• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
"Prior Permission Required?" Really, NASA? No shit, Sherlock. :p

Why do I get the impression that this was probably like the CV-1 approach? Yeah, there's a "plate" for it, but by the time you actually have to shoot it, you basically know it by heart.
Probably PPR for the practice approaches in the gulfstream...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's a Fairey Gannet. It went into production for the Fleet Air Arm. If you want to see some weird, find a picture of it folded up.
Yeah, back in '61 when I was in VA-55 on USS TICONDEROGA, we participated in "cross-deck" flight ops with HMS VICTORIOUS in the So. China Sea. We ran Skyhawks and Demons through their deck, and they ran Gannets and Scimitars through ours for 2 days. What a show!:eek:

Gannet & Scimitar photos below.;)
Gannett 1.jpg Gannett 2.jpg scimitarfiring.jpg
BzB

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just goes to show recce 101: if it's ugly, it's British. If it's weird, it's French. If it's ugly AND weird, it's Russian. :D

Edit:
Wikipedia said:
After considering and discounting the Rolls-Royce Tweed turboprop, Fairey selected an engine based on the Armstrong Siddeley Mamba: the Double Mamba (or "Twin Mamba"), basically two Mambas mounted side-by-side and coupled through a common gearbox to coaxial contra-rotating propellers. Power was transmitted from each engine by a torsion shaft which was engaged through a series of sun, planet, epicyclic and spur gears to give a suitable reduction ratio and correct propeller-shaft rotation.
Good grief; the mechs had to have just loved that thing.

Last edited:

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We ran Skyhawks and Demons through their deck, and they ran Gannets and Scimitars through ours for 2 days. What a show!:eek:
I recall vividly... the Demon & Scimitar looked remarkably alike, bulky and UGLY!:p
BzB

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
1.jpeg

Alexander Lippisch's Aerodyne, a wingless experimental aircraft. The propulsion was generated by two co-axial shrouded propellers (1968).

2.jpeg

Blohm & Voss BV 141, a World War II German tactical reconnaissance aircraft, notable for its uncommon structural asymmetry.

3.jpeg

Hyper III, a full scale lifting body remotely piloted vehicle, built at the NASA Flight Research Center in 1969.

4.jpeg

De Lackner HZ-1 Aerocycle flying platform, designed to carry one soldier to reconnaissance missions (1954).

5.jpeg

Libellula, a tandem-winged and twin-engined British experimental plane which gives the pilot an excellent view for landing on aircraft carriers (1945).

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Another odd aircraft. This one I saw in storage at Ft. Rucker a few years ago.

Attachments

• XH-51A.jpg
    XH-51A.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 74