• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogpilot73

Enterprising JOs in my air wing developed the "Jarvick 7" named after the first successful artifical heart.

Bun
Mayo
Bacon
Fried Egg
Cheese
Hamburger patty
Bun​

Not for the faint of.....heart.​
The bowling alley at MCAS New River adds Lettuce & Tomato (onion if you want it) and calls it the "Master Guns". I could handle MAYBE one a week...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MasterBates told me in the chat room that approximately 25% of the Navy's aircraft are jets. I do not know if this means that 25% of pilot slots are for jets. Since there are two pilots per helicopter and one per jet (i think...), that could mean 15% or so of slots are open for jet pilots. I've also heard that it totally depends on the date of your OCS-- the powers that be might have a ton of open jet spots, and everyone who wants jets gets it, or there could be only one slot that they are looking to fill and everyone else gets helis and props. If anyone knows more than me please elaborate, as I am also very interested in this question. Also, any ideas of how to predict the needs of the Navy (ie. finish the application on a certain date to try to time what OCS to go to, in order to maximize the chances of getting jets)? I imagine that is quite hard if not impossible, and it's probably a pretty stupid question, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Since you are also interested in IB world, look at it this way....you might as well be asking how to predict the value of a certain stock on a date 1-2 years in the future. There are many variables and it's not so much that the navy can't predict that well, it is a supply and demand situation with OCS and other commissioning programs pumping SNA and SNFOs into a training pipeline based on overall projected needs, but specific warfare/community selections are made once in the system (not at OCS so that date isn't a valid determinant at all) and "Needs of the Navy" can change (just like stocks and investments) on a weekly if not daily basis (maybe not that frequently)because the "demand" side is driven by the various Fleet Readiness Squadrons (FRS) or "RAGs" that are associated with the type aircraft you'll eventually fly. So training command(s) tries to ensure they are pumping out the requisite number of rotary and fixed wing aviators at right times to feed the various RAGs. That's why you see different mixes of selections for the pipelines and then again for specific aircraft within those pipelines once winged.

You're better advised to get going and knock yourself out trying to excel so you can improve your chances of getting what your heart desires (that isn't necessarily guaranteed either due again to needs of Navy at time you select).

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
We always did Omelets at rats.. And of course, Tabasco popcorn... Ocassional slider or what was that... The Heart-Attack??? Barney something or another???

Some of our 'larger' tech reps did sliders and omelets at the same time, finished off with several trips to the Dog machine.

I vividly remember once standing next to a tech rep in line who ordered not one, but two, double cheeseburgers with extra cheese, ham and bacon, and a fried egg.

Maybe this is where Hardee's got the idea for their Mega-Monster burger. Now all they need to do is install a Dog machine and paint the outside of their buildings gray and assign a side number to them and we'll have brought the Navy to every neighborhood.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Barney Clark

That is it!

Some of our 'larger' tech reps did sliders and omelets at the same time, finished off with several trips to the Dog machine.

Wow.. I would love to witness that! But for Peanut Butter Dog.. I might even give that a shot!!!!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.. And of course, Tabasco popcorn......
Oooooo-o-o-o-o-o ... Tabasco popcorn and a cold OB beer -- heavy on the Tabasco, please ..... got introduced to that @ 8th Army HQ @ Dragon Hill in Seoul .... my life took a different turn after Tabasco popcorn and I've never looked back ... :)

Kamsahamnida

phrogpilot73

Oooooo-o-o-o-o-o ... Tabasco popcorn and a cold OB beer -- heavy on the Tabasco, please ..... got introduced to that @ 8th Army HQ @ Dragon Hill in Seoul .... my life took a different turn after Tabasco popcorn and I've never looked back ... :)

Kamsahamnida
You might try looking back at Old Bay on popcorn... A staple on my first deployment...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Who is the "Big XO"....
CDR Ben Cloud ... who was in "charge" of our CVA race riots. :D

I met him later when I stated in a loud voice that "I saw Bro' Cloud"
when queried @ a Hong Kong pub ... the only problem being he was standing right behind me. :eek:

I guess you had to be there to get the full implication .... :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Called "Hinge" because at the same time the brain is removed (upon pinning on gold oak leaves) a hinge is installed in the back of the neck to make it easier to nod in agreement to everything the skipper says, no matter how asinine.
Another version is that only half the brain is removed. The hinge is installed in the skull so that the powers that be can later reinstall the first half . . . or, in some cases, take out the other! :D

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, and for the newbies, because I'm not scheduled today and the sims don't open up till 1700 . . .

1. Who is the "Big XO"
XO of the ship, as opposed to the XO of your squadron.
2. When is a Commander not a Commander and a Captain not a Captain?
When the XO of a ship is traditionally referred to as "Commander" regardless of rank and the CO as "Captain," again, regardless of rank.
3. What is the difference between and AOM and an APM?
AOM=All Officer Meeting. APM=All Personnel meeting??
4. If someone with gold wings is talking about "Trick or Treat" and it ain't late October, what are they talking about?
Due to fuel state, you either trap this pass, or tank/divert.
5. What is 3710?
OPNAVINST 3710.7T . . . the Bible for Navy/Marine aircraft operation. The regulations which exist between the FARs which govern all aircraft in the US and the NATOPS manual which governs your particular aircraft.
6. When/how does one become a "nugget"
By graduating the RAG, checking into your first fleet squadron, and not having gone on cruise.
7. What is a "no grade"?
A "below average but safe" pass.
8. What is a Pollywog?
One who has not yet crossed the equator and become a shellback.
10. What is the difference between a section and a division?
Section=2 planes. Division=4. Light division=3. A division is 2 sections.
12. What are cut lights? What is a cut pass?
Cut lights=green lights on the IFLOLS/FLOLS which signal "roger ball" when first flashed. After that, they signal a power call from Paddles. I believe the official Paddles definition of a cut pass is "gross deviations inside the waveoff window." A pass so heinous and unsafe that it probably puts your wings in jeopardy.
14. Fill in the blanks: "________, __________, man your brooms!"
"Sweepers, Sweepers"
15. What is a hangfire?
The catapult crew has pressed the button, but the cat did not go bang. Keep your power up until told to throttle back; you many suddenly find yourself in the air anyway when it spontaneously goes off . . .
20. Who is the evil lord on a CV that uses a Ouija board to control his minions?
The Handler, who uses the Ouija Board to spot aircraft.
21. On the radio around the ship, who is "Tower" and who is "Bridge"?
"Tower"=the Air Boss. "Bridge"=Ship's CO
23. What is boarding rate? What is interval? Why are they important?
Boarding Rate=Percentage of passes in which you trap versus bolter or get waved off. Interval=distance between you and the guy in front. If your interval is jacked up, you will be too tight on the guy in front and thus get waved off foul deck when he is still in the gear. Thus, your boarding rate will suck. Conversely, if you are long, you will still be in the gear, and thus screw the guy behind you, causing HIS boarding rate to suck.
24. Who gets to break the deck? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
The first guy down after the deck is set for landing. A good thing, provided you are in the right place at the right time and don't pork it away.
25. Why are Navy Pilots so damned cool?
Because if we weren't, we wouldn't be Navy Pilots! :D

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's always the guy who has to spoil it .... :D
What, was there a rep prize for the first new guy with all the answers? :D

Edit: "Sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms. Give the ship a clean sweepdown fore and aft. Sweep down all something something, can't remember the rest but I think squeeze posted it here!"

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None

I vividly remember once standing next to a tech rep in line who ordered not one, but two, double cheeseburgers with extra cheese, ham and bacon, and a fried egg.
Did you go to his funeral?

Status
Not open for further replies.