• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for a female perspective on OCS

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
For the runs, just try your best and don't willingly get in the following van - I would fall out of runs all the time in the beginning, but I was trying my damnedest and they knew it. A few times they made me get in the van because my 5'0' legs just couldn't keep up with the 6"3" guy setting the pace, as hard as I tried.
ODB

You had following-vans when you went to OCS? Ya, not so much for us. I remember the vans parked for traffic control but I don't think I ever heard about them picking people up.

Nikki2184

You had following-vans when you went to OCS? Ya, not so much for us. I remember the vans parked for traffic control but I don't think I ever heard about them picking people up.

For us vans were at the beginning of the run and the turn-around point. If people were injured or physically couldn't finsih the run, they got in the van and were taken to medical. Many went straight to H after that...

ODB is right, it's about pushing yourself and not giving up. Max effort every day. The only time you should say "I can't" is right before you say "DOR". You may not be able to do what they ask, but you damn well better try.

lyricsavvy

SWO, ENG-R- KILL!
Run till you drop?

Lyric - from one woman to another,

It sounds like you are doing what I did before OCS (way back) and trying to be prepared. Good job, and don't give up. BUT I want you to be ready for a shock. I am 5 feet tall and in decent shape. I got a personal trainer when I joined up and by the time I got to OCS, I had worked up to a 12:30 mile and half. Although this was within passing, it was so much slower than the majority of the class that I ended up working my ass off for the next 13 weeks. For the first 9 weeks, it was pretty rough. I'm not telling you this to dissuade you; only to prepare you. It may be the most physically tasking 13 weeks of your life, but it will be worth it. The most important thing is that you keep TRYING. When it comes to push-ups, if you are having a hard time, just put your butt in the air and make an upside-down V. DO NOT let your knees drop or you will never hear the end of it. For the runs, just try your best and don't willingly get in the following van - I would fall out of runs all the time in the beginning, but I was trying my damnedest and they knew it. A few times they made me get in the van because my 5'0' legs just couldn't keep up with the 6"3" guy setting the pace, as hard as I tried. Your positive attitude and perseverence will show and make a big difference.

Someone mentioned SWO, with good reason. If they tell you that you have to go SWO, strongly question that statement and do your research. As an aviator, I am a bit biased, but the SWO community can be a tough one unless you're a workaholic who doesn't need much sleep. (C'mon, SWOs, you know it's true.)

My little brother is an enlisted Army National Guardsman; we poke fun at each other, and he salutes me, but it's all good. Don't worry, you and your brothers will be fine.

Being a female Naval Officer for 6 years has been a very interesting experience - if you have any more questions, please let me know and I'd be happy to help.

ODB

Ok, so you ended up getting a Personal Trainer after acceptance into OCS? I had planned to do that as well. I am def. NOT to the point of running the 1.5 in 12min...but that was my goal. Now I hear you need to have it in about 8? What, do you all SPRINT on your runs at OCS? :eek: Seriously, I thought the goal was not only to push yourself, but support your fellow candi-o's through the hell-that-is-PT?
Honestly, I'm not seeing myself as one to put herself out there, physically, as an example of PT Excellence. I am more than satisfied with improving myself if and when I get into OCS...like someone said on this thread, there will be times when NOTHING you do is right. I don't want to be a target, but I don't want to be "THE EXAMPLE". I don't see this attitude as "sandbagging"--I see it as prudent. Has anyone seen the photo-documentary done on OCS? There's a woman who is...well... not in the best shape--I don't know if she was rolled, but she did eventually make it through.

Don't get me wrong, though...hearing y'all loud and clear on the necessity to be in top shape by OCS. Now, I am a bit confused on "in-PRTs" and "out-PRTs". What are these? Is the "in-PRT" the same as the PFT test you have to take along with the ASTBs and your Med Exam?
I thought the PFT required women between 25-27 to run the 1.5 at 20:00 or under, PU at 13 or more in 2 min; and CU of 37 or more in 2 min. I was aiming at scoring on my initial PFT, in order to pass--1.5 miles in 15:00; 25 PU in 2 min and 100 CU in 2 min.
After being accepted, I will aim at hitting the 1.5 in 9:00...but that's sprinting to me, and will def. kill me a little bit, each time I try for it!

