• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Major Housing Update

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
You might argue that- But I woulda argue that having my wife with me was a good thing.
I didn't try going thru the school house single-so I'm not going to talk about how it was. Did you have a significant other at flight school?? If you did-You should be offended that everyone put you on the "probably will fail" list without even knowing you. If you didn't-You probably shouldn't talk about how it was to have all that "dead weight".

I know plenty of single guys who didn't finish- but I did, with my wife and my new kid. It's about the mindset, not the life circumstances.

Me-ow! Rob can correct me if I am wrong, but I think he was just making a generalization. I think your flame is a little out of the blue. I also went through with a family, but I would never begrudge someone their opinion that doing it another way is better.
Sounds like you have an axe to grind with someone, and I don't think they are here.

robav8r

None
Contributor
It's about the mindset, not the life circumstances.

Exactly. Not trying to squeeze everyone into "my" opinion, just expressing one that is contrary to yours. And, for the record, I have seen several folks who were more focused/concerned on their fiance/girlfriend/boyfriend/dog/cat/whatever, than making it through flight school. So yes, while there are very capable, motivated folks who can perform with a family in tow, great ! But I stand by my general comment that a lot of folks (insert whatever % is appropriate) are better served going it alone.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Factors that indicate you will (statistically) have a tougher time in flight school:

1) Married
2) Kids
3) Prior enlisted

No joke.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Factors that indicate you will (statistically) have a tougher time in flight school:

1) Married
2) Kids
3) Prior enlisted

No joke.
Yep, I had all three strikes against me, hence my opinion :)

That's funny, because I had no problems in flight school. I had all three "strikes" and ended up graduating #1 in my Strike class. I guess I am one of the 1%?

-ea6bflyr ;)

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Factors that indicate you will (statistically) have a tougher time in flight school: No joke.

1) Married---------Check - couldn't be married as a NavCad
2) Kids-------------Check - first one born two weeks after checkin' in @ P'cola
3) Prior enlisted---Check - radar operator with VQ-2 - Pro Pay in my rating & Flight Skins

Failed first two math tests ...passed final math test, and every written test thereafter, with no sweat - never got a "down" ...I enjoy being an exception to the rule!

Sonog

pilot
For those of us with serious gf's heading to OCS who know they have a good one, but are too broke for a rock.... is there a good/better time in flight school to have them move in? Distance between us would be 1300 miles.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Yep, I had all three strikes against me, hence my opinion :)

and . . . . . my opinion is probably also framed by the fact that I was REALLY old compared to all the young studs/studettes that traditionally attend. I get if your a superstar you're gonna do just fine, with or without the fam, I guess in the end you just have to evaluate whether or not they will help or hurt you in flight school.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ Here comes the Airwarriors blast. Cannot wait to read!
No BLAST planned; Statistics usually cast many questions and doubts. If there is anything I learned in my STAT class, it's that you can make statistics support anything.
Mark Twain's Own Autobiography: The Chapters from the North American Review said:
Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

Sir Charles Dilke said:
There are three degrees of untruth,—a fib, a lie, and statistics.
-ea6bflyr ;)

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Yeah, seriously. I did my VT tour and noticed absolutely no correlation between married, prior e, and having kids with attrition, not to mention that I was all of the above as a stud and did pretty well for myself. We attrited plenty of single kids at the deuce.

squorch2

pilot
By the way, where are you getting these "statistics' and what were the demographics?

-ea6bflyr ;)
Taken from my past year as ASO at a training command. N=208, p<0.05 for those three factors when looking at downed flights, personal ORMs and HFBs. Factors not statistically significant were commissioning source, gender and service.

squorch2

pilot
I didn't consider attrition rates or NSS - just the amount of intervention that the stud needed from the command.

squorch2

pilot
Correlation isn't necessarily causation, could have been other factors not controlled for, etc. etc.