• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lowest OAR Score

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Soooo A garbage enlisted Sailor that scores a 60 on the OAR and has a alright GPA but has never done anything while in the service is better vs a Sailor that works their ass off and maybe has issues taking tests. That’s the type of people you want in your ranks lol. Sad.
Who says the Sailor who scored 60 has to be a “garbage Sailor?” This is a false dichotomy. You need to stop lashing out and figure out a way to overcome the obstacles in your path. The hardest working Sailor in the fleet doesn’t deserve a path to a commission if they can’t meet the basic academic requirements.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Seems some editing or something happened and we're missing bits in the last few posts. Not sure if Brett captured everything with his quote or if there was more.

In any case, I agree with him. All you can worry about is you. Let me say this very clearly: It does not matter what other people do. Stop comparing yourself to others and getting upset by what they may or may not be getting away with. There's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Nothing. You only hurt yourself by spending time and energy on it. Time. And. Energy. You may be able to get more energy, but you're never going to get more time. So go study man.

VJwU5WXY.jpg

Dalilali

[QUOTE="Brett327, post: 939520,
[/QUOTE]
You are right as I think about it. A person even enlisted cannot join without passing the asvab and it’s the same with the OAR. I was just thinking if they score the bare minimum for the test and are a great Sailor how can you or anyone say they are not capable of being an officer. If they score less then what is required there is no reason why they should be commissioned and I completely get it. But, that Sailor works hard and is very smart, knows how to Navy but scores pretty well not great but alright and there is a Sailor that can test great doesn’t get in trouble but, doesn’t do anything great just gets by and does the same thing as enlisted now because he was commissioned due to having a high OAR.
Then there are LDOs that don’t have to take the OAR and are in the wardroom. They had to take the Chiefs exam to pass but not the OAR or have a degree to commission? Just a lot to think about. That’s why I asked about the 35 OAR score. Someone said there is a reason behind it but, not all officers take it for a commission. Not everyone scores over a 50 and I get no one wants an officer with a waiver for the OAR but, you have a whole bunch of officers that are there with No OAR score at all and no one looks at them differently. Just a thought.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

You are right as I think about it. A person even enlisted cannot join without passing the asvab and it’s the same with the OAR. I was just thinking if they score the bare minimum for the test and are a great Sailor how can you or anyone say they are not capable of being an officer. If they score less then what is required there is no reason why they should be commissioned and I completely get it. But, that Sailor works hard and is very smart, knows how to Navy but scores pretty well not great but alright and there is a Sailor that can test great doesn’t get in trouble but, doesn’t do anything great just gets by and does the same thing as enlisted now because he was commissioned due to having a high OAR.
Then there are LDOs that don’t have to take the OAR and are in the wardroom. They had to take the Chiefs exam to pass but not the OAR or have a degree to commission? Just a lot to think about. That’s why I asked about the 35 OAR score. Someone said there is a reason behind it but, not all officers take it for a commission. Not everyone scores over a 50 and I get no one wants an officer with a waiver for the OAR but, you have a whole bunch of officers that are there with No OAR score at all and no one looks at them differently. Just a thought.

Those who commission via NROTC/USNA take the ACT/SAT which is a standardized test so that in a way accomplishes the same thing, my personal opinion is that CWO and LDO's should take the OAR, I honestly don't know how some of those guys ended up getting a commission.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
and no one looks at them differently. Just a thought.

How do you know? You asked everyone? I sure as hell look at them differently. There is a distinct difference between LDOs/CWOs and those who go through regular commissioning sources. It's hard to put a number on, but it's like a coin toss when I meet an LDO/CWO. Some of them are great, understand the difference between the enlisted and officer roles, and kick ass at their jobs. Others, unfortunately, rest on their laurels and collect their Navy welfare checks and do fuck all. And, to be honest, there's a decent number of prior-enlisted-turned-officer who do shady shit and it bothers me.

But you know what? I can't do anything about it. So I don't worry about it. Life is not fair. You're 34 years old -- my age -- how long are you going to keep dicking around worrying about what other people are doing? Put in the work to get the commission, or don't.

BackOrdered

Contributor

If I could ask, lets say one does submit a 35 OAR, what criteria would you think would steer a board member into the mindset of, "commission this man NOW!" This above all the others who have a higher OAR and similar record out of a limited quote of selectees? Not being a smart ass, just asking if you were the O-5 or so board member, what would have you use a quota on a 35 OAR? You seem to think there exists an objectivity or subjectivity that would excuse a 35 OAR, I'm curious what that is.

Dalilali

In all honesty that could be said about a lot of people that are serving. Some of the best officers I have met through my 16 years were LDOs and Warrants. Then there are some of the most down to earth that I have met came from Annapolis. I don’t think one is better than the other it is all about Who can perform and who can lead. But, there is more to a test score and there is more to being a leader in the military.
If I could ask, lets say one does submit a 35 OAR, what criteria would you think would steer a board member into the mindset of, "commission this man NOW!" This above all the others who have a higher OAR and similar record out of a limited quote of selectees? Not being a smart ass, just asking if you were the O-5 or so board member, what would have you use a quota on a 35 OAR? You seem to think there exists an objectivity or subjectivity that would excuse a 35 OAR, I'm curious what that is.
I would think it would be different from person to person. Prior service there may be something that one specific person would have depending on their personal experience. If they were a civilian with nothing to offer of course there would be no reason for them to do so.
I would think something that would excuse a 35 OAR would be their military record. Let's just say you have someone that has been in Iraq/Afghan or and has that natural born leadership. Is great administratively and loves whole heartedly their life in the military. It would show by how they present themselves. Not just a EP Sailor but a real legit overall good person that is a hard worker and trustworthy. I am realistic and know that the board would probably just throw away their packets and tell them better luck somewhere else or maybe next time. There is a reason for everything and people are Officers and Enlisted because that is where they are supposed to be. If they cant commission well the enlisted side is there.

