• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Low GPA High ASTB, Special Circumstances

CTunderway

Pro-Rec Y 30JUN15, FINSEL 4AUG15, OCS 6SEP15
TL,DR: first recruiter lied about submitting app and being rejected for age. New NRD worked tirelessly to process and submit my application, and then to make sure it went to board despite disqualifiers.

I wanted to put this post up just to help anybody who might be in a similar circumstance as I have been. This isn't by any means me saying that this kind of stuff will always work for everyone, but it did work for me through the hard work of some very fantastic people, and a little bit of determination.

So my journey started last January when I contacted a friend of mine who had become a recruiter in a completely different recruiting district about the possibility of becoming a Naval Aviator. At that point in time, I had been kicked out of school for having a 1.998 GPA, and my vision was 20/35 in each eye, and I was working full time as a supervisor at a retail store. He told me to work hard to bring my GPA up, get PRK done sooner than later, work on my PPL, and slam my ASTB. So I went and got PRK less than a month later, got around 20 hours of flight time in, and then over the course of the next 16 months I re-enrolled in school, took fulltime classes throughout the spring, and summer sessions while still working full-time. I retook 12 classes during this timeframe and managed to raise my GPA to 3.05 by the time I graduated this May. I took my ASTB this January, and scored a 71 9/9/9, so I felt pretty good about things. I began my application process with a recruiter in my local district, drove several hours to take the ASTB, and another several hours to get my physical completed. I completed all of the forms, got copies of every document that my recruiter requested etc etc etc. I was then told after the April board results began showing up here and I called to inquire that I had been rejected by the board because I was too old to commission in time. I had turned 26 two days before the board met.

TL,DR: I submitted my application to my recruiter, he didn't submit it to the board.

Fast forward a couple of months, and I found out from a personnel officer at NRC that my package never got submitted. I reconnected with my friend about the situation and he offered to put my application in if I could fly half way across the country to process through MEPS. I naturally agreed. So we went through the entire process again, while dealing with a college graduation, moving to a new apartment, and planning and executing a wedding. This meant scanning and emailing or faxing all of the documents that I needed, watching all of the videos, phone calls etc. We were trying to get me into MEPS but kept getting hung up in processing. The problem that we thought we were dealing with was my wedding being on June 6, and whether I would come out before the wedding or after the honeymoon. Then the June 5 submission deadline was handed down, and everything got thrown into high gear. I found out at 1200 on the 3rd that MEPS finally scheduled me for the 4th, so I scheduled a flight for that afternoon. I then proceeded to not make my connecting flight in Newark. I had to either spend the night in the Newark Airport and hope that MEPS would take me late the next morning, or hop on the last flight out of Newark that just HAPPENED to be heading back home. I opted to stay it out and try to get to MEPS. I got into MEPS the next morning at 930, not the 600 that I was scheduled for, after not sleeping or showering. I went through my MEPS physical because apparently they don't really care so much when Navy OCS applicants get there. After I finished up with the medical I headed back to the Navy office in the MEPS station and who is standing at the door but RADM Andrews herself (for those not familiar, she's the one-star Commander of Naval Recruiting (all of it)). She promptly turned and asked me what job I did there, because I conveniently was wearing the same outfit that all of the civilian employees wear there. As I'm about to answer the Commander of the NRD steps forward and says "ma'am this is the recruit that I told you LT ****** had to go pick up from the airport this morning. This is him." She responded by looking at me and saying "Oh, that's you!" A few other questions were asked about who, what and why; and then I headed down to the district offices.

It was at this point that I found out that the Navy and my college calculated my GPA differently. My school, like many schools these days, only counts the most recent attempt of a course in the calculation. By their calculation on my official transcript, I had a 3.05 GPA. The Navy, however, counts all attempts of all classes ever. By their calculation I had a 2.33 GPA, well below the minimum of a 2.5. My recruiter did not realize that was how they calculated GPAs, and was kind of blindsided by it. So all of a sudden, two days before my wedding, I found myself more than 1200 miles from home, sleep deprived, and unqualified to even apply based on my GPA. To get to the end of this story here, the LT spoke to the CMC who said he hadn't ever seen anything like this either, but then said he would in essence do his CMC recruiting voodoo/black magic and see if they couldn't still get my package to the board. The CMDR there , who is himself a naval aviator, apparently also spoke to the program manager to make sure that my package would be able to be submitted without strikes even though some parts were not completed. 3 weeks later I find out that they made and exception to policy to take my package to board, and now here I am, 5 weeks later, with a ProRec-Y.