Thank you for the feedback, though. I REFUSE to accept DOR as an option, so these reality checks are important to me. Please keep 'em coming!
Bree

schwarti

Contributor
The In-PRT is the PRT that you take in the first few days of OCS - you can't continue until you pass. The Out-PRT is the one you take towards the end of OCS - you can't graduate unless you pass. They're the same as the PRT you take with your application package.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously people. If it takes you 20 minutes to run 1.5 miles, not only do you have no business serving in any branch of the military, much less as an officer, but you should be giving real consideration to killing yourself.

Brett

Nikki2184

Seriously people. If it takes you 20 minutes to run 1.5 miles, not only do you have no business serving in any branch of the military, much less as an officer, but you should be giving real consideration to killing yourself.

Brett

This may be a bit HARSH!

everyone has a different intiail fitness rate. I couldn't run much faster than an 18 min 1.5 miles when I first started training. Last half mile killed me, I had no induracne. When I graduated OCS, I was at 11:12, which is an outstanding medium for my age/sex.

No need to kill yourself...just realize where you need to be and push as hard as possible to get there. Realisitically, as a female, you should be doing at least a 13 min 1.5 mile before you go to ocs, if not better. It may seem impossible at times, but believe me, it's not. I worked out twice a day training for OCS, ran about 2-3 miles every morning and lifted weights at night. I was still barely ready by the time OCS rolled around (was running a 13:15 1.5 and still the slowest in my class). You have to make sure you are truely committed to improving your times. You gotta get the most out of every work out.

Eventually, you'll get there.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I believe "excellent" timing is 13:00 for the 1.5 miles,

Good low for my age group is 12:52, you have quite the advantage over your male counterparts, not a disadvantage.

lyricsavvy

SWO, ENG-R- KILL!
MEPS and ASTBs

Cheers!
I've scheduled my MEPS and ASTBs for September 24-25th. I'm going to study like MAD this week and next, and will keep working on my running times/push-ups/curl-ups as usual (even though "Ike" is dumping torrential rain at the moment).

Thanks to all for the advice and whatnot...I appreciate everything said (well, everything LOGICAL and HELPFUL)...

My goal, at this point, is to make it to 13:00 by my PFTs...even if it means pushing this back UNTIL I make the time. I also recognize that my current training on street-pavement isn't helping me any. I'm changing my running routes to include a golf-course by my house and a HS track.
I also will be adding kick-boxing to my routine to increase endurance per suggestion.

I'm deturmined, once I get to peak shape, not to fall out of it again...simply put, staying in shape is MUCH easier than trying to train.
Pax!

BullGator

What is "I33tspeak?"

Never seen it before this thread and I seen it many times on this thread and figured I'd finally chime in with a question about it. Is it ebonics or shortened internet-language (i.e. U=you and R=are)? Fill me in please.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
What is "I33tspeak?"

Never seen it before this thread and I seen it many times on this thread and figured I'd finally chime in with a question about it. Is it ebonics or shortened internet-language (i.e. U=you and R=are)? Fill me in please.

How u n0t no3 teh l33t sp3@k? U r SOOO teh ghey!

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
.. Induracne ..

Induracne: -noun -an inflammatory disease of the sebaceous glands, characterized by craters, pimples, and zits that just won't quit!

194differinadapalenepi3.jpg

BullGator

How u n0t no3 teh l33t sp3@k? U r SOOO teh ghey!
I understood 7 of the 12 words... not to shabby. Heh. I don't text message (get them now and then, but I just call back) and I haven't used AOL in about 8 years, so I am behind on this one for sure. You know what, I enjoy being behind this fad. :D

Thanks Flash. So it is "leet speak." Sounds pretty annoying. I thought texting was hard enough, now we have to crack codes. I feel like an old man here: "damn kids."

lyricsavvy

SWO, ENG-R- KILL!
Just a side note...

I understood 7 of the 12 words... not to shabby. Heh. I don't text message (get them now and then, but I just call back) and I haven't used AOL in about 8 years, so I am behind on this one for sure. You know what, I enjoy being behind this fad. :D

Thanks Flash. So it is "leet speak." Sounds pretty annoying. I thought texting was hard enough, now we have to crack codes. I feel like an old man here: "damn kids."

I agree--street language and pop culture ought not dictate and totally influence the art of dictation.
I honestly despise this type of "writing"...just as I loathe people saying they are "good" rather than "well"...an English teacher had the audacity to say that this type of proper grammar is falling by the wayside--and so it should, he maintains, as language is intrinsically changeable. I then questioned his claim to a profession, if the English Language is constantly developing--why try teaching the rules of it? Why not allow pop culture to educate the masses?
How did this type of communication come to being? Did someone start the trend, or a group of friends? Hmmm...Wikipedia, here I come!