• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MAJOR IRR Policy Change...

aah80

None
I got a quota to transition from IRR to SELRES in Oct 2017. Because I have a rating, I was told by my recruiter I could not get my physical through an MTF but would have to go through MEPS.
They have imposed delay after delay, finally got me in for an on-site physical in June 2018, and are still stalling in making a determination. I finally put in an IG complaint this month.

Anyone else sharing in this nightmare?

Ive been trying to transfer from IRR-ASP to IRR-VTU since April. Dealing with recruiters slowed things down a lot and my most recent update is that Ive been told that on October 25 Ill get word from my local MEPS as to whether or not I rate getting an appointment for an exam. So much slower than expected.

reservist22

I got a quota to transition from IRR to SELRES in Oct 2017. Because I have a rating, I was told by my recruiter I could not get my physical through an MTF but would have to go through MEPS.
They have imposed delay after delay, finally got me in for an on-site physical in June 2018, and are still stalling in making a determination. I finally put in an IG complaint this month.

Anyone else sharing in this nightmare?

Snake, any updates on the IG complaint? Interested if you’ve heard any good news. I’m in a similar boat and been trying to go from IRR to VTU/SELRES....it’s been a year and nothing yet. I’m considering calling the IG myself, interested in any insight you have.

snake020

Contributor
Snake, any updates on the IG complaint? Interested if you’ve heard any good news. I’m in a similar boat and been trying to go from IRR to VTU/SELRES....it’s been a year and nothing yet. I’m considering calling the IG myself, interested in any insight you have.

Going to the IG got MEPS moving and got them to schedule a consult and wrap up my disposition 45 days later. That may seem like a long time, but it's been a year since I got my quota to go SELRES. In short, if your local MEPS is screwing around playing games, consider the IG.

Unfortunately they DQ'd me for some low hanging BS issue, so now waiting on N3M to decide on a waiver.

aah80

None
Going to the IG got MEPS moving and got them to schedule a consult and wrap up my disposition 45 days later. That may seem like a long time, but it's been a year since I got my quota to go SELRES. In short, if your local MEPS is screwing around playing games, consider the IG.

Unfortunately they DQ'd me for some low hanging BS issue, so now waiting on N3M to decide on a waiver.

Sorry to hear that. If the DQ stands any idea if a medical retirement from the reserves is an option? I imagine that could be the scenario many IRR-ASP folks run into trying to get back to VTU/SELRES. Ever hear of anyone getting a reserve medical retirement in a similar situation or what the requirements are?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Considering even active duty Reservists don't get medically retired unless they've hit sanctuary, I don't see that happening.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry to hear that. If the DQ stands any idea if a medical retirement from the reserves is an option? I imagine that could be the scenario many IRR-ASP folks run into trying to get back to VTU/SELRES. Ever hear of anyone getting a reserve medical retirement in a similar situation or what the requirements are?

Nope. I also can't think of anyone off the top of my head who got processed out for medical in the reserves, on the other hand I did know plenty of folks who were able to stay in the reserves with medical issues I would have thought made them ineligible to be in the military at all. I think the big key is to already be in when something medical comes up, not before you get in (or back in).

snake020

Contributor
Update: received word today that N3M approved my waiver and I am medically cleared to transition from IRR (I guess S-2 now) to SELRES.

Took a year to get through MEPS's crap and N3M only took a week.

To those of you still delayed with med reads, keep grinding at the system.

reservist22

Update: received word today that N3M approved my waiver and I am medically cleared to transition from IRR (I guess S-2 now) to SELRES.

Took a year to get through MEPS's crap and N3M only took a week.

To those of you still delayed with med reads, keep grinding at the system.
Great news, Congrats!

aah80

None
A couple questions for the group:

1) Has anyone successfully transferred directly from the IRR-ASP into the IRR-VTU? To clarify, not by going through SELRES first?

2) Anyone know of any limiting factors with the idea of going from IRR-ASP into the SELRES and immediately (or as quickly as possible) transferring into the VTU?

I ask b/c: month 9 of trying to move from ASP into VTU and working on my 2nd MEPS submission. Recruiter #5 that I am now dealing with has informed me, in short, that "they" wont process a request to VTU because they aren't meeting their SELRES ascension requirements. In clear terms I was told SELRES or nothing. Thoughts?

tech01

A couple questions for the group:

1) Has anyone successfully transferred directly from the IRR-ASP into the IRR-VTU? To clarify, not by going through SELRES first?

2) Anyone know of any limiting factors with the idea of going from IRR-ASP into the SELRES and immediately (or as quickly as possible) transferring into the VTU?

