• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Maint...er...MD State Police jobs

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MSP pilots are not officers they're civilian employees, so no need to do any patrolling first......

They used to be officers but they switched to civilians years ago.

I grew up in Annapolis, as well, but the thought of going back up to MD isn't high on my list. That said, it's an interesting prospect, especially if the QOL and pay is decent. So if you're a civilian employee, how does that work for LE? Are you sworn? I'm not even sure what the right question is to ask, but curious how that whole setup works both admin-wise and legally.

The paramedics are all troopers so I think that settles any law enforcement legalities WRT to the helicopter being used for LE work. While they are used for LE work though the majority of their missions, not sure what the percentage is but I pretty sure it is the overwhelming majority, is for medevac and not traditional LE support.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would not move to Maryland. :(

I hate this state, it's government and it's gun laws. I want to move away, but am sort of stuck here until the kids finish high school and college (~7 years). Then I'm looking at PA.

Casey, you'd really,really hate this state.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Sorry fellas, I did indeed mean Maryland State Police.

There is a contract for civilian maintenance check pilots at the various Air Force H-60 bases, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get renewed in the future.

IIRC, the AF requires that you be an MTP for those slots. Unless you did DCMA at SAC or challenged the course there are very few USN/USMC guys who get that qual.

MasterBates

All locations, but 6 look like you can semi-easily escape to a less retarded state.

I'm guessing you have to live in MD, even if you are a civilian employee.

Schnugg, yes, the gun laws there are why I passed on a couple contractor jobs in Pax.

I'd deal with it to fly, and most likely just geobach from my house in Norfolk, but not dealing with MD laws and taxes for a cube job.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Western Maryland is less retarded in terms of percentage of stupid hippies, but the downside is tht there is literally nothing in western Maryland...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Beautiful country, no fucking cities full of crime and pollution, deep creek lake, skiing at wisp, hiking the Appalachians...yes, nothing whatsoever of value in western Maryland. I really wish that half of the state would secede from the PG, MOCO, and B mo county suckhole that turns an otherwise awesome place into a festering progressive shithole. Southern Maryland can secede with us.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
You want SMIBville? You can take it!

I grew up in CT. MD was a breath of fresh air for me.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'll deal with the SMIBs over the arrogant dip shits in MOCO who run around smelling their own farts.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are seeing more LE agencies hiring civ pilots. My unit has 4. Two FW two RW. To be fair, 3 are retired deputies but they fill civ slots. Many times they are hired to be the CFII or FAA designee in the unit, though they will fly missions. A quick run through the Airborne Law Enforcement Association (ALEA) jobs forum also shows agencies hiring direct to a pilot position, but are required to complete a LE academy and be sworn. No requirement to work patrol. The tactical flight officer (TFO) would have the LE experience required to perform the mission. And it is generally a requirement when the crew includes a civ pilot. ( As a NFO the TFO/pilot dynamic is very familiar.) I don't know just how MSP handles the mission with two civ pilots. I assume it is a crew of three with a trooper in the back.

A new pilot in my volunteer unit is a retired USMC CH-46 skipper. Before he got a local job and came to us he was a contract TFO/copilot for DEA. He said it was a good gig, but the contract wasn't renewed so he moved on. He volunteered with us because he liked the LE mission. You can check out the ALEA web site. Unfortunately all the jobs postings are on the member side. I checked today and there wasn't anything current for any of you guys. I'll check periodically for y'all

http://www.alea.org/default.aspx

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.....I assume it is a crew of three with a trooper in the back......

As far as I know they always have a trooper/paramedic in the back, especially since medevac is their primary mission.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ohhhh, now you've done it. If there was ever something to go in the quote log, this is it. :D

(But otherwise very informative post.)
Oh shit! My bad. Of course I know better. Better preserve that quote. I'm editing my post now.