• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking into becoming an officer; would appreciate some insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Go see a recruiter now. The only way to get selected now is to apply early through the BDCP program. You may have to study for the test. There is gouge on this site that may help. Your language mastery will help, especially the polish. No chance for Intel or Crypto if your parents ae not citizens. Should be no problem for any other job. Talk to the recruiter about pilot, Naval Flight Officer, and Surface Warfare. They are the line officer postions you would most likely qualify for. Good Luck

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
jrasmussen said:
I think I just got that impression from the numerous responses found on this thread: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8954&highlight=parental+citizenship\
about people being denied because of parental citizenship. I read it through and ended up more confused that when I started. Wannabe, might wanna check it out.

Some of the posts on that thread don't really apply to that thread or this one here. That is probably what confused you jrasmussen.

In any case, wannabeNavy I wholeheartedly agree with Wink and he has experience being a recruiter so you are getting good advice.

Sabre170

None
Like it was said above, start now. The process took me 15 months from the time I first went to talk to the recruiter to the time I report to OCS (seven months from first conversation to final select) and that as not BDCP.

Get into shape now. Start running, doing situps and pushups. Get your hieght / weight in check, keep your GPA up and ask yourself, how much are you willing to do and how far are your willing to go to becaome an officer? If you can't lose weight and get into shape, don't waste your time or the recruiters (no offence meant). I lost 25 pounds and improved my run time by 2 minutes and my push ups went from 35 to 61. It can be done.

wannabeNAVY

Sabre170 said:
Like it was said above, start now. The process took me 15 months from the time I first went to talk to the recruiter to the time I report to OCS (seven months from first conversation to final select) and that as not BDCP.

Get into shape now. Start running, doing situps and pushups. Get your hieght / weight in check, keep your GPA up and ask yourself, how much are you willing to do and how far are your willing to go to becaome an officer? If you can't lose weight and get into shape, don't waste your time or the recruiters (no offence meant). I lost 25 pounds and improved my run time by 2 minutes and my push ups went from 35 to 61. It can be done.

No offense taken. I definitely don't want to waste anyone's time. I don't really have weight to lose, but I have a long way to go to get myself to be competitive in terms of strength and endurance. Like I said, I'm willing to bust my behind to get there.

My short term concern is BDCP. Sorry to pose this question yet again, but do I need to pass the PRT in order to qualify for BDCP?

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I believe so. I am currently waiting to hear word back about BDCP for Intel, Supply, and NFO. My package is in, all my Advance Documents (ADDOCS) are completed, and I have been through MEPS and been medically qualified, so all we are waiting on is to hear whether I have been Professionally Recommended (Pro-Rec'd) or not. If I am Pro-Rec'd, I will have to go in and finish my Final Documents (FINDOCS), and, as far as I have been informed by my recruiter, the PRT is part of that. So, it would seem that before I can finish my FINDOCS, I have to qualify on the PRT, with a Good Low score, I believe, which is 47 pushups in 2 minutes, 57 situps in 2 minutes, and the 1.5 mile run in 12:00 or less. Then, once we send in my FINDOCS and PRT results, if all goes according to plan, I will get Final Selected and swear in, then be officially in the Navy. Hope this is all correct and lacking of bum gouge, and hope it helps. Feel free to correct me all you lucky BDCPers. :D

wannabeNAVY

metro said:
I believe so. I am currently waiting to hear word back about BDCP for Intel, Supply, and NFO. My package is in, all my Advance Documents (ADDOCS) are completed, and I have been through MEPS and been medically qualified, so all we are waiting on is to hear whether I have been Professionally Recommended (Pro-Rec'd) or not. If I am Pro-Rec'd, I will have to go in and finish my Final Documents (FINDOCS), and, as far as I have been informed by my recruiter, the PRT is part of that. So, it would seem that before I can finish my FINDOCS, I have to qualify on the PRT, with a Good Low score, I believe, which is 47 pushups in 2 minutes, 57 situps in 2 minutes, and the 1.5 mile run in 12:00 or less. Then, once we send in my FINDOCS and PRT results, if all goes according to plan, I will get Final Selected and swear in, then be officially in the Navy. Hope this is all correct and lacking of bum gouge, and hope it helps. Feel free to correct me all you lucky BDCPers. :D

Thanks. So now I have two more areas of question:

1.) What are the specifics of the general statment "Must meet Navy physical standard"? What does this include besides the PRT? I have 20/20 vision and no pre-existing medical conditions.

2.) What is the timeline of application for BDCP or OCS? That is, if I would start my application process this coming January or February how soon thereafter should I expect to take the physical test?

3.) If I apply for BDCP and fail my PRT the first time, will they give me another chance/time to improve? As you can see, the physical requirements worry me far more than the mental ones. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.