• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Low NSS's get boarded

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I stand corrected--sort of--let me explain. I'm looking at a formula in the master curriculum guide (the little green book) for advanced helo. 90% of grades come from flight/sim events (compared to the squadron average), the other 10% come from unsats and marginals (again, compared to the squadron average). This score gets normalized/bell curved and out comes NSS. The '04 and '09 guides have basically the same formulas (I have other years around here...somewhere...). The way I look at the formula, I'm pretty sure marginals and unsats have equal effect. I don't remember my statistics well enough to look at the formula and come up with a rule of thumb of x unsats/marginals = -y points of NSS. I don't know if the other phases and pipelines are the same or different.

Sorry about missing that one though. It's a pretty significant "detail."

No worries. If it wasn't specifically briefed to us (It had it's own slide on a powerpoint presentation) during one of the briefs on the current MPTS I wouldn't have known.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok seriously, if you can't get a 35 or better in Primary, you really have no business flying. Flight school is NOT THAT HARD and a 35 is pretty piss-poor. Not everyone can be an astronaut when they grow up.

Oh how I wish Naval Aviation was still a Meritocracy and not some PC-laced quota system.

As HarrierDude always told me, "be shit hot, don't fuck up."

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Ok seriously, if you can't get a 35 or better in Primary, you really have no business flying. Flight school is NOT THAT HARD and a 35 is pretty piss-poor. Not everyone can be an astronaut when they grow up.

Oh how I wish Naval Aviation was still a Meritocracy and not some PC-laced quota system.

As HarrierDude always told me, "be shit hot, don't fuck up."

I thought I remember someone saying that if you met MIF, without a single below or above, all the way through you would end up in the 20s. However, that seems odd to me, because I know one of the people who have been boarded and he seemed floored that I was able to go through flight school without a single marginal or unsat. I finished primary w/ a 54, and advanced I was just above statistical average a 50.1, woot! That is if average is 50 which is what I've always heard.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I thought I remember someone saying that if you met MIF, without a single below or above, all the way through you would end up in the 20s. However, that seems odd to me, because I know one of the people who have been boarded and he seemed floored that I was able to go through flight school without a single marginal or unsat. I finished primary w/ a 54, and advanced I was just above statistical average a 50.1, woot! That is if average is 50 which is what I've always heard.

A buddy of mine graduated from here the other day with a 40 NSS. He showed me his grades and there was all sorts of red on it. Even he admitted he had jacked up a bunch of flights along the way. I think you have to try pretty hard to get 20s.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
FlyBoyd or one of the other experienced TRACOM guys, can you weigh in?

I could but I won't. Although the minimum is good enough, trying to figure it out is a waste of time. In my experience here in the TRACOM, SNAs who sweat this are better served by chasing skirt, drinking beer and studying more. Put the effort in and let the system work. 99% of the time the right guys make it through.

Additional PC comment: My use of skirt and guys can be interchanged with studs and chicks as appropriate.

mountaineers33

Lunchbox...
pilot
Keys to success in Primary:
Know your EP's cold, know the briefing items and practice the brief "flow" the night before, study your start checklist (but don't memorize it until Tailhook) and absolutely don't scare your IP in the air and you will probably end up above a 50 out of Primary...

The most important thing to remember though is to NEVER, EVER study on the weekends, work hard and play hard! Weekend are for decompression. Just don't fuck it up with a DUI or public intox;)

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Keys to success in Primary:
Know your EP's cold, know the briefing items and practice the brief "flow" the night before, study your start checklist (but don't memorize it until Tailhook) and absolutely don't scare your IP in the air and you will probably end up above a 50 out of Primary...

The most important thing to remember though is to NEVER, EVER study on the weekends, work hard and play hard! Weekend are for decompression. Just don't fuck it up with a DUI or public intox;)

Down here in Corpus, Saturdays are work days....so usually we get Sunday off. Friday nights are no different than a Monday night...we even have sims on Saturday.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Down here in Corpus, Saturdays are work days....so usually we get Sunday off. Friday nights are no different than a Monday night...we even have sims on Saturday.

Is that a new thing? I don't remember that being the norm as of a few months ago...

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Yes, with the new Commodore and being behind in production...Weekend ops are the norm on Saturdays and even the sim building is open. Saturday is now a regular work day.

mountaineers33

Lunchbox...
pilot

Ouch... that happened for a couple months last year in Meridian. Double edged sword, on one side you finish really fast but on the other you are dog tired at the end of the week. Are you guys still basically doing one event a day in Primary (except forms) still? Either way, you have Sunday and college football is right around the corner... well that is on Saturday, DVR works;)

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Ask your bros who went SWO how many days they have off ON CRUISE at your same tenure, right now, today, this minute (count yer blessins). It was funny to watch the attitude adjustment when OIF1 kicked off, and the marine studs saw their classmates kicking ass and taking names on network news, while they were either sipping a Mojito in Key West or Not Scheduled for the 4th day in a row in Meridian.

Press through, flying for advanced strike guys doesn't really get fun until phase 2.

srqwho

pilot
Ouch... that happened for a couple months last year in Meridian. Double edged sword, on one side you finish really fast but on the other you are dog tired at the end of the week. Are you guys still basically doing one event a day in Primary (except forms) still? Either way, you have Sunday and college football is right around the corner... well that is on Saturday, DVR works;)

Nope. I flew 9 times in one week last month. My form partner and I finished forms in 4 1/2 days.

I classed up in October of last year and should be done here in early Sept. A bunch of us that classed up around that time were told to standby while the glut of PA studs and guys close to selecting got moved out. Since then, most people that classed up (in the Spring) have been blasting through primary here in Corpus. A buddy of mine just finished RI ground school and classed up in mid May. The biggest foe to a lot of studs when we weren't flying a lot was inconsistency. You would fly once every week if you were lucky... obviously you would not be that proficient and the IPs seemed reluctant to give you the optional w/u because of how slow things were moving. But, that is a thing of the past and for the most part once FAMs are complete it is the norm to be on the sched 6 days a week. I am not complaining... I love the fact that I get to fly/sim everyday and keep up the proficiency.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Nope. I flew 9 times in one week last month. My form partner and I finished forms in 4 1/2 days.

I classed up in October of last year and should be done here in early Sept. A bunch of us that classed up around that time were told to standby while the glut of PA studs and guys close to selecting got moved out. Since then, most people that classed up (in the Spring) have been blasting through primary here in Corpus. A buddy of mine just finished RI ground school and classed up in mid May. The biggest foe to a lot of studs when we weren't flying a lot was inconsistency. You would fly once every week if you were lucky... obviously you would not be that proficient and the IPs seemed reluctant to give you the optional w/u because of how slow things were moving. But, that is a thing of the past and for the most part once FAMs are complete it is the norm to be on the sched 6 days a week. I am not complaining... I love the fact that I get to fly/sim everyday and keep up the proficiency.

A lot of production issues have been taken care of the VTs. Both Wings are way behind in Xs so flying 6-7 days a week has been pretty standard for a while now. Don't be surprised if the squadrons try to schedule you 6 days a week (Since you are required to have one day off after every 6 per MPTS) until you are complete.