• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Living in Pensacola, FL

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I'm with you. I loved my time in Pensacola. We want to open our restaurant in Pensacola... I personally think Pensacola is awesome!

Slight threadjack . . .What kind of restaurant are you guys considering opening?

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Compare Milton to Corpus. SPID = super easy, you could always do 80 up until X-town Expressway and the cops wouldn't even blink. Getting to and from work from the Island was pie and you could get to Brewster St., the Hooks, or any other downtown attraction very easily.

Now from Milton to Pensacola (because, let's be honest, there is NOTHING in Milton) - it's a 40-50 minute drive where you have to go down a construction laden Avalon, not to mention occasional traffic on 90 just to get there, and it's pretty slow on both roads. SPID could not have been easier. If you had a hard time getting on or off SPID it's because you either suck at driving or get overly nervous merging.

I am not sure what to say to you/about you, but here is my experience. It would take me 30-40 mins to get to downtown/NASP and I lived 5 mins from NASWF on 87. Do you not know how to drive or simply pick the wrong roads. I rarely drove on Avalon and 90 was not too bad if I was going to the northern Pensacola area. I-10 is usually prety empty and during traffic I-110 was a lot better than SPID. Again I am not sure where you get your data, but I would take me about 30 to 50 mins to get downtown corpus from the Island, sometimes even more.

phrogpilot73

Slight threadjack . . .What kind of restaurant are you guys considering opening?
General concept is brew pub on South Palofox, elevated southern cuisine. Aviation themed... We even have a logo...

Logo.gif

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I am not sure what to say to you/about you, but here is my experience. It would take me 30-40 mins to get to downtown/NASP and I lived 5 mins from NASWF on 87. Do you not know how to drive or simply pick the wrong roads. I rarely drove on Avalon and 90 was not too bad if I was going to the northern Pensacola area. I-10 is usually prety empty and during traffic I-110 was a lot better than SPID. Again I am not sure where you get your data, but I would take me about 30 to 50 mins to get downtown corpus from the Island, sometimes even more.

Different times yield different commutes. When I first moved to Pace, 90 was always slammed because I-10 was essentially closed (one lane each way) at the bridge while they rebuilt it. Onec -10 opened back up, 90 got better, but it was still worse than when I was a stud. Taking every back road possible, it still would take me 25-30 minutes to get from Pace (Chumuckla and 90) to Whiting as an IP. As a stud 7 years earlier, it took me the same amount of time to get from UWF to Whiting.

The whole area grew, which is a good thing overall. I'm just still bitter that Publix didn't open up until my last week there in '08.

batteryguy4

Pro-rec SNA
Hey everyone, I'm in a similar position: finishing up OCS soon and was wondering how housing works when you get down to Pensacola (I'm single). I've heard that sometimes you are required to live on base, and then elsewhere I've heard that there is never room in the BOQ. Could someone who's been through it explain to me how things work when you initially get down there. Also, any advice on where to live (if we can choose) for API and/or primary? Thanks.

croakerfish

pilot
Hey everyone, I'm in a similar position: finishing up OCS soon and was wondering how housing works when you get down to Pensacola (I'm single). I've heard that sometimes you are required to live on base, and then elsewhere I've heard that there is never room in the BOQ. Could someone who's been through it explain to me how things work when you initially get down there. Also, any advice on where to live (if we can choose) for API and/or primary? Thanks.

No one from my class (07) is in the BOQ, in fact I don't know anyone from OCS who is staying in the BOQ at NAS Pensacola.
All our single guys called Base Housing once we got our orders, and were told to go ahead and sign a lease whenever. One of the things you'll do when you check in is get a form stamped saying that you are willing to accept BAH in lieu of a room at the BOQ. I decided to split the difference between NASP and Whiting and got a place next to UWF on Hwy 90. I'm doing IFS in Milton and it takes me right on 30 minutes to get there. It'll be a little longer for Primary, but still not bad by my standards.