I am beyond grateful for the men and women who broke their backs just so that my application could get to the board, and while I know that none of the circumstances I went through are ordinary, I also realize that there are other people that will have some of these issues in the future. If nothing else, know that just because there isn't a waiver for it doesn't mean that you have to accept no as an answer. There is almost always another way. If my first NRD had submitted my app, it would have died in the pipeline, and they would not have been even remotely inclined to push it through. If MEPS had scheduled me for any other day besides two days before my wedding, and I hadn't missed my flight out of Newark, I wouldn't have met the Admiral, and she wouldn't have put a face to my name. If I had given up when I didn't have the GPA that I needed, I wouldn't have a ProRec-Y.

exNavyOffRec

TL,DR: first recruiter lied about submitting app and being rejected for age. New NRD worked tirelessly to process and submit my application, and then to make sure it went to board despite disqualifiers.

I wanted to put this post up just to help anybody who might be in a similar circumstance as I have been. This isn't by any means me saying that this kind of stuff will always work for everyone, but it did work for me through the hard work of some very fantastic people, and a little bit of determination.

So my journey started last January when I contacted a friend of mine who had become a recruiter in a completely different recruiting district about the possibility of becoming a Naval Aviator. At that point in time, I had been kicked out of school for having a 1.998 GPA, and my vision was 20/35 in each eye, and I was working full time as a supervisor at a retail store. He told me to work hard to bring my GPA up, get PRK done sooner than later, work on my PPL, and slam my ASTB. So I went and got PRK less than a month later, got around 20 hours of flight time in, and then over the course of the next 16 months I re-enrolled in school, took fulltime classes throughout the spring, and summer sessions while still working full-time. I retook 12 classes during this timeframe and managed to raise my GPA to 3.05 by the time I graduated this May. I took my ASTB this January, and scored a 71 9/9/9, so I felt pretty good about things. I began my application process with a recruiter in my local district, drove several hours to take the ASTB, and another several hours to get my physical completed. I completed all of the forms, got copies of every document that my recruiter requested etc etc etc. I was then told after the April board results began showing up here and I called to inquire that I had been rejected by the board because I was too old to commission in time. I had turned 26 two days before the board met.

TL,DR: I submitted my application to my recruiter, he didn't submit it to the board.

Fast forward a couple of months, and I found out from a personnel officer at NRC that my package never got submitted. I reconnected with my friend about the situation and he offered to put my application in if I could fly half way across the country to process through MEPS. I naturally agreed. So we went through the entire process again, while dealing with a college graduation, moving to a new apartment, and planning and executing a wedding. This meant scanning and emailing or faxing all of the documents that I needed, watching all of the videos, phone calls etc. We were trying to get me into MEPS but kept getting hung up in processing. The problem that we thought we were dealing with was my wedding being on June 6, and whether I would come out before the wedding or after the honeymoon. Then the June 5 submission deadline was handed down, and everything got thrown into high gear. I found out at 1200 on the 3rd that MEPS finally scheduled me for the 4th, so I scheduled a flight for that afternoon. I then proceeded to not make my connecting flight in Newark. I had to either spend the night in the Newark Airport and hope that MEPS would take me late the next morning, or hop on the last flight out of Newark that just HAPPENED to be heading back home. I opted to stay it out and try to get to MEPS. I got into MEPS the next morning at 930, not the 600 that I was scheduled for, after not sleeping or showering. I went through my MEPS physical because apparently they don't really care so much when Navy OCS applicants get there. After I finished up with the medical I headed back to the Navy office in the MEPS station and who is standing at the door but RADM Andrews herself (for those not familiar, she's the one-star Commander of Naval Recruiting (all of it)). She promptly turned and asked me what job I did there, because I conveniently was wearing the same outfit that all of the civilian employees wear there. As I'm about to answer the Commander of the NRD steps forward and says "ma'am this is the recruit that I told you LT ****** had to go pick up from the airport this morning. This is him." She responded by looking at me and saying "Oh, that's you!" A few other questions were asked about who, what and why; and then I headed down to the district offices.

