• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
How about this: what does Hud'n Hud'n mean?:confused:

1967tico.jpg

HUD'N HUD'N was more of a "battle cry" than a slogan --- kinda like "HOOOAH" or "OOORAH" --- and was the "intellectual property" of VF-194, the Legendary Red Lightnings, a GREAT F-8 FITRON .... althought several F-8 'RONs thought it "catchy" and appropriated it at times. It WAS and always will be VF-194's in their F-8 days, however.

Clever, yes??? We're STILL reminiscing 'bout it today ..... HUD'N HUD'N .... :D

vf1941clrfq9.jpg
92135839tj7.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

*sigh* .... and there he goes again .... *sigh* ....

You see, children and youngsters .... that's what can (and does) happen to F-4 drivers when you wave the HUD'N HUD'N banner in their face .... they roll their eyes, swallow their tongues, and flop around on the Ready Room deck ..... truly a tragic thing to see .... :D

Another AW's link: HUD'N HUD'N
:D

KBayDog

You might want to get a F-35 brief ...you can verbally modify what you want via voice-activated cockpit controls.

I guess what I meant was: How much can you see with just the helmet on your head (not including the electronic images)?

In other words, if I were to stick that thing on my head in the Flight Equipment shop, and not plug it into anything, how much different would my "unaided" view be than my current brain bucket?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess what I meant was: How much can you see with just the helmet on your head (not including the electronic images)?

In other words, if I were to stick that thing on my head in the Flight Equipment shop, and not plug it into anything, how much different would my "unaided" view be than my current brain bucket?

The view from your Mk 1 Mod 0 (unless you have PRK or other mods) eyeball should be no different. Everything is being projected onto your visor (when you want it).

KBayDog

The view from your Mk 1 Mod 0 (unless you have PRK or other mods) eyeball should be no different. Everything is being projected onto your visor (when you want it).

Cool. Thanks for the clarification. It just looked a bit "busier" in the periphery than what I use now. It's not like the F-35 is in my future; I just like to see what the "other guys" are using.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Can anyone provide information or a link to show the number of pilots and aircraft (preferably by platform) for each of the services? I'm really looking for the number of planes/helos for the Navy and Marines specifically.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can anyone provide information or a link to show the number of pilots and aircraft (preferably by platform) for each of the services? I'm really looking for the number of planes/helos for the Navy and Marines specifically.

What a minute, is this a thinly disguised attempt to discern or ask the question "What percentage get X?"

All kidding aside, you need to be more specific as to what you're looking for in the end. There are many more aircraft out there than assigned to operational units (RDT&E assets, aircraft in pipeline or rework or attrition storage) and there are more pilots than assigned to operational units due to disassociated and staff assignments (+ schools, etc.). Are you looking for percantages of operational aircraft and associated pilots by type/community or the overall picture, which depending on what you are looking for, could give you a different answer.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
I'm just wondering because I've heard that 80% of the Marine Corps is helos, but I never heard anything as far as the Navy. I'm just trying to gain a better sight picture about the structure of aviation in both branches (size and percentages of platforms in relation to the whole). I'm a poker player so I guess I just like to look at the whole and figure out the odds of selecting particular platforms. I know nothing is certain, and I'm not so much looking at % of getting jets, etc., I just know what each branch has although I would like to know how big communities are in relation to each other. I know it's kind of a vague question, any input is appreciated though.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
2 pair always beats one pair but a 50 doesn't always beat a 40. Makes odds figuring tougher than you'd think.

Nose

pilot
I'm just wondering because I've heard that 80% of the Marine Corps is helos, but I never heard anything as far as the Navy. I'm just trying to gain a better sight picture about the structure of aviation in both branches (size and percentages of platforms in relation to the whole). I'm a poker player so I guess I just like to look at the whole and figure out the odds of selecting particular platforms. I know nothing is certain, and I'm not so much looking at % of getting jets, etc., I just know what each branch has although I would like to know how big communities are in relation to each other. I know it's kind of a vague question, any input is appreciated though.

One problem with your plan is that even if you could count how many squadrons per platform and pilots/NFOs per squadron, there are still a lot (A LOT!) of stuff unaccounted for. From the CO of a CVN to a LT Shooter to LCDR in Base Ops to LCDR at BuPers, there are hundreds and hundreds of pilots that are not in a squadron or are not currently assigned to "their" platform.

The other problem is that even if you could get the numbers perfectly, that has nothing at all to do with what you will get. That rests on how well you do in flight school and the most important factor in career progression: timing.

You may be #1 in your graduation week and get Helos because that's what the Navy decides they need that week. You might be #10 and get Hornets because there is a Hornet "draft" going on.

Get yourself through AOCS, try to be the best in your class. Then kick ass in flight school. That will open as many doors as possible.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think we get what you're asking, but the best anyone could tell you is there are more X than Y. Specific numbers of airframes and numbers of pilots/FOs/aircrew, etc are really meaningless for comparison purposes. Suffice to say that there are a lot of helo bubbas out there in the Navy, definitely in the Mahreens and CG. Like Nose says, it comes down to what the Navy needs the week you select.

Status
Not open for further replies.