• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Low Flying B-52

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.......you guys are poking the USAF for being a bunch of over-rule-following pencilnecks that "can't do anything unless it's spelled out in the regs" (with the sharp implication that the Navy's 'if it doesn't say you CAN'T do it...' philosophy is the Truly Superior Way Of The Light)......

The zoomie finally gets it! Unfortunately he had to put it in USAF-speak making it instantly unpaltable for us humble Navy folk.......

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Would a low "incidence" of the fuselage at high-speed be beneficial during a bombing run to ensure that the ordnance does not smack into the rear of the fuselage the moment it experiences the drag of the relative wind? :confused:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Have you seen the fancy computer re-creation that the AF made of that C-17 mishap? I have. Let me tell you what, I can't even imagine that series of events taking place on any Navy flight deck. Do you know why? Because we put a flight engineer up there that will smack the shit out of a pilot who does anything close to what that guy did. If you haven't seen it and have access to it, watch it.

I humbly submit that you reconsider the possibility of a community bias on your part. That whole white jet/national asset/PRP thing probably has a huge influence on the way folks do business. The CO, peers, and individuals are big variables there too.

Just sayin'.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
. Let me tell you what, I can't even imagine that series of events taking place on any Navy flight deck. Do you know why? Because we put a flight engineer up there that will smack the shit out of a pilot who does anything close to what that guy did. If you haven't seen it and have access to it, watch it.

WOW. Just wow. I realize you're an E-6 guy, but for the sake of this argument you're getting lumped in with P-3 dudes: where was the FE who let the skipper land more than half way down a runway at Bagram...? Where was the FE when the dudes up in Whidbey spun their steed?

Yours was one of the boldest and least appropriate comments I've seen WRT a mishap in a long time.

magnetfreezer

Would a low "incidence" of the fuselage at high-speed be beneficial during a bombing run to ensure that the ordnance does not smack into the rear of the fuselage the moment it experiences the drag of the relative wind? :confused:
Not usually an issue. In addition to the force of gravity, the ejectors in racks/pylons have a shotgun shell type of charge to kick the weapon down. The relative wind is not that much of a factor initially since the bomb is also moving at 600kt or whatever the plane is when it is released. After that the chutes on the back of the bomb usually kick in at low level to avoid fragging yourself.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Where was the FE when the dudes up in Whidbey spun their steed?

To be fair, it was the FE that saved them. He was able to get the other motor online which helped pull them out of the spiral. The thing is, as long as there are people operating aircraft in any capacity, there will be errors and there will be accidents. What you as an operator must do is learn from those previous incidents and be ready for when something goes wrong. The phrase "NATOPS is written in blood" exists for a reason.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
You seriously underestimate the stupidity of a few FEs, they can lack common sense just like Naval Aviators, NFOs and even USAF pilots too. Most are worth their weight in gold but a few just ain't all there. Stupid knows no bounds to include rank, age, experience or service.

Like any sampling of individuals, I would agree that a few are not "all there." However, I would submit that those rarely make it through the pipeline. I have been very blessed to fly with some of the most motivated and shit hot sailors I've ever seen as FEs.

Yes, I've seen the video, heard the CVR, read the report. The idea that an FE would have been the key to saving the day is asinine. There were plenty of people on that airplane who could have stopped that chain of events.

The fact that you "can't imagine" that series of events happening in a Navy aircraft means that you're either totally unimaginative or totally ignorant. Just because you haven't seen something like that during your time in the TACAMO doesn't mean that stuff like that doesn't -- or wouldn't -- happen anywhere in your service. It certainly, absolutely, without question HAS happened in the history of your service, just like it has in mine. Period.

I'm not arguing that it hasn't happened in my service. That isn't what I said. I'm arguing that I don't think it could happen on a multi-crew aircraft where there are four guys on that flight deck keeping the one on the controls honest. I get yelled at when I exceed 30 degrees AOB in the pattern. PM Sent.

WOW. Just wow. I realize you're an E-6 guy, but for the sake of this argument you're getting lumped in with P-3 dudes: where was the FE who let the skipper land more than half way down a runway at Bagram...? Where was the FE when the dudes up in Whidbey spun their steed?
Yours was one of the boldest and least appropriate comments I've seen WRT a mishap in a long time.

Sweet, you are lumping me in with a community who's similarity to mine ends with the multi crew aspect. Awesome. Mea Culpa WRT the inappropriateness of the comment, not one of my finer posts here. I have many friends who are C-17 pilots and it makes my skin crawl to imagine that happening to anyone. You are a prowler guy, correct? How does the four seat dynamic work? Do you get smacked over the head by ECMO-1 if you do something stupid or unsafe at the controls? Or, do they sit there quietly?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
When you called the COCKPIT a flight deck your post achieved FAIL. No further reading needed.

Yeah, it's one of the unfortunate side-effects of the job... Fortunately it's a rare thing. It's mostly referred to as the "cockpit."

Pugs

Back from the range
None
How does the four seat dynamic work? Do you get smacked over the head by ECMO-1 if you do something stupid or unsafe at the controls? Or, do they sit there quietly? [/FONT]

That again comes into that cross-cockpit experience gradient thing. Yes, I "smacked" a pilot if he was doing something had them do the same to me if I was. Of course, there's a Prowler on a stick at NUW because the pilot thought his shit didn't stink and the ECMO in the right seat wasn't strong enough to be forcefull about it. In my time I never heard anyone in the crew afraid to speak up if anyone else was doing something dumb. that's not to say that some were quiet becasue they had no idea of what dumb was. ;)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Sweet, you are lumping me in with a community who's similarity to mine ends with the multi crew aspect.

Wasn't that the point of your whole post, that this couldn't happen in a multi crewed aircraft in the USN? What about the helos at Tahoe...there were 2 sets of 2 that went along whoever came up with that bright idea. The right combination of broken planes, stupidity, inattention and hubris means these kinds of things can happen to anyone, in any kind of aircraft.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Wasn't that the point of your whole post, that this couldn't happen in a multi crewed aircraft in the USN? What about the helos at Tahoe...there were 2 sets of 2 that went along whoever came up with that bright idea. The right combination of broken planes, stupidity, inattention and hubris means these kinds of things can happen to anyone, in any kind of aircraft.

Winner. +1.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
...Because we put a flight engineer up there that will smack the shit out of a pilot who does anything close to what that guy did.

Yup...you put a flight engineer up there just like other E-6 crews did. The shit hot E-6 FE that "let" two pilots land 784 half off/half on 21R @ SUU. Another shit hot E-6 FE that, due to lack of systems knowledge, caused a loss of generators scenario...at night...in bad weather...twice. Yet another shit hot E-6 FE that QAed the 55 hour O-ring change. Next flight...#3 loss of oil pressure...precautionary shutdown...cause of oil loss - improper maintenance that a proper QA should of caught. Every position on every aircraft can adversely effect another in some way. We catch the mistakes most of the time. As you get more senior and learn that everyone Fs it up sometimes you will understand.

You may be able to strengthen the links in the mishap chain but you are forced fed the Swiss cheese. Sometimes the holes line up.