• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lock & Load???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
LOCK & LOAD .... ??
or
LOAD & LOCK ... ??

Which is it ... ??? :) Just curious to see what you guys think and why ...

P.S. ... I know the answer. :eek:

Hint .... Think:

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
For this one, it would be lock (the bolt open) then load the clip(on edit, I should have added this: "into the weapon"...thanks TheBubba) .

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
For the M1 I thought it was: 1. Fire all eight rounds 2. Load clip 3. Pull back bolt. So ...... Load and Lock.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FLYMARINES said:
For the M1 I thought it was: 1. Fire all eight rounds 2. Load clip 3. Pull back bolt. So ...... Load and Lock.

Ya... it's actually nothing like that. I take it you've never held or fired an M1?

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
squeeze said:
Ya... it's actually nothing like that. I take it you've never held or fired an M1?

Nope, sure haven't. Saw someone fire one on the history channel and thought I'd give the question a shot. Thought that was the procedure.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FLYMARINES said:
Also, I'd love the chance to fire an M1, so if you wanna buy me one. :D

No, but I have one that will likely be on the market shortly. I need to sell a SA to get an IHC so I can have a complete set.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
FLYMARINES said:
Nope, sure haven't. Saw someone fire one on the history channel and thought I'd give the question a shot. Thought that was the procedure.

The M1 is loaded from above, so the bolt has to be locked to the rear, and the clip pushed into the magazine, through the chamber. The clip seating will unlock the bolt, so then you fling your thumb out before the bolt slams home or you get "Garand thumb".

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
John Wayne 3 times immortalized the term, "lock and load" in the movie, the "Sands of Iwo Jima."

Here is some dialogue:

- Sarge, I'm scared. - So am I.
- Not you! - Fowler, I'm always scared.
Line of departure! Get down!
Lock and load! Drop those lifebelts when we hit the beach!
All right, hit the beach!
It ain't Brooklyn!
If this place was a blanket I'd pull it over my head!
This is the poorest soil I ever saw. What does anyone want an island like this for?
- That's war. - What's war?
Trading real estate for men.
When God made the world, he must have put all the rubbish left over here.
Corpsman! Corpsman! Take it easy.
Doggone it, almost the same place they got me before!
Getting shot for this!
They're sure pouring it into Suribachi.
Not enough. Those Nips are shooting right down our throats.

And here is a real, official Navy photo of Marines landing on Iwo Jima . . . "locked and loaded," and with my utmost respect, gratitude, and awe!:
iwojima0gs.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lock and Load originates from the days of the musket. You locked the striker (flint) back and loaded the flash pan.

At least, that's what I've heard.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any of you fired an auto M1? Now that's a kick in the pants. :D

xmid

pilot
Contributor
As in an M-1 carbine or an M-14?

And that would be a yes and yes...