I don't think a board member would look at a 35 and say oh wow this is the one right here!! lol...I think it would be someone that would maybe has some significant medals or maybe a 35 with a 4.0 GPA and a lot of experience. Who knows. But, again do you know anyone that has ever scored that low and has commissioned or are they updating the 1420.1 soon to go in accordance with the PA's.?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Dude. You spend a lot of time arguing but you provide little information or receptivity-to-feedback in return.

How many times have you taken the OAR? If you’re eligible to take it again, go study.

In all honesty, the Navy needs officers to be more than just good leaders or down to earth. Officers also need to be quick-witted at times, and make the right decision in the moment (often involving basic principles of math, physics, vocabulary, geography, RF spectrum, etc.) without any time, authority, or leeway to delegate it to junior sailors or phone a friend for assistance. As an officer, you will at times be a solo operator, guaranteed - even if it’s just some small collateral duty that you are solely accountable for.

Intelligence counts as an officer, and for better or worse, the OAR is one of the main (albeit crude) tools the Navy has chosen to screen for it in officer applicants.

Last edited:

AULANI

In all honesty that could be said about a lot of people that are serving. Some of the best officers I have met through my 16 years were LDOs and Warrants. Then there are some of the most down to earth that I have met came from Annapolis. I don’t think one is better than the other it is all about Who can perform and who can lead. But, there is more to a test score and there is more to being a leader in the military.

I would think it would be different from person to person. Prior service there may be something that one specific person would have depending on their personal experience. If they were a civilian with nothing to offer of course there would be no reason for them to do so.
I would think something that would excuse a 35 OAR would be their military record. Let's just say you have someone that has been in Iraq/Afghan or and has that natural born leadership. Is great administratively and loves whole heartedly their life in the military. It would show by how they present themselves. Not just a EP Sailor but a real legit overall good person that is a hard worker and trustworthy. I am realistic and know that the board would probably just throw away their packets and tell them better luck somewhere else or maybe next time. There is a reason for everything and people are Officers and Enlisted because that is where they are supposed to be. If they cant commission well the enlisted side is there.

I don't think a board member would look at a 35 and say oh wow this is the one right here!! lol...I think it would be someone that would maybe has some significant medals or maybe a 35 with a 4.0 GPA and a lot of experience. Who knows. But, again do you know anyone that has ever scored that low and has commissioned or are they updating the 1420.1 soon to go in accordance with the PA's.?
Heres the thing. Assuming you have all of those qualities you mentioned above... the other people that apply to OCS have all of those qualities too but they score above a 50 on the OAR as well.

BackOrdered

Contributor

Honestly, the lowest score I ever met was a 40 and the member was academically poor from OCS, to community school to DFC at O-2 (no not Distinguished Flying Cross). BUT said member was an college athlete at a MAJOR University. During that period (The Iraq war kicked off and JO IAs were a big thing), anything lower than 40 was still unacceptable. Today, it is far more competitive.

Leadership and being a good sailor is very hard to quantify at any board as "better" on paper when most packages wouldn't see the board without a good narrative on being a good leader/sailor/civilian etc. Personally, I look for triumphs over an adverse situation relatable to the board members in this case. Things that would make me ashamed to say no. No fluff or BS, just some hard living and overcoming reality with grit.

My advice for Officer programs, jobs, interviews, college applications, scholarships, special programs etc is you are always in DIRECT competition with the guy that has the exact same stats as you, "BUT" (fill in random X factor feat). Perhaps you study 2 hours every day after work, but "that guy" studies 3 hours. "That guy" is always at your heels and you just can't leave a base uncovered (OAR score), else "that guy" is going to elbow you out of contention.

Last edited:

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
natural born leadership
Please, tell me how you quantify that on paper.

How many times have you taken the OAR? If you’re eligible to take it again, go study.
For some reason he refuses to answer this.

Dude. You spend a lot of time arguing but you provide little information or receptivity-to-feedback in return.
He is on transmit, not receive. What? Say again, you got stepped on.

You know, a couple pages ago I was thinking about going out on a ledge for him...I was going to ask @Dalilali where he's stationed and maybe offer to meet him at Starbucks and help him out, mentor him on the path to a bar. But there's no getting through to him, so I'll spend my time on my own Sailors who actually are receptive. He must have a DIVO. I wonder what he/she would say to this whole thread...

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Some people spend their energy trying to lower a hurdle so it becomes easier to jump. Others put that effort into jumping higher than they did yesterday. I wonder which one is a trait of success.

P.S. In the military, many of the hurdles are written in blood. i.e. They exist for a reason. They are not designed to be fair or forgiving because war is not fair or forgiving.