I ask b/c: month 9 of trying to move from ASP into VTU and working on my 2nd MEPS submission. Recruiter #5 that I am now dealing with has informed me, in short, that "they" wont process a request to VTU because they aren't meeting their SELRES ascension requirements. In clear terms I was told SELRES or nothing. Thoughts?
---
I'm just guessing here, but I would imagine that if you're SELRES eligible, they'll want you to stay SELRES. IRR-VTU, from my experience, is mostly people who are HYT or have bad years and need to stick around long enough to reach retirement eligibility. I've been in the VTU since 2015, and really I'm so ready to go. Those unpaid drill weekends are such a PITA. That said, I appreciate the opportunity to stick around long enough to retire and have been able to engage in numerous activities on paid ADT orders. In my case, I'm trying to do the opposite of what you're doing (going from IRR-VTU to IRR-ASP) since I will be retirement eligible early next year and need to reduce my overhead allowing me to do some work overseas without worrying about drill weekends, PFA\PRT, Medical, et al.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
IRR-VTU, from my experience, is mostly people who are HYT or have bad years and need to stick around long enough to reach retirement eligibility.
The VTU is also where O5/O6 go when they are not selected for paid billets. It's also for people who want to stay in the game (ADT, ADSW, etc.) but to not have to worry about mobilizing. It's also for people who want a break. It's pretty easy to go from IRR-VTU to SELRES and takes nothing more than finding a billet in JOAPPLY and away you go.

One of my E6's just picked up an OCONUS ADSW and the command is going to get him back to a TS/SCI. After my E6 comes back, he will be set to continue doing orders as his clearance will be all up to date, etc. He will more than likely make E7 and I've had two others make E6 while in the VTU.

Those unpaid drill weekends are such a PITA.
Those are points, which you will get back in spades when you collect your retirement.

I will be retirement eligible early next year and need to reduce my overhead allowing me to do some work overseas without worrying about drill weekends, PFA\PRT, Medical, et al.
You can work around this without getting stuck in the IRR-ASP, which I would not recommend because you will be hard pressed to earn a good year given how difficult they've made it.

tech01

The VTU is also where O5/O6 go when they are not selected for paid billets. It's also for people who want to stay in the game (ADT, ADSW, etc.) but to not have to worry about mobilizing. It's also for people who want a break. It's pretty easy to go from IRR-VTU to SELRES and takes nothing more than finding a billet in JOAPPLY and away you go.

One of my E6's just picked up an OCONUS ADSW and the command is going to get him back to a TS/SCI. After my E6 comes back, he will be set to continue doing orders as his clearance will be all up to date, etc. He will more than likely make E7 and I've had two others make E6 while in the VTU.

Those are points, which you will get back in spades when you collect your retirement.

You can work around this without getting stuck in the IRR-ASP, which I would not recommend because you will be hard pressed to earn a good year given how difficult they've made it.

Very true. I guess I've just been in the game long enough. I'll be clicking over to year 20 in March, so I may just request AA's until I can submit for retirement. Being HYT, on my last contract which ends in Dec 2019, the points aren't going to do much for me. If I pushed it, maybe I could knock out another 70-80 points if I stuck around until the end of my contract. Right now, I need time and flexibility, so IRR-ASP was just a thought as in my case, I wouldn't be "stuck". I'd just sit in the IRR-ASP until I retire or my contract expires.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Very true. I guess I've just been in the game long enough. I'll be clicking over to year 20 in March, so I may just request AA's until I can submit for retirement. Being HYT, on my last contract which ends in Dec 2019, the points aren't going to do much for me. If I pushed it, maybe I could knock out another 70-80 points if I stuck around until the end of my contract. Right now, I need time and flexibility, so IRR-ASP was just a thought as in my case, I wouldn't be "stuck". I'd just sit in the IRR-ASP until I retire or my contract expires.
PM me.

aah80

None
---
I'm just guessing here, but I would imagine that if you're SELRES eligible, they'll want you to stay SELRES. IRR-VTU, from my experience, is mostly people who are HYT or have bad years and need to stick around long enough to reach retirement eligibility. I've been in the VTU since 2015, and really I'm so ready to go. Those unpaid drill weekends are such a PITA. That said, I appreciate the opportunity to stick around long enough to retire and have been able to engage in numerous activities on paid ADT orders. In my case, I'm trying to do the opposite of what you're doing (going from IRR-VTU to IRR-ASP) since I will be retirement eligible early next year and need to reduce my overhead allowing me to do some work overseas without worrying about drill weekends, PFA\PRT, Medical, et al.

Im close to 17 good years and I do not want to MOB. As an aviator with a (expired) security clearance I know my odds of being MOB'd are 110% in a non-managed community SELRES unit/billet. And I just dont want to put in the time commitment for a managed community (squadron and other) which would preclude a MOB.

As noted in a below reply I am also curious how you plan to eek out your last year in the ASP now that the correspondence course train is, for the most part, over. ASP lose their CAC card too.