• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for a female perspective on OCS

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
I haven't gone through OCS or bootcamp with an IUD, but I did have the Mirena for 4 years. I had it taken out about 6 months before I went to DCOIC. I will send you a PM about my experiences with Mirena.

PettyOfficerCJ

Regarding the 'Female White T-shirts' on what items to bring, can anyone give me a tip on what exactly that means? I assume crew neck because it would be for wearing under a uniform. Did anyone really like a certain brand? Right now Old Navy has white t-shirts for $5 but it's a scoop neck. In the past I've bought packs of white men's t-shirts from Fred Meyer/Target like stores when making team shirts.

Thanks!

As a female currently in the Navy, I can tell you that these shirts are undershirts, and you'll have to get "crew neck" white shirts from the men's department. The edging on the neck should be about half an inch to an inch. Personally, I found a package of nice ones at a Jockey outlet store for men (the shirts they gave us at bootcamp weren't the best quality). You can find the Jockey brand in most department stores, I think. Just buy a small enough men's size to fit you.​

KMC1020

Any ladies been through recently with the new hair policy? Just wondering what kind of hair related items did you bring? I don't plan on cutting my hair so I'm trying to figure out the most efficient and secure way to make my bun in the mornings. Any products you recommend or wish you would have brought?

PettyOfficerCJ

Any ladies been through recently with the new hair policy? Just wondering what kind of hair related items did you bring? I don't plan on cutting my hair so I'm trying to figure out the most efficient and secure way to make my bun in the mornings. Any products you recommend or wish you would have brought?

I haven't been through yet and I plan on cutting my hair before I go, but I do currently have a bun in uniform. Learn to make a sock bun! It's the most secure and best looking. I actually use this mesh "donut" thing that you can get at a lot of places. I got mine at H & M. Claire's has them, etc. It's quite easy and definitely the best way to go (I tried the other ways before switching). You should be allowed to bring it. Many of the branches online uniform ordering sites even sell them as an uniform accessory.

Last edited:

PettyOfficerCJ

ps: If you don't have someone to show you how to make one, YouTube it. Also, if for some reason they do take away your mesh one from you, you will at least know how to make one and can just use a sock or other piece of material. The mesh bun is best though because you can actually stick pins into it as well.

KMC1020

Yeah I know how to make a sock bun. I got taught how to do that in NJROTC, but I have long hair so it takes me forever to pin up all the excess around the sock. I was just hoping for a quicker way. But I'll just keep working at it and try to pin faster haha!

AttackCanary

Just curious for the females getting ready to go into OCS or that have recently gone through, what were your PRT stats going in?
I've got all the limits and whatnot, just interested to hear where people are (especially push ups). When I first looked at the limits I was a little freaked about the push ups but am at ~25 in 2 minutes and gaining ground every day.

LadyT

Just curious for the females getting ready to go into OCS or that have recently gone through, what were your PRT stats going in?
I've got all the limits and whatnot, just interested to hear where people are (especially push ups). When I first looked at the limits I was a little freaked about the push ups but am at ~25 in 2 minutes and gaining ground every day.
How are you training for pushups? Are you juset doing a whole bunch of them or do you have some type of training plan that you follow?

Jenlm

Incorporate some weightlifting into your training routine if you don't already. You'll strengthen up those muscles in no time! I weight lift 5x a week and I've gotten to the point that I can hit 30 push ups in 30 seconds so I've never bothered trying for the full two minutes.

Tasha

How are you training for pushups? Are you juset doing a whole bunch of them or do you have some type of training plan that you follow?

It takes practice. 25 in 2 minutes isn't too difficult. For a 27 year old female, the max push ups in 2 minutes is 46 and min is 13. Practice doing a pyramid of push ups before bed or when you wake up. start with 1, then progressively move up to 10 and then back down to 1. Practice good form.
Personally, I also lifted 5x-6x a week before OCS and did a lot of high intensity interval training. I got my 1.5mile down to 10:17 pre OCS and stayed at around 1030ish minutes during OCS.. Plus, the PRT or any physical activity isn't too bad at OCS. Eat healthy, exercise daily, and you'll do great.

LadyT

It takes practice. 25 in 2 minutes isn't too difficult. For a 27 year old female, the max push ups in 2 minutes is 46 and min is 13. Practice doing a pyramid of push ups before bed or when you wake up. start with 1, then progressively move up to 10 and then back down to 1. Practice good form.
Personally, I also lifted 5x-6x a week before OCS and did a lot of high intensity interval training. I got my 1.5mile down to 10:17 pre OCS and stayed at around 1030ish minutes during OCS.. Plus, the PRT or any physical activity isn't too bad at OCS. Eat healthy, exercise daily, and you'll do great.
Thanks for the information! Also congrats on completing OCS!

KMC1020

How much room do we have to store our hygiene products? Just wondering how much I'm allowed to bring. The list on the OCS website doesn't specify what all we're allowed to bring in that department. For example, would I have enough room to bring shampoo, conditioner, body wash and face wash? Or should I condense that down to bar soap and a shampoo/conditioner mix? Also, are we allowed to bring hair dryers? Thanks!

suze1

How much room do we have to store our hygiene products? Just wondering how much I'm allowed to bring. The list on the OCS website doesn't specify what all we're allowed to bring in that department. For example, would I have enough room to bring shampoo, conditioner, body wash and face wash? Or should I condense that down to bar soap and a shampoo/conditioner mix? Also, are we allowed to bring hair dryers? Thanks!

You definitely have enough room for the hygiene products you listed. You're allowed to store things in a wall locker and the whole area under your mattress is a storage area as well. Hair dryers are allowed, too.

KMC1020

Ok ladies let's talk underwear. I know the color doesn't matter any more, but what kind of underwear did you bring? I don't want to worry about having a wedgie all damn day, so I was thinking bikini style. Should I bring a couple of white pair just to be on the safe side?