourself (DITY) Move: You move it yourself and are reimbursed for it based on reciepts and weight tickets from before and after the loading of the truck you use to move your stuff.

3. Partial DITY: You move some and the Navy contracts for the rest just like under option number 1.

My PERSONAL opinion based on my experience with military moves is to do whatever you can on your own. The main resons are that you can safeguard your own stuff and keep it from being damaged, and because if you move it you know it will be delivered on time to where you want it. You see, under option 1 if you are not available at the time and place the shipper arrives with your stuff they sign it over to the Navy who packs it all in a warehouse and it can take some time to get it back. I was very fortunate in that when I used option 1, the shipper was a VERY good owner/operator contraced by a moving company and he worked closely with me to coordinate delivery. Just some thoughts (they probably went astray from what you wanted to hear, but oh well).

Mike the Grunt

Status
Not open for further replies.