• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life with a Marine Officer?

Rothman

pilot
I'm a Marine in Kingsville (jets) and my fiance is an teacher. She stayed back home while I was at TBS, then moved with me to Pensacola (she was my girlfriend at the time). We were there for just over a year, which included a full school year. She was able to to get a Florida teaching certificate with very little trouble, and was hired in Escambia County the same day she applied. (Side note: Florida schools are not great and Escambia County has some of the worst, although there are some very good schools, too). She has not been able to get a teaching certificate yet in Texas (after a month), or even heard back from them. We hear that is typical. She is planning our wedding, which I hope will keep her occupied, and hopefully she will be able to sub later on in the year. It sucks but the chaotic life of a SNA doesn't leave a lot of built in consideration for spouses and thier careers. My advice is to let her decide if she would rather teach and see you on federal holidays or follow you with the possibility of not getting to pursue her career for a couple of years. Most importantly, whatever you both decide, you both need to make it work. Good luck and PM me if you need anything esle

JMMH

Ugh.
One of my Marine Wife friends is a teacher. A 'die hard' teacher if I ever saw one. She too stayed in her home state while her Marine was at TBS then moved to Pensacola. She teaches here and it's not a problem being from and licensed in SC, and now teaching in FL.

As for being an established teacher- she's getting published in a teaching journal!

PM me if you want.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Kind of beating it to death, but teaching is a great occupation for a military wife. There is almost always a demand for it. The big issue from what I have seen is really all about timing. My wife works in the school district as an Occupational Therapist, but we have many friends in your situation. I say timing because when in the school calendar you show up in the area can directly impact available positions. End of Winter, end of Spring, and end of Summer seem to be when the permanent positions are available. Other than that there is a good chance at subbing until the next big hiring cycle.
Also, as your wife may or may not know, just checking the school districts' webpage will show you what they are looking for and it is always possible to get hired a month or two prior to arriving since the district can just fill the spot with a sub until their new hire arrives. Not talking out of my ass here, I've seen that work.

Hope this helps.

devil_dog_wife

Proud wife and mama!
It's really important to prepare your girlfriend for all of the changes that will happen while you train. Her career will most likely be put on hold, or hard for her to keep up with it.. I am sure there will always be those opportunities for her to sub, or teach wherever you move. It's totally do-able for her, she just has to be willing to embrace change, and let your career come first..

Good Luck...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Tell your girlfriend to come here and join the Private Knives...er...Spouses...Group. She can then cackle with all the other wifes, finances and girl friends about their experiences.

(AW smilies in effect)

MasterBates

I'd put off the Enslavement (wedding) until you have a cruise under your belt.

At a minimum, see how she deals with you being gone @ OCS and Flight School.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
....words....

I'll agree. My wife has been a teacher for four years and the biggest issue is getting applications in on time (to be competitive), actually finding out when the school districts are hiring, and finding a position she wants. Being a elementary school teacher helps because she can teach anything from k-4. Permanent sub jobs are a good deal, but they can be hard to find since they usually depend on a teacher being out for a pregnancy, sickness, etc.

One word of advice, if she gets a permanent teaching job, have her think long and hard about finishing the whole year. Teaching jobs are real big on hiring with recommendations. We're going through that right now, I'll wing in January-ish but the school year here doesn't finish till May, so looks like I'll be flying solo for awhile at the RAG.

rwstelma

Everybody,

Thank you very much for all the replys. I am going to get her here to read this thread, I think it will help her a lot and settle the nerves a little. Thanks again for the support..

Randy

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I dont know if your wife knows this site but it has all the districts in the US.
http://www.edjoin.org
Most districts are now paperless so it cuts out a lot of the time searching district sites one by one.

Jen

Wife of a Growler stud
I second getting her to join the Private Spouses Club on Airwarriors. There are a lot of ladies that don't venture outside of there. There are a lot of ladies in there that could help with the teaching situation and give some good recommendations. I don't teach... I do have an accounting degree and I was very skeptical about finding a job when I first got here. I did find a job and I do work and my career is not being put on hold...at the moment. I am sure that there will be times when I will have to put my career on hold, but you just have to be willing to accept this and to accept the fact that sometimes the job you have right now may not be the best.. but at least you're bringing home a paycheck. She has to be willing to be flexible. Again.... have her join the PSC, I am sure lots of ladies in there can be of help!

DevilDog9782

RW,

Looks like you got some great advice and I don't really have much to offer. Only thing I can add is that I have known a bunch of Marines with teacher spouses/girlfriends and they all seem to be happy. In fact, seems to be the prevelant job for significant others from what I've seen so I have no doubt she will be able to find teaching jobs - hopefully something she enjoys. Feel free to shoot me a pm with any questions about TBS, API, primary/intermediate (NFO) - all still pretty fresh in my mind :)

Don't mean to threadjack, but was in the same shoes with my girlfriend going into speech pathology as a speech therapist - she's graduating soon and coming here to Pensacola looking to do her 1 year CFY - does anybody have any suggestions where to look?
Thanks in advance.

Jen

Wife of a Growler stud
Have her join the PSC... I know a girl here that is doing her certification right now in speech...something. Maybe I can hook the two of them up and she can help out with some info.

eliz33

i agree with joining the Private Spouses Forum.. i joined last year to help me learn about what it means to be a Marine aviator gf. My bf was just selected for OCS 196 with a flight contract.. so i know EXACTLY how she feels..(i started freaking out back then, now i can't be more excited and proud of my bf) she can get a good perspective and have a good environment to ask questions in the forum..

as said already, i think teaching will give her good options and opportunities to be with you and hold onto her career. (unlike my major of mechanical engineering)

feel free to PM me, and ask any questions! or have her email me!

best of luck for 196!