It was at this point that I found out that the Navy and my college calculated my GPA differently. My school, like many schools these days, only counts the most recent attempt of a course in the calculation. By their calculation on my official transcript, I had a 3.05 GPA. The Navy, however, counts all attempts of all classes ever. By their calculation I had a 2.33 GPA, well below the minimum of a 2.5. My recruiter did not realize that was how they calculated GPAs, and was kind of blindsided by it. So all of a sudden, two days before my wedding, I found myself more than 1200 miles from home, sleep deprived, and unqualified to even apply based on my GPA. To get to the end of this story here, the LT spoke to the CMC who said he hadn't ever seen anything like this either, but then said he would in essence do his CMC recruiting voodoo/black magic and see if they couldn't still get my package to the board. The CMDR there , who is himself a naval aviator, apparently also spoke to the program manager to make sure that my package would be able to be submitted without strikes even though some parts were not completed. 3 weeks later I find out that they made and exception to policy to take my package to board, and now here I am, 5 weeks later, with a ProRec-Y.

I am beyond grateful for the men and women who broke their backs just so that my application could get to the board, and while I know that none of the circumstances I went through are ordinary, I also realize that there are other people that will have some of these issues in the future. If nothing else, know that just because there isn't a waiver for it doesn't mean that you have to accept no as an answer. There is almost always another way. If my first NRD had submitted my app, it would have died in the pipeline, and they would not have been even remotely inclined to push it through. If MEPS had scheduled me for any other day besides two days before my wedding, and I hadn't missed my flight out of Newark, I wouldn't have met the Admiral, and she wouldn't have put a face to my name. If I had given up when I didn't have the GPA that I needed, I wouldn't have a ProRec-Y.

I think I know what they figured out with the transcripts, the USN goes by the school so you could have 2 schools and 2 people that take exactly the same classes but have 2 different GPA's, one may count all attempts, the other does not, the USN goes by the school. it sounds like they tried to nuke your GPA and jacked it up, then someone at NRC got it right.

transcripts are much easier if the graduating school accepts all from the previous school and then you just have one transcript to deal with.

also.... it used to be the GPA from the worksheet went on the front, then from what RUFIO said they changed it to the most recent GPA which is used to figure out if you can apply, again, it sound like the NRD was confused and NRC fixed it.

mb1685

I think I know what they figured out with the transcripts, the USN goes by the school so you could have 2 schools and 2 people that take exactly the same classes but have 2 different GPA's, one may count all attempts, the other does not, the USN goes by the school. it sounds like they tried to nuke your GPA and jacked it up, then someone at NRC got it right.

transcripts are much easier if the graduating school accepts all from the previous school and then you just have one transcript to deal with.

also.... it used to be the GPA from the worksheet went on the front, then from what RUFIO said they changed it to the most recent GPA which is used to figure out if you can apply, again, it sound like the NRD was confused and NRC fixed it.

@RUFiO181, could you shed a bit more light on this? If I'm interpreting correctly, does that mean that the GPA calculation worksheet (form 1131/53) isn't utilized any more, and the final GPA listed on the graduating school's transcript is used instead? This is an aspect of my package that I'm a little confused about and I'm worried about it getting kicked back because of it.

I transferred from one university to another, and the university I conferred my degree from counts my transfer credits slightly differently than the university those credits actually came from. Specifically, it's an AFROTC physical fitness class that is taken each semester, and the university the classes were taken at doesn't count them as repeat credits, but the "transfer credits" section of the latter university DOES count the repeats. This makes it so that the final GPA on my degree-conferring transcript is ever so slightly higher than the GPA that's calculated if you manually divide the combined institution quality points by the combined institution earned hours from both transcripts. I've mentioned this to my recruiter, and he has an official transcript from both universities, but he seems very adamant that he can just use the final GPA from the latter transcript.

CTunderway

Yeah, it's entirely possible that they did it incorrectly. The LT made them pull the regs and show how they calculated it and we didn't see anything about using the school's calculated GPA. If that's the case that's great, I will let him know. Thanks for the heads up.
Great Motivational read. Glad it all worked out for you and Congratulations on your ProRec-Y !
Thanks, it didn't feel motivational until it all worked out ha ha.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
@RUFiO181, could you shed a bit more light on this? If I'm interpreting correctly, does that mean that the GPA calculation worksheet (form 1131/53) isn't utilized any more, and the final GPA listed on the graduating school's transcript is used instead? This is an aspect of my package that I'm a little confused about and I'm worried about it getting kicked back because of it.

I transferred from one university to another, and the university I conferred my degree from counts my transfer credits slightly differently than the university those credits actually came from. Specifically, it's an AFROTC physical fitness class that is taken each semester, and the university the classes were taken at doesn't count them as repeat credits, but the "transfer credits" section of the latter university DOES count the repeats. This makes it so that the final GPA on my degree-conferring transcript is ever so slightly higher than the GPA that's calculated if you manually divide the combined institution quality points by the combined institution earned hours from both transcripts. I've mentioned this to my recruiter, and he has an official transcript from both universities, but he seems very adamant that he can just use the final GPA from the latter transcript.

