• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for a female perspective on OCS

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I mostly agree....but I've seen females wash out....and I've been in a squadron where one performed so badly (when there were just two of us) that it felt like I had to pick up the slack. This isn't a career for everyone. People have asked me many times what it's like to be a female pilot. LOVE IT! And they've asked me if I've gotten treated differently (good or bad). And the answer is no. I show up. I do my job. And I tried to be the best. End of story. But if you get scared having to perform up to guy's standards - get out now. I personally think there shouldn't be any difference in any standard - but that's a different soapbox. You can't be scared or intimidated. You can't say "well I'm a girl". Screw that. You're not a girl. You're a pilot.

Best perspective I've heard from a female yet.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
When I can attempt be a Seal I'll agree, till then......

So because you can't be a SEAL women should just be allowed to be weaker? What kind of logic is that? Is you can't keep up (because of age, weight, height, gender, etc) then you get out. Simple. One standard.

Sorry to those who didn't want my soapbox.

nursesoon

Banned
The prt grading scale is different, slightly lower for women on the push ups and run times. Doesn't mean women can't keep up or do the job.

When women have the same job rights as men in the military, then I will support using the same physical standards. Till then, the sexist prt crapola falls on death ears.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
The prt grading scale is different, slightly lower for women on the push ups and run times. Doesn't mean women can't keep up or do the job.

When women have the same job rights as men in the military, then I will support using the same physical standards. Till then, the sexist prt crapola falls on death ears.

Talk to me after OCS. If you can't keep up....you will be eaten alive. And not only that....it's personal pride. See how your class and DI view you when you drop out on runs and you sit on your hands and knees while the rest of the class is doing push-ups. Irritates the h*ll out of me. One standard.

nursesoon

Banned
Well I'll be going to ods, so it might be a bit different, the marine DI part I know. Either way, I can meet the female standard and doubt my nursing job will require being a pt stud. I work as a nurse aid now and can tell you it's as physical as any medical job comes but actual nursing is less of that.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

Ok, really??

I understand you're going for the Nurse Corps, but in the URL military, where jobs can get dangerous, it's a bit different.

The aircraft that is on fire doesn't care if you have breasts or not. It's not going to wait another 30 seconds to explode if you're female. If you're a slower runner, you're going to get FRIED. (extreme example, I know. But it illustrates a point)

"Slightly less" than the male standards? Really? 48 pushups is Outstanding high for women 20-24. For men it's 87. That's almost double! The MINIMUM passing score is 21 pushups! If you can't do 21 pushups, you are pathetic!

The run is over 2 minutes longer for the minimum passing score between men and women. Abysmal.

If women wanted to be treated as equals, they should be just as physically and mentally ready as the men! If you are, there will be no problem.

If you think OCS is going to accomodate female standards, you're in for a rude awakening. On the PRT, you may score fine, but those standards will put you in a WORLD of hurt for daily PT, Beatings (remedial PT when you screw up) and if you're the chick (or guy) always on her knees, whimpering, you will get NO mercy and will be singled out for being weak. Open your eyes and realize that while the rules on paper may be valid, OCS is another animal and life isn't always "fair" there.

If you're a nurse and going to ODS, fine. I can't speak about ODS. But for all the other OCS-bound women out there, read and heed!

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Well I'll be going to ods, so it might be a bit different, the marine DI part I know. Either way, I can meet the female standard and doubt my nursing job will require being a pt stud. I work as a nurse aid now and can tell you it's as physical as any medical job comes but actual nursing is less of that.

Well go ahead and be the weak one. I pity the guys in your class because they will be doing extra work because of you. Good luck getting any kind of respect.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

And I think you mean DEAF EARS, Einstein.

nursesoon

Banned
just STFU about your petty perceived inequalities.
Right back at ya'll guys on the prt scoring. I don't know if I have a chip, but I do have plenty of internet opinions and women being excluded from certain jobs based on gender alone is a big one.

And I think you mean DEAF EARS, Einstein.
LOL yes that was it. Kinda like that time I said the point was mute instead of moot. Why must these saying plague me so.

Slabby Wag

I didn't know what the hell she was talking about with "fifi"... NEVER heard that at OCS when I was there in pcola. That's about the gayest thing I've ever heard.

"SHIT, no! I reckon you'd get your ass kicked for sayin' something like that!"

;)

Well, When I was there a year or so ago, chiefs and DI's alike called girls "fifi" or "female" or "female candidate"

Lighten up, no need to be so nitpicky, or is it that the only place that you guys can be heard is on a forum...

Aggie08

IFS complete, starting API June 26!
Like I said about 6 hours ago, just stop. The hole is getting deeper, and you are all making this too big of an issue. People are starting to look retarded and embarrass themselves. If I were you I would cut my losses and drop it.

LET73

Look. It's simple--give 100 percent all the time, don't expect any special treatment because you're a female, and don't drag down your class. I had a great time at OCS (not that I'd ever do it again, but come on, you can do anything for 12 weeks), and ended up getting along just fine with my DI and classmates. Here's the thing. Females are in the minority at OCS and in the Navy. Get used to it. Almost no one will care that you're a female until you start making a big deal about it and walk around with a giant chip on your shoulder, and when people give you crap for that, it'll be your own fault.

There have been plenty of times over the past couple years where I've been in a meeting, or sitting in the wardroom, or wherever, and thought, Hey, I'm the only JO here/the only person who's not a SWO/the only person who's not prior enlisted... but I've never sat down and immediately thought, I'm the only female. Again, it's only a big deal if you make it one.

nursesoon

Banned
I assumed most navy nurses would be female because, well, most nurses are female. I will enjoy not being in the presence of 99% female for a change.