• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lock & Load???

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Any of you fired an auto M1? Now that's a kick in the pants. :D

M-14? Or are you talking about the rare fully automatic M1 Garand?

They also have full auto 1911s :)

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
M-14? Or are you talking about the rare fully automatic M1 Garand?
They also have full auto 1911s

Alright this I have GOT to see...

Does anyone have any links to these weapons?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Lock and Load originates from the days of the musket. You locked the striker (flint) back and loaded the flash pan. At least, that's what I've heard.
I *think* you're thinking of the term: "lock, stock, and barrel" --- as that originates from --- that era.

Here's what I've always got:

ACTUALLY .... The "Lock & Load" phrase that we "know" today originally referred to the operation of the M1 Garand Rifle, with the phrase originally being reversed, i.e., "Load and Lock"; see Gach's 1941-42 "In the Army Now". The phrase refered to the act of inserting an en-bloc clip (yes, CLIP is correct here:)) of 8 x 30.06 rounds into the rifle, i.e., loading the clip into the receiver and locking (releasing) the bolt forward, an action which forced a round into the chamber.

SAFETY ON ..... ;)

Of course, Hollywood b@stardized it when John Wayne shouted "lock and load !!" in the 1949 "Sands of Iwo Jima" as was pointed out previously in another post. And if Hollywood has a chance to "b@stardize" something regarding firearms ... well ... they ususally pick up on the opportunity, yes??? :)

Its meaning has now taken on a more general reference to the preparation for any imminent event. It's probably most currently "known" from 1996 when the idiot-cum-commentator/wanna-be-politician Pat Buchanan used the phrase (incorrectly -- :) --- what else?) in his 1996 Republican primary run. Note: I used to like Pat and considered him a relevant viewpoint -- now I consider him only a loud noise ..... keeps me from .... :sleep_125

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
A4sForever said:
[/I]The phrase refered to the act of inserting an en-bloc clip (yes, CLIP is correct here:)) of 8 x 30.06 rounds into the rifle, i.e., loading the clip into the receiver and locking (releasing) the bolt forward

Isn't this what I said earlier?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
FLYMARINES said:
Isn't this what I said earlier?
I don't know ... I have no dog in that fight. I think you could have worded #3 a little better, if that's what you mean. :)

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
FMRAM said:
Alright this I have GOT to see...

Does anyone have any links to these weapons?

Star, a brazilian firm, made a few full auto 1911's; there's a few underground Filipino gunsmiths that made mods too. This was in the 30's, Small Arms Review had two cool articles about a year ago.

FMRAM

Funny...I own a Star subcompact 1911, but I never really new much about the company.

Seems like it would be pretty hard to control... 45's have pretty decent recoil.

MasterBates

45ACP? Quite reasonable recoil unless you have a light CCW version.

Would rather empty 3 mags quick than the same number of 357 mag.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
FMRAM said:
Funny...I own a Star subcompact 1911, but I never really new much about the company.

Seems like it would be pretty hard to control... 45's have pretty decent recoil.

I'm about 90% sure it's Star, and 90% sure it's a brazilian company that made them.....so 81% sure that Star's Brazilian

Here's the TOC from the article: My back issues are with my parents but there's a nice pic in the link.
http://www.smallarmsreview.com/images/Vol4No11index.jpg

And yea, it was recoil that relegated them to curio usage....much like every other machine pistol out there. Full auto out of a 5" barrel is not very useful, regardless of caliber.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
STAR pistols = the whole family of the "STAR" pistol was (and stil is) manufactured by the Spain-based company Bonifacio Echeverria, SA. :)

I assume we're talkin' the same family of pistols.

FMRAM

MasterBates said:
45ACP? Quite reasonable recoil unless you have a light CCW version.

Would rather empty 3 mags quick than the same number of 357 mag.

Yes, but we are talking about full auto here...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
mmx1 said:
Star, a brazilian firm, made a few full auto 1911's; there's a few underground Filipino gunsmiths that made mods too. This was in the 30's, Small Arms Review had two cool articles about a year ago.

The full auto 1911s I was referring to were developed by Uncle Sam. They were soon realized to be a bad idea.