• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GroundPounder

I've tried to look this up before, and never have found a definitive answer;
The catapult officer is an aviatior, but is that a full time job on a particular cruise? Or does that officer also fly with a squadron as well? From reading this site it seems as if being an LSO is a plus, is the catapult officer job considered a desirable billet?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When you you look outside from the starboard catwalk and see blowing snow and zero visibility, the weather is "squeeze." As in Dog Squeeze.

WOXOF = Opposite of CAVU

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
The catapult officer is an aviatior, but is that a full time job on a particular cruise? Or does that officer also fly with a squadron as well? From reading this site it seems as if being an LSO is a plus, is the catapult officer job considered a desirable billet?
Shooters are always aviators or NFO's. It is a full-time non-flying billet. The shooter tours are normally a good thing if you can perform well, however, they are normally P-3 types occupying the billets punching their disaccociated sea-tour tickets...desirable as in would it be fun?...former shooters have at it...I wouldn't want to do it.
when in doubt trust the E-2
Good advice in general. :D
Team Quicksand in da Hizouse!

HueyCobra8151

pilot
DocT: Those are the wings from the second question, the ones I showed I think are the one for the first question.

I keep seeing some instructors wearing a set of wings that are not quite regulation Naval Aviator wings. The top has what looks like ruffled feathers. One instructor told me they were Coastie wings, but I have also seen marines wearnig them any ideas?

joshmf

What's boco (pronounced boe-koe)?

Do you mean 'beau coup'? As in French for a lot, or many? Often heard in Vietnam war movies from hookers and the like? Its slipped into common usage like 'boco bucks' etc. since then, but it comes from the fact that Vietnam was a French colony, so many Vietnamese people spoke French at the time of the Vietnam war.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozer
What's boco (pronounced boe-koe)?

Do you mean 'beau coup'? As in French for a lot, or many? Often heard in Vietnam war movies from hookers and the like? Its slipped into common usage like 'boco bucks' etc. since then, but it comes from the fact that Vietnam was a French colony, so many Vietnamese people spoke French at the time of the Vietnam war.

Nope.
b... off cut off
because this thread needed some class...

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor

I thought boo koo myself. As in "She said soul brotha too boo koo."

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None

The Catapult Officer, more commonly referred to as a Shooter is typically a 24 month disassociated sea tour as part of ship's company. NFOs and pilots typically fill the shooter billets, but on my boat we also an LDO Aviation Boatwain's Mate qualify as a shooter too. There was an LDO AB in my class at shooter school, and when I went TAD to another boat, they had an LDO shooter. You definitely won't be flying as a shooter, unless you're flying off the boat in the back of a COD to go home on emergency leave, or you're at the end of your tour. If you have an ejection seat qual you may be able to get a cat shot and trap. The prowler squadron on my boat hooked a couple of shooters up. When I first checked in for my boat tour, we had 7 shooters, and only one was a pilot. We all came from the P-3, EP-3, and E-6B (TACAMO) community. By the time I left, we'd picked up a couple of helo pilots, an EP-3 pilot, and a Prowler NFO. When I first accepted my shooter orders, it was still pretty much a hard fill billet, but now it's tough to get shooter orders. Just about everybody from land based acft want to be a shooter. If you have to go to a boat for a non-flying tour, this is absolutely the best job. Although we have some interaction with the shoes, it's not nearly as bad or as much as the other boat jobs. For general quarters, shooters typically do like the Air Wing JOs and hang out in our staterooms in "shooter alley", unless of course, you're on deck shooting.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I was wrong, twice. .... But am I wrong that CAGs are usually pointed down/typewings pointed up? Anyone, Heyjoe/A4s?

Or thrice???

Rest easy, my son ... as we don't need no steenkin' pointy down/up things .... Air Wing 11 goes wherever it chooses --- and wave off -- no chance. (Always my favorite call .... ) :D

cag11cr4.gif

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Why is mid-rats Chili-Mac sooooo good?
Don't know about Chili-Mac ... but mid-rats is GOOD any way, any day (or night) ... 'cause you're tired, you stink, you're hungry, and you want to "talk" with some guys after cheating death .... again. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Either way here is my stupid question: I've gathered that pilots in training apparently are called studs, but why?
Do YOU wanna be a STUD or a DUD???

It sounds better and it is (or was) SKEDs shorthand for the dubious term: "students" .... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.