• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Major Housing Update

SHAF

Idle for glory
pilot
I just contacted Student Control because I am getting ready to execute orders to API, and apparently the entire housing situation has changed for married guys. No longer is API unaccompanied, and no longer will anyone be receiving per diem while they are stationed there. However, you can still go Geo Batch and they have space at Milton, about 40min from P-Cola. Its always exciting to find out about stuff like this 6 days before you leave.

The entire welcome aboard package just got pulled from the website about two weeks ago so expect major updates. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me because I'll be going through the whole process shortly.

LLLLL

As a Geobach what rate will you be getting BAH? At your duty station or your wifes location? Thats about $1100 a month difference for me.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
When did they start sending guys to API unaccompanied?

When I checked in back in June, I remember my orders to API being unaccompanied orders. I don't have them handy, but I believe that's how it was set up a year ago.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Going to API "unaccompanied" should be the norm.

What!? No. Unless you're being sarcastic and suggesting that being single in general should be the norm...

And how is that NASC and NASP have things so screwed up that guys are being forced to live at Whiting during API? What's going on down there?

robav8r

None
Contributor
^ Well, I would argue that "generally speaking" you are probably better off leaving the Mrs./Mr. at home until you at least finish API and primary. Less distractions and competition for your time. No ???

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I just contacted Student Control because I am getting ready to execute orders to API, and apparently the entire housing situation has changed for married guys. No longer is API unaccompanied, and no longer will anyone be receiving per diem while they are stationed there. However, you can still go Geo Batch and they have space at Milton, about 40min from P-Cola. Its always exciting to find out about stuff like this 6 days before you leave.

The entire welcome aboard package just got pulled from the website about two weeks ago so expect major updates. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me because I'll be going through the whole process shortly.

Jun-Oct 2011 we didn't get per diem, but we did get Family Separation Allowance (as long as your wife didn't move down there on your own dime, of course). As for "unaccompanied", the accounting codes just wouldn't let PSD execute your PCS until to checked into Primary, thereby delaying your PCS money (DLA, family per diem, etc.). They never said your wife couldn't come, just that they weren't going to pay you until Primary.

My wife and I just moved down there in June on our own dime and then sucked it up until we got paid in October. I moved to Pace and drove to Pcola, but am closer to Whiting.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
They never said your wife couldn't come, just that they weren't going to pay you until Primary.

My wife and I just moved down there in June on our own dime and then sucked it up until we got paid in October. I moved to Pace and drove to Pcola, but am closer to Whiting.

you were on active duty, in API and not getting paid? Or not getting paid BAH?

SHAF

Idle for glory
pilot
As a Geobach what rate will you be getting BAH? At your duty station or your wifes location? Thats about $1100 a month difference for me.

I was told I will get P-Cola BAH, but they can always route a chit to request that you retain your old BAH rate. For me its only about 40-50 dollars different so I don't really care, but for San Dog guys its a big deal.

SHAF

Idle for glory
pilot
Jun-Oct 2011 we didn't get per diem, but we did get Family Separation Allowance (as long as your wife didn't move down there on your own dime, of course). As for "unaccompanied", the accounting codes just wouldn't let PSD execute your PCS until to checked into Primary, thereby delaying your PCS money (DLA, family per diem, etc.). They never said your wife couldn't come, just that they weren't going to pay you until Primary.

You now qualify for DLA immediately upon executing your orders to API.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
You now qualify for DLA immediately upon executing your orders to API.
Sweet, that will help a lot of guys out. As a caveat to my earlier post, the Navy DID move my shit to Pace, but I had to pay for everything else (hence needing the DLA).

Brunes

pilot
^ Well, I would argue that "generally speaking" you are probably better off leaving the Mrs./Mr. at home until you at least finish API and primary. Less distractions and competition for your time. No ???
You might argue that- But I woulda argue that having my wife with me was a good thing.
I didn't try going thru the school house single-so I'm not going to talk about how it was. Did you have a significant other at flight school?? If you did-You should be offended that everyone put you on the "probably will fail" list without even knowing you. If you didn't-You probably shouldn't talk about how it was to have all that "dead weight".

I know plenty of single guys who didn't finish- but I did, with my wife and my new kid. It's about the mindset, not the life circumstances.