• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

Pags

N/A
pilot
How about the Thunderscreech... so loud it made ground crew sick.

800px-Republic_XF-84H_in_flight.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thunderscreech? Thunderceptor. Hybrid jet/rocket, less than 0.5 endurance, weird as shit wings to improve the stalling characteristics.
1920px-XF91-21republic.jpg

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Im glad someone mentioned the XB-70, I always really liked that one and it would be impressive to see it in person. Here's my entry into the foray: Grumman X-29. Awesome looking aircraft with some really good performance, too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 36

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
One more, it was shown in an early pic but not mentioned, the X-31. Another thrust vectoring test bed, this one was designed to focus on high alpha handling.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 41

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Im glad someone mentioned the XB-70, I always really liked that one and it would be impressive to see it in person. Here's my entry into the foray: Grumman X-29. Awesome looking aircraft with some really good performance, too.

Basically an F-20 with the wings the wrong way!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Under the little known category: The USAF C-146 Wolfhound. Operated by Special Operations Squadrons for "flexible, responsive and operational movement of small teams needed in support of theater Special Operations Commands". The USAF fact page has no photos of the aircraft, but does for every other plane they operated. Usually in civ livery, this is the only one I could find.c-146.jpg
The U-28 is another special mission aircraft. U-28A.jpg

Not spooky but fairly unusual. The C-26. c-26.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Northrop YF-17, the precursor to the F-18.
They have one of the prototypes at the USS Alabama museum in Mobile. There's just something weird about seeing a Hornetesque airframe with the big trailing-link mains and drag link, launch bar nose replaced by something scrawny and Air Force-ish.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I never paid much attention to landing gear until I flew the T-38 and then flew the F-18. The Hornet's gear is so much bigger and stout than the T-38.