• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Likelihood of being selected to go P3?

SlickAg

pilot
Your TMS NATOPS requires a radio check before engine starts?

Brett

It seemed kind of weird during CPTs, but we did the same thing at the RAG and we do the same thing in the fleet. When I was at the RAG and an FNG, I never questioned it to avoid rocking the boat. Ultimately, my curiosity got the better of me because I'm a fan of knowing why we do things, so I went hunting for the answer.

It's really not that big of a deal; it takes about 5 seconds, and if you have a problem during the starts, your radio's already tuned to the people who can get the fire trucks rolling. If anyone had that much heartburn about it, I think they'd be polluting the model managers' inboxes daily with change recommendations.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It seemed kind of weird during CPTs, but we did the same thing at the RAG and we do the same thing in the fleet. When I was at the RAG and an FNG, I never questioned it to avoid rocking the boat. Ultimately, my curiosity got the better of me because I'm a fan of knowing why we do things, so I went hunting for the answer.

It's really not that big of a deal; it takes about 5 seconds, and if you have a problem during the starts, your radio's already tuned to the people who can get the fire trucks rolling. If anyone had that much heartburn about it, I think they'd be polluting the model managers' inboxes daily with change recommendations.
I hear ya. It's just another example of how different TMS sometimes have very different procedures to accomplish essentially the same thing - getting an aircraft started. What some communities mandate, others just do because it makes sense in the flow of things, or perhaps feel that it's not necessary. When I start up, I tune to ground, but I don't do a check with them and would only do so with another aircraft for section flights. If the radio is broken, I have two others. If I'm NORDO, knowing that 2 minutes before I catch on fire vs when I catch on fire is really a moot point. The radio wouldn't be fixed in that amount of time anyway. I'm usually calling clearance within the first two minutes, so I'd probably know my radio is good before engine starts.

Anyhow, that's my logic for not doing superfluous radio checks. Can anyone imagine the gigantic cluster fuck at an ATP event at Fallon if every aircraft did a radio check with ground? So, when people say that it doesn't really hurt anything - if everyone did it, it would hurt a lot.
Brett

MasterBates

Generally, in an E-2, the copilot is getting clearance before you start, and clearance is the same guy as ground.

It's the E-2 way. (self induced ass kicking)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hell yes it is. Not sure how the other 4-engine bubbas do it, but every couple of flight hours across the country, there is a J-model base somewhere where we could potentially get support. If I find myself in a 3-engine situation and my wing is not on fire, i'm going to these locations: 1. home 2. USMC J-model base 3. USAF or USCG J-model base.

Even with three engines, once I get all procedures completed and she is all trimmed up, I am allowed to turn on the autopilot and fly however long I need to.

Now if it turned into a 2-engine scenario...
We handle it similarly, as usual, an oversimplification regarding training. We have upgraders that we are making into aircraft commanders, as with any platform, we provide training on a variety of engine malfunctions at various regimes of flight so that they can build an experience base on how to handle it in real life. We include hazrep discussion of recent and historical community engine out discussions, etc. You have two extremes, the stud that takes forever to go through the emergency checklist items and can't make a decision on how to handle the malfunctions and falls behind the aircraft (really, another lap at pattern altitude?). Or the one that rushes to land immediately, and hasn't prepared for the approach or landing, creating an unsafe situation (have had studs that never briefed the approach, forgot the gear, etc). Both have good teaching points. These are all generally 3Ps upgrading to 2Ps and part of the P3QS syllabus. As you get to the soon to be PPCs, they are all knocking the scenario out of the park, and by this point in training are running the flight station and handling the plane accordingly.

BTW, I call for the option. I dial up both UHF/VHF tower freqs while in the pattern. And I too wonder what percentage get P8 (btw, I won't be getting P8 unless it is the southwest variety).

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Not to be confused with the 20 minute long comm check that occurs when a P-3 turns over to another P-3 on-station.

I gained contact on a sub but couldn't report it since we were being 'comm jammed' by two P-3's!

Thats not a 20 minute comm check, its called ASW turnover.