• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Living on a Sailboat

navy_or_bust

I always thought it would be cool to live on a sailboat and was wondering if this is possible in the Navy. I found one threat that discussed it a little, but how feasible would it be? I am hoping to be an NFO and was wondering if you play your cards right can you stay on the coast, or are there also lots of inland Naval bases. It would be awesome to just sail to your next base when it came up. Anyone know people who do this or have any information that would you useful?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always thought it would be cool to live on a sailboat and was wondering if this is possible in the Navy. I found one threat that discussed it a little, but how feasible would it be? I am hoping to be an NFO and was wondering if you play your cards right can you stay on the coast, or are there also lots of inland Naval bases. It would be awesome to just sail to your next base when it came up. Anyone know people who do this or have any information that would you useful?

Living on a boat is great if you like camping every day of your life, having no material posessions, and worrying if your house is going to sink every time a storm blows through.

Brett

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I work for the MWR marina in Norfolk. Neither we, nor the marina at Little Creek allow live-aboards. Also, good luck finding a slip for such a large boat.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Owned and lived aboard a 32' sail in Ala Wai Harbor (Honolulu) for 3 years. No cold weather to worry about, storms were few and far between. City/County provided public showers and toilets in a very nice facility; water, telephone and electricity to each slip. Neighbor was John Shoup, grandson of former CMC, in a 45' Tri named "Vavella". He sailed it with an all female crew (5) through the canal to Miami. The other neighbor was an Iriish chap on an around the world cruise in a 44'. He broke the mainmast off the coast of Oahu and simply stayed in Hawaii. Most everyone in he harbor lived aboard, including John Ford in his huge 300'+ Yacht, of course he had his own showers etc.

Motor out to PH1, set sails and live the good life. Ahh the memories.

It was a blast, Enjoyed it all but would not do it again.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Had a buddy that did it for two years... lived on a 1981 Hunter25. Said it was the worst decision he'd ever made. But then, he's also a submariner, so that tell you a little about him right there.

I'd seriously think about not doing that. And if you can afford to spend 290K like that, I'd reccommend dropping it on a house in P-cola if you get picked up for NFO. Al least then you'd have something that could appreciate.

That and I can tell you that even if you sail monohull, sailing a cat is a completely different beast. And maintaining a boat... expensive.

BTW:

boat (n): 1. A hole in the water into which you throw money.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor

Think he was kidding about the $289,000, at least hope so. Yep, that one would be expensive to maintain. Something my reasonable like a 32' said, I did all my own work including hauling it out on a marine railway to scrape and paint the bottom, so all in all there was little expense of ownership. Of course if you are paying someone else to do your work, it could cost $$$.

But back to the $289,000 stinkpot, if you have to ask, you cannot afford it.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
There was an article in All Hands a few years back about a 1st class who was living on a boat while stationed at Roosevelt Roads. I'll see if I can find it online somewhere.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Had a buddy that did it for two years... lived on a 1981 Hunter25. Said it was the worst decision he'd ever made. But then, he's also a submariner, so that tell you a little about him right there.

I'd seriously think about not doing that. And if you can afford to spend 290K like that, I'd reccommend dropping it on a house in P-cola if you get picked up for NFO. Al least then you'd have something that could appreciate.

That and I can tell you that even if you sail monohull, sailing a cat is a completely different beast. And maintaining a boat... expensive.

BTW:

boat (n): 1. A hole in the water into which you throw money.

This is the key phrase. Also, you're not going to be able to secure a 300K loan for a boat like you might for a mortgage.

Brett

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
All DoD marinas in the DC area have substantial waiting lists. Curiously enough, none of them belong to the Navy.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
One of the other IP's at the RAG (San Diego) with FSSF lives on his sailboat. He sold his condo and moved to the boat and seems to be enjoying it, though I don't know how long he plans on staying. I imagine it isn't a life plan.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's an old addage: Don't buy anything that Floats, Flies of F**Ks.
(in other words: If it flies, floats or f**ks, you are better off renting it)

-ea6bflyr ;)

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
check out sailorbob.com. one of those crazy SWOs was living on one in san dog. had a friend who lived on one in the bay area...it only works if you are single, have no stuff and don't mind living in a cramped little space.