• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Living in Pensacola, FL

R

russellf54

I will be finishing OCS very soon and then moving to Pensacola. I am married and have two children that will be coming along... I will probably be sent to Milton after p'cola from what I hear SO where is a great place to live so that I will not have to move more than once? I have looked on ahrn.com and some other sites but I would rather advice from people who know the area. Thanks.

Russell

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Here's a good site to look at: http://www.militarybyowner.com/
They have houses/condos/apartments for sale and for rent.

If you are a pilot then I would recommend something closer to Whiting than closer to P'cola. You'll spend 2-3 months at P'cola and possibly 18 months at Whiting.
Good luck

Joe Smith

Here's a good site to look at: http://www.militarybyowner.com/
They have houses/condos/apartments for sale and for rent.

If you are a pilot then I would recommend something closer to Whiting than closer to P'cola. You'll spend 2-3 months at P'cola and possibly 18 months at Whiting.
Good luck

If you are single I would be money you are going to Corpus Christi. That has been the trend in the last 10-12 months.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I am married and have two children that will be coming along...
If you are single I would be money you are going to Corpus Christi. That has been the trend in the last 10-12 months.

I've never been known for my great headwork. . .but yeah.

What helohumpy said. I'm at Whiting with my wife and kid right now. If you want something easy, base housing isn't a terrible option. It's only about 5 miles south of base, and many of the houses are newly remodeled. There are a ton of options in the Milton area. Personally, I wouldn't look any further than Pace. Being able to be at the base in 15 minutes or less is a big perk, especially when you're lucky enough to have a 0530 brief, or a late night flight. Best of luck to you with OCS and the rest of your training, if you have any more specific questions about housing or moving . . .etc, feel free to ask here or shoot me a PM.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Definitely agree with being closer to Whiting than Pensacola. The furthest from Whiting I'd recommend is North Pcola, near Governor's Gate, 9 Mile, northern part of Scenic, etc...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
There's two schools of thought. One, live in Milton and suck up the shittyness that it is for flight school. Two, live in North PCola and drive ~35 to work each day. If you're married with kids, I'd guess you're not getting out much anyway. Probably live in Milton. Single dudes I'd still say live in North PCola. You can only do so many $50 cab rides.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Right next to base housing and much cheaper (and nicer I say) is Collins Mill Creek. Very pleasant management and lots of NAS Whiting folks live here. Bit of a drive to Pensacola, but well worth it once you get to Whiting. PM me for more details if you want. http://www.collinsmillcreekapartments.com/

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
DanMa - Do you know if pets are allowed?
Yes, I believe they are for a small addition to the monthly rent. Let me know if you guys have any questions through PM and I can give my phone number if you'd like and we can talk. So far, I like it quite a bit here, especially compared to the rest of Milton.

R

russellf54

Thanks for all the advice. Would it be a good idea to just move to Pace (so I'm closer to Whiting) from the start? About how long does it take to get to Pensacola from there?

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
From the East side of pace, it takes about 35 minutes to get to NASP. From the West side, near the HWY 90 bridge, it'll take you about the same amount of time, since it'll take you a little longer to get to the interstate.

Really, it's not a bad commute, and I'm sure some of the other guys on here would love to have a commute that short. If you live in the Pace area, it's about a 10-15 minute drive up to the base. So, not too bad.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Whatever you do, I would recommend avoiding including Avalon Blvd into your commute every day as there is quite a bit of construction going on there until Summer or Winter of 2013. Avalon is seriously the biggest reason why I hate the drive to Pensacola to go out on the weekends.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Whatever you do, I would recommend avoiding including Avalon Blvd into your commute every day as there is quite a bit of construction going on there until Summer or Winter of 2013. Avalon is seriously the biggest reason why I hate the drive to Pensacola to go out on the weekends.

I drove it every day for two and a half months. . .it's not that bad.