• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Good article from Air & Space on the Corsair.

How the Navy Tamed the “Killer Corsair”
A little piece of aluminum solved the WW2 fighter’s vicious behavior problem.

View attachment 30859
As many as 35 Corsairs still fly today, and 11 of them made it to the 2019 Thunder Over Michigan warbird show. Getting them all in one shot took the considerable talents of photographer Scott Slocum and photo ship pilot Bernie Vasquez. The Corsair legend is that it was too mean for the Navy so they gave it to the Marines. Here's the real story.

View attachment 30861
In 1951, Navy Carrier Air Group 2 embarked with a deckload of Corsairs on the USS Philippine Sea. Like some of its pilots, the Corsair earned fame in World War II and, seasoned, fought again in Korea

View attachment 30863
Outboard of the gun ports on the Corsair’s right wing, a little scrap of metal, carefully shaped and faired, spoiled lift just enough to make the wings stall simultaneously and make the Corsair less obstreperous.
That's a deck load of Air Support right there!

jmcquate

Contributor
Good article from Air & Space on the Corsair.

How the Navy Tamed the “Killer Corsair”
A little piece of aluminum solved the WW2 fighter’s vicious behavior problem.

View attachment 30859
As many as 35 Corsairs still fly today, and 11 of them made it to the 2019 Thunder Over Michigan warbird show. Getting them all in one shot took the considerable talents of photographer Scott Slocum and photo ship pilot Bernie Vasquez. The Corsair legend is that it was too mean for the Navy so they gave it to the Marines. Here's the real story.

View attachment 30861
In 1951, Navy Carrier Air Group 2 embarked with a deckload of Corsairs on the USS Philippine Sea. Like some of its pilots, the Corsair earned fame in World War II and, seasoned, fought again in Korea

View attachment 30863
Outboard of the gun ports on the Corsair’s right wing, a little scrap of metal, carefully shaped and faired, spoiled lift just enough to make the wings stall simultaneously and make the Corsair less obstreperous.
I wonder what the burble was like on a straight deck.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I wonder what the burble was like on a straight deck.
I'd imagine generally less since the wind is straight down the deck and straight down the superstructure. But would probably depend a lot on whether you're steaming directly into the true wind or you're making your own relative wind with a starboard true wind component.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'd imagine generally less since the wind is straight down the deck and straight down the superstructure. But would probably depend a lot on whether you're steaming directly into the true wind or you're making your own relative wind with a starboard true wind component.

I'm positive the boat donkeys still figured out a way to f*** it up for everyone

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
"Hey, look over there, it's a storm cloud!"
"Let's drive straight through it!"
"The true winds just changed by about 90 degrees and 20 knots, but I think they'll change back."

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Yesterday was the thin piece of metal dramatically improving the Corsair’s stall characteristics, today the aerodynamic trick that contributed significantly to the Mustang’s speed.

The P51 Mustang – “I Can Build You A Faster Aircraft Than The Spitfire XIX” – Lee Attwood.

At high speeds, the behavior of the P-51 Mustang’s cooling duct (A) is analogous to that of a turbojet engine (B). Air enters the inlet below the fuselage, slows and is compressed by ram pressure. After passing through the radiator, the heated air emerges at high velocity through an adjustable outlet. The resulting thrust helps offset the resistance of the duct and radiator, reducing the cooling drag to approximately 3 percent of total drag versus the 6 to 10 percent normally expected.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
At high speeds, the behavior of the P-51 Mustang’s cooling duct (A) is analogous to that of a turbojet* engine (B).
* ramjet (ackshually :D )

The P-38 did something very similar with its supercharger heat exchangers.

reducing the cooling drag to approximately 3 percent of total drag versus the 6 to 10 percent normally expected.
Putting it that was is one of the most meaningful summaries of it around. There's a bit of back and forth on whether the installation on the P-38 contributed thrust, but phrasing it this way—eliminating nearly all of the cooling drag—is a more accurate way of explaining the effect. It's really ingenious stuff too for the 1930s and 40s- the idea of using a column of hot air to propel an airplane by doing "suck, squeeze, bang, blow" on that air was something not everybody in aviation conceptualized, let alone understood.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I wanna say that B-17s and B-24s had the same superchargers.

Speaking of B-24’s, have been doing some family historical research. Had some relatives with the 90th Bomb Group which was Pacific based (the Liberators had greater range than the B-17’s). Found out the unit has a webpage and thought some might want to see the vintage photos.

Some nice full plane photos.

Some interesting nose and tail art.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Speaking of B-24’s, have been doing some family historical research. Had some relatives with the 90th Bomb Group which was Pacific based (the Liberators had greater range than the B-17’s). Found out the unit has a webpage and thought some might want to see the vintage photos.

View attachment 31166

View attachment 31167

View attachment 31168

Some nice full plane photos.

Some interesting nose and tail art.

It’s cool that people maintain these sites. This one documents Allied and German aircraft that went down in Denmark.

2ndLt Gill in that link is my grandfather

Also crazy to think about what could have been. Six B-17’s went down in Denmark that day. One landed and all were captured, one crashed and half were killed and the rest captured, three went down with all crew, and my grandfather’s with all crew surviving and four evading.

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
My late brother's father in law worked on B-24's in the Pacific. I spent the better part of a family bbq trading stories with him after I came home from Oki in '88. He had a good laugh at me when i was describing our dated vacuum tube gear ( ADF, HF, Celestial Navigation etc) "That's the same crap we where using kid, I hope hope your navigators where worth a damn!"