No the GPA calc sheet is still being used.

exNavyOffRec

Yeah, it's entirely possible that they did it incorrectly. The LT made them pull the regs and show how they calculated it and we didn't see anything about using the school's calculated GPA. If that's the case that's great, I will let him know. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks, it didn't feel motivational until it all worked out ha ha.

The data that goes into the sheet is from the transcripts, essentially if you put it into the form it auto-calculates and if it auto-calculates to something that doesn't match on the transcripts that means something is off. Take total GPA points from transcripts and total GPA hours from the transcripts put both into calc sheet and the GPA should match, you don't put in the GPA but if it doesn't calculate to be the same you usually end up getting kits sent back, which is what my NRD had happen more than a few times.

mb1685

The data that goes into the sheet is from the transcripts, essentially if you put it into the form it auto-calculates and if it auto-calculates to something that doesn't match on the transcripts that means something is off. Take total GPA points from transcripts and total GPA hours from the transcripts put both into calc sheet and the GPA should match, you don't put in the GPA but if it doesn't calculate to be the same you usually end up getting kits sent back, which is what my NRD had happen more than a few times.

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm still a little confused. When you talk about the auto-calculation (based on the inputted quality points and hours) needing to match the transcript(s), do you mean the auto-calculated GPA for each school needs to the match the respective school's transcript's "institution GPA" (hours only from that school) rather than the "final GPA" (which includes transfer hours)?

I'm a little concerned if there's a requirement to add the total institution quality points and hours from each school (i.e. ignoring the "transfer hours" section on the latter transcript) and for that GPA to match the "final GPA" on the latter transcript. It's impossible for mine to match since the university I conferred my degree from counts one of my transfer credits twice (an AFROTC physical fitness class that's taken each semester), but the university I took the class at only counted the credit once.

If that's confusing, I'll try to briefly illustrate the issue in a more visual way (although the numbers are just examples):

• School A's transcript
    • 47 institution hours, 163 institution quality points, 3.47 institution GPA
      • (transfer to School B)
  • School B's transcript
    • 50 transfer hours, 175 transfer quality points, 3.5 transfer GPA (discrepancy compared School A's transcript -- caused by a repeated class not being counted by School A but being counted by School B)
    • 80 institution hours, 275 institution quality points, 3.44 institution GPA
    • 130 total hours, 450 total quality points, 3.46 final GPA
If the final GPA is calculated on the worksheet by combining the institution quality points from each school and dividing by the combined institution hours from each school (438 quality points, 127 hours), it would be 3.45. However, because School B is counting that repeat transfer credit but School A does not, the final GPA listed on School B's transcript would be 3.46 (450 quality points, 130 hours). If NRC wants those numbers to match, then I'm not sure what to do since it's a matter of a weird discrepancy and not human error.

exNavyOffRec

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm still a little confused. When you talk about the auto-calculation (based on the inputted quality points and hours) needing to match the transcript(s), do you mean the auto-calculated GPA for each school needs to the match the respective school's transcript's "institution GPA" (hours only from that school) rather than the "final GPA" (which includes transfer hours)?

I'm a little concerned if there's a requirement to add the total institution quality points and hours from each school (i.e. ignoring the "transfer hours" section on the latter transcript) and for that GPA to match the "final GPA" on the latter transcript. It's impossible for mine to match since the university I conferred my degree from counts one of my transfer credits twice (an AFROTC physical fitness class that's taken each semester), but the university I took the class at only counted the credit once.

If that's confusing, I'll try to briefly illustrate the issue in a more visual way (although the numbers are just examples):

• School A's transcript
    • 47 institution hours, 163 institution quality points, 3.47 institution GPA
      • (transfer to School B)
  • School B's transcript
    • 50 transfer hours, 175 transfer quality points, 3.5 transfer GPA (discrepancy compared School A's transcript -- caused by a repeated class not being counted by School A but being counted by School B)
    • 80 institution hours, 275 institution quality points, 3.44 institution GPA
    • 130 total hours, 450 total quality points, 3.46 final GPA
If the final GPA is calculated on the worksheet by combining the institution quality points from each school and dividing by the combined institution hours from each school (438 quality points, 127 hours), it would be 3.45. However, because School B is counting that repeat transfer credit but School A does not, the final GPA listed on School B's transcript would be 3.46 (450 quality points, 130 hours). If NRC wants those numbers to match, then I'm not sure what to do since it's a matter of a weird discrepancy and not human error.

