• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

living in tbs

trevor jones

While in TBS do you live in dorms? And if so do you share rooms or do you get your own. I only ask because I'm currently in the Air Force applying for OCC 194. While I went through Air Force tech school we shared dorm rooms with three other roomates. It was crammed like a ******* with not much room for studying or personal space.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
If you're coming from the air force, you're likely to be in for a real shock in terms of creature comforts in the barracks. It's been a long time since I was in O'Bannon Hall (TBS lieutenant quarters), but I doubt it changed too much.

Four guys to a room, with typically 1 "brown bagger" who is married and lives elsewhere. Metal bunk beds with mattresses. A common head/shower in your room. Another room the same size as your common bedroom that has desks and such. We put our tv there.

I'm sure somebody who has been there this decade can tell you more. I know it's been remodeled since I was there. Don't worry though. It's fine. It'll feel like the Hilton after being in the feild.

Marine4life

Well, if you happen to live in Graves Hall, you'll find every insect known to man at some point in your BOQ. Not to mention arachnids, and even snakes.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Like Harrier Dude said. Things are essentially unchanged at good ol' O'Bannon Hall. The space isn't much, but you'll find that you only use the room for sleeping/waiting. On weekends there is the TBS Exodus, with everyone heading for DC or other exotic locales. Its really not too bad, and the 6 months goes by pretty quick. Then again, if you're used to AF living, you could be in for a rough time.

Whalebite

TBS based on the above descriptions has not changed (unless in the last year) we had rooms condemned by the CO for some nasty black mold, including mine. They got cleaned up, while we were on fex, and we moved back in. There is currently a plan (probably a longstanding plan) headed by the CO of my company to compleately renovate camp barrett. They cleared a parking lot for a new armory when I left, and plan to replace all of the buildings, including the much needed classrooms. That having been said, if your going anytime soon, your probably going to have to deal with the same facilities that you have read above.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Yes, the new armory is getting close to completion and looks pretty sharp. The've begun construction of the new enlisted barracks, as well as some structure in LZ-6 next to the F-18. Nobody can figure out what it is, but its coming up fast. On the CO's quarterdeck, there is a model of the Camp Barrett of the future. Like many Marine ventures, its coming to fruition is questionable and/or doubtful. That aside, its damn cool. Just don't expect any drastic changes anytime soon...
--- Right before I left, the walls in were starting to seperate, leaving nice little holes in rooms. Possibly an attempt to improve air circulation?

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
trevorreese, I went through tech school in the Air Force at Sheppard AFB, and the living conditions here at TBS are actually better, believe it or not. I remember being crammed in one little room with no head with 2 or 3 other Airmen. At TBS, the BOQ is just as old and nasty as the Sheppard barracks, but you have two rooms joined by a head. You put all the racks and dressers in one room for a sleep side, and all your desks in the other side for a study side. So, what it comes down to basically is two lieutenants per room. It is actually a little roomier than the living conditions at tech school, but the cockroaches are the same size. Good luck getting into 194.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
So I guess the lesson here is that living conditions for a Marine O-1 are the same as for an air force E-1. The only surprise is that the E-1 isn't way ahead of the game.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Harrier Dude said:
So I guess the lesson here is that living conditions for a Marine O-1 are the same as for an air force E-1. The only surprise is that the E-1 isn't way ahead of the game.
That pretty much sums up everything... well put.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
And if you have tricks for removing black mold, bring those with you to TBS. While living there I was tasked to remove the black mold from my room and report back how it went. The surgeon general would probably be terrified if he knew about THAT little order we were issued, but that is another story. Just somethign to be aware of.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
SemperGumbi said:
And if you have tricks for removing black mold, bring those with you to TBS. While living there I was tasked to remove the black mold from my room and report back how it went. The surgeon general would probably be terrified if he knew about THAT little order we were issued, but that is another story. Just somethign to be aware of.

Well..... I just lost my appetite.

So that's what my OSO meant when he said it was "just like college". Reminds me of the one night a year I spend in the PSU dorms....staring at the waffle ceilings.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Lonestar said:
How far are you allowed to travel away from TBS during a weekend? Say......Texas?

300 miles. Anything farther than that requires approval from the Company Commander.

hisairness

The BOQ is on a constant nose dive!!! You will most definitely be four to a room if your in O'Bannon Hall. Two in a room if your in Graves. Graves is alittle better than O'Bannon, but both halls equate to New York City projects living conditions. Keep your room extremely clean or the stuff growing on the walls will begin to grow on you! The BOQ's are made to just keep you out the elements during TBS not for your comfort. At TBS your one thing a student officer. Its the place you really earn your butter bars!