• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking into becoming an officer; would appreciate some insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabeNAVY

Hello all,

I'm currently a sophomore in college and have been doing some reseach on BDCP, OCS, and becoming an Officer in the Navy in general. Early next year, I want to apply for BDCP and OCS. I will try to get in touch with an officer recruiter next week; but before I do that and make myself look like an idiot, I want to make sure there is at least a shred of hope for me.

I transferred schools this year; my GPA at my previous school was a 3.7. Now I have a clean slate and the possibility of earning a 4.0 if all goes well on my exams this week.

My major is Communication with a minor in International Studies. I speak Polish fluently and have "mastered" Spainish at the "intermediate" level.

Unfortunately, I am a first-generation American (my parents are immigrants) and have no connections with anyone in the Armed Forces.

I would be particularly interested in any of following:
-Intel
-Crypt
-Aviation (Yeah, I know, no need.)

I'm not too crazy about the prospect of a "desk job"...I have been browsing through the forum and reading various experiences and stories, and have started to doubt myself. It seems much more qualified candidates (those with decent GPAs in a tech major, impressive athletic records, and connections in the Forces, among other things) are not getting what they had hoped for.

Physically, I'm a kinda skinny dude (6'1", 175lbs.) and I know I would have to spend the next two years working hard on strength, endurance, and swimming to be competitive at OCS.

So: Do I have a chance? Best-case scenario? Worst-case scenario? This is the first post-college option I've come across that has really interested and inspired me. But I don't want to get my hopes up if I don't have a decent chance of being successful.

Again, I'd appreciate any and all input. Thanks for reading. :)

-
Adrian

Kycntryboy

pilot
A good g.p.a. always helps... the thing is with today is that the slots are tied up. With you applying for a spot 2 years in advance you have a natural advantage over others that have not applied yet. You chances only get worse the longer you wait because there become fewer and fewer slots. Be prepared you have to take a test for Crypto and I believe Intel also there is a test for Aviation (even though you need to take that test anyway to get your Officer Additude Rating).

wannabeNAVY

Thanks for the response.

I have a question about BDCP:

Will I have to pass a physical test BEFORE I would be accepted? I will admit that, as of now, I am a weak and out of shape dude; I would probably die if I tried to meet the requirements for the PRT. :(

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
If you're not too crazy about a desk job, you might not be too crazy about Intel or crypto. Remember, a desk job on a boat is still a desk job.

wannabeNAVY

Thisguy said:
If you're not too crazy about a desk job, you might not be too crazy about Intel or crypto. Remember, a desk job on a boat is still a desk job.

Oops, I didn't mean it like that. A desk job on a boat or elsewhere that deals with interesting information is fine with me. :) I certainly don't want a civilian "Office Space"-type desk job. :)

jrasmussen

Pro-Rec'd for Intel
Not to discourage you, but just to give you fair warning, I've known quite a few people who were turned down for Intel and Crypto because his or her parents weren't American citizens.

Lonestar155

is good to go
Personally If it is not in your heart to be an officer for this country dont do it. If it just because you dont want a "desk job," you may someday hate your job in the forces. Many of the guys in here have had a burning desire since childhood to someday become an officer. Then again you are the master of your own destiny.

Kycntryboy

pilot
jrasmussen said:
Not to discourage you, but just to give you fair warning, I've known quite a few people who were turned down for Intel and Crypto because his or her parents weren't American citizens.
Unless the board sent back a reason for the rejection (which I am not aware that they do, but I could be wrong). I wouldn't think that that just may be a coincidence, especially if the applicant was born in the US (I could only see a problem with ESPQ trying to verify info. out of the country, which would affect the security level that is trying to be obtained).

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
It all boils down to this man. If you want it bad enough and are willing to bust your butt to achieve your dreams, it CAN be done. Just because others have been turned down does not mean that you will be turned down also.

Even now when people are saying that there are no aviation slots, people are still getting them here and there. Someone has to, and it is only going to be someone who applied, not someone who did not apply becuase they got discouraged.

wannabeNAVY

Thanks for all of your responses. I haven't had the desire to be an officer since childhood...I just learned about the opportunities not too long ago, and it's something I would like to work toward and be passionate about.

Again, thanks for the heads up about Crypto and Intel. My parents are at least a year away from getting citizenship, so it looks like there's not much hope for any of my three choices. :(

I'll keep working the angles, though. :)

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
wannabeNAVY said:
Thanks for all of your responses. I haven't had the desire to be an officer since childhood...I just learned about the opportunities not too long ago, and it's something I would like to work toward and be passionate about.

Again, thanks for the heads up about Crypto and Intel. My parents are at least a year away from getting citizenship, so it looks like there's not much hope for any of my three choices. :(

I'll keep working the angles, though. :)

Don't be discouraged though. There are other opportunities within the Navy and other services that do not require you to have top security clearance. While it is important that you do something that really interests you, if you really simply want to serve this country in any capacity in the military, there are other options. Look into the other programs: Supply, SWO, AMDO, etc. One of those might be appealing. Talk to your recruiter about options and research those fully so you are aware of what you will be able to do and what you won't. Then decide if it is for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.