• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for a female perspective on OCS

BullGator

I agree--street language and pop culture ought not dictate and totally influence the art of dictation.
I honestly despise this type of "writing"...just as I loathe people saying they are "good" rather than "well"...an English teacher had the audacity to say that this type of proper grammar is falling by the wayside--and so it should, he maintains, as language is intrinsically changeable. I then questioned his claim to a profession, if the English Language is constantly developing--why try teaching the rules of it? Why not allow pop culture to educate the masses?
How did this type of communication come to being? Did someone start the trend, or a group of friends? Hmmm...Wikipedia, here I come!
Haha. Good post.

I heard something similar. That because so many are wrong now-a-days, we should all lower our English-standards to accommodate them; fore instance, changing the definitions of words and maybe even changing spelling words so that there will be multiple "correct" spellings for several words that people commonly get wrong. I say people learn to do it right or fall until they do, in class of course.

Jessica

Hey guys, I'm a female (obviously) who will be going to OCS in about a year and a half. I've been able to talk to plenty of males who went through ocs and they've given me alot of great advice but now im curious about the female experience. If there are any female ocs grads I'd really appreciate your input. Also, if any male grads remember fustrating things that females would do (and i mean only at ocs please ;), please warn me!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
This question has been asked here MULTIPLE times. Here's the most recent thread:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143768&highlight=female+OCS

Personally, and the biggest pet peeve of all the male candidates/the staff will be females expecting different standards. Sure the PT standards are different for females for the PRT, but you're going to be bear crawling just as far and doing just as many star-jumpers as all the males, so don't suck physically because they will NOT cut you any slack because you're a female. Your standards are different for the PRT, but if you can't keep up with the rest of the class physically during the "beatings" (remedial physical training), then expect to be dropped from the class and roll to H.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome Aboard

And it is a good thing that there are both women in this forum and women in Naval Aviation!

And for those aspiring to Naval Aviation*, "MG" aka (Rear Admiral Guadagnini) is Chief of Naval Air Training (CNATRA) so you might consider his post a "Welcome Aboard".....

*those with wings already know who he is.....

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
...Also, if any male grads remember fustrating things that females would do (and i mean only at ocs please ;), please warn me!
Everyone is hating life in your class so don't take it personal. As long as you remember, as bad as it gets, someone's had it worse and still made it through, you'll be fine. Oh, and if you've had problems holding your liquor in the past, remember that when you get liberty and be cautious.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Everyone is hating life in your class so don't take it personal. As long as you remember, as bad as it gets, someone's had it worse and still made it through, you'll be fine. Oh, and if you've had problems holding your liquor in the past, remember that when you get liberty and be cautious.

Sounds like advice from experience. ;)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
'cept if you got the black ninja...I think that's as bad as it gets.

WIDGET

Personally, and the biggest pet peeve of all the male candidates/the staff will be females expecting different standards.

Well said. If anything, you might get it worse because women tend to be in the back of the pack when it comes to bear crawls (which they don't do anymore?) and star jumpers. When you're in the up push-up position and your back isn't straight, they don't care what you're "equipped" with ... and neither do your classmates.
My suggestion - train for the men's maximums.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
...train for the men's maximums.
One PT session our DI says line up in two lines facing the same way, he then says fireman's carry and then for the first line to turn around to face your partner. Sure enough, one of the smallest females is staring at me. She did alright but this is what can and does happen frequently. You aren't males or females in the eyes of the staff, you're all candidates.
Sounds like advice from experience. ;)
Sadly yes. Not first hand, but the story was an odd one.