If I am reading it correctly you are saying that the grades and GPA credits from school A are in school B's transcript, correct? If so then only the transcript and information from school B would be used for the calculation sheet as the instruction says classes will not be counted twice (example calc 1 taken at school A, and school B includes calc 1 and grade on their transcript)

mb1685

If I am reading it correctly you are saying that the grades and GPA credits from school A are in school B's transcript, correct? If so then only the transcript and information from school B would be used for the calculation sheet as the instruction says classes will not be counted twice (example calc 1 taken at school A, and school B includes calc 1 and grade on their transcript)

It's a little stranger of an issue than that, and I think I'm having troubling explaining it clearly and I apologize.

The credits from School A are indeed listed in School B's transcript (it lists School B's credits as "institution" and School A's as "transfer"), but there's a discrepancy between the "transfer" section of School B's transcript and the actual School A transcript itself. I took an AFROTC physical fitness class for two semesters at School A (the class was required each semester for cadets), and School A only counts it for credit once, but School B's "transfer" section counts it twice.

So if you disregard the "transfer" section on School B's transcript and manually determine an overall GPA by combining the "institution" hours/points from each school, you get a slightly different GPA than what the final GPA is on School B's transcript (since School B's "transfer" section is actually adding a few more hours and points because it counted that AFROTC class twice).

If they're fine with just using School B's transcript data then it sounds like it shouldn't be an issue, but if they add the credits/points from each individual school (only the institution hours, so that transfer credits aren't double-counted) and they require that to match the total on School B's transcript (institution + transfer), there will definitely be a discrepancy.

exNavyOffRec

It's a little stranger of an issue than that, and I think I'm having troubling explaining it clearly and I apologize.

The credits from School A are indeed listed in School B's transcript (it lists School B's credits as "institution" and School A's as "transfer"), but there's a discrepancy between the "transfer" section of School B's transcript and the actual School A transcript itself. I took an AFROTC physical fitness class for two semesters at School A (the class was required each semester for cadets), and School A only counts it for credit once, but School B's "transfer" section counts it twice.

So if you disregard the "transfer" section on School B's transcript and manually determine an overall GPA by combining the "institution" hours/points from each school, you get a slightly different GPA than what the final GPA is on School B's transcript (since School B's "transfer" section is actually adding a few more hours and points because it counted that AFROTC class twice).

If they're fine with just using School B's transcript data then it sounds like it shouldn't be an issue, but if they add the credits/points from each individual school (only the institution hours, so that transfer credits aren't double-counted) and they require that to match the total on School B's transcript (institution + transfer), there will definitely be a discrepancy.

They should only use the info from school B as that is the graduating transcript and accepting the transcripts, if they evaluated the classes and gave you "extra credit" that is there call, not the USN's.

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
Yeah, I was under the impression that they'd nix any credits you didn't use toward your actual degree, but, since none of my transcripts from schools after had calculated a cumulative GPA, they had to factor in everything. I left college the first time with a 1.9, and, even though I completed my AA and BS with a 3.6 and 3.98 respectively, everything still only factored out to a 3.54.

mb1685

You can find the GPA calc sheet under "GPA CALCULATION WORKSHEET" and add the numbers up yourself.

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/forms.htm

Thanks for that invaluable link! I'll bookmark that page. Previously I had only been able to find a PDF that didn't allow data to be input.

Because of the previously mentioned discrepancy, the GPA worksheet's total GPA indeed comes out to be a hundredth of a point different than the final GPA listed on my graduating school's transcript. But based on what NavyOffRec said, it sounds like it may not be an issue if they just take everything from the graduating school's transcript since it lists and factors transfer credits. Thank you both for the help.

Sorry for the threadjack, @CTunderway!

CTunderway

Ha h
Thanks for that invaluable link! I'll bookmark that page. Previously I had only been able to find a PDF that didn't allow data to be input.

Because of the previously mentioned discrepancy, the GPA worksheet's total GPA indeed comes out to be a hundredth of a point different than the final GPA listed on my graduating school's transcript. But based on what NavyOffRec said, it sounds like it may not be an issue if they just take everything from the graduating school's transcript since it lists and factors transfer credits. Thank you both for the help.

Sorry for the threadjack, @CTunderway!
, no worries. I posted this thread so people would have a jumpoff point for questions about related things. Glad to see it helped at least one person.