• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life with a Marine Officer?

rwstelma

Hey All,

I need to get as much input as I possibly can regarding my girlfriend's situation, but first a brief profile of myself. I am getting my package together and applying for an air contract for OCC-196 or possibly OCC-197. If that doesn't go well I will also consider going ground or possibly try Law. I am 28 and just got my Masters degree from BU. My ASTB scores are 53-7-8-8. My PFT score is around 235 right now, but I am working my a$$ off every day to get it up. I currently have a great job working for Sikorsky aircraft in CT, but am BORED as HELL... I hate corporate life. I have always dreamed of being a fighter pilot (I have 20/20 vision) and have always wanted to be a Marine. If I cannot fly I still want to be a Marine. It is in my heart and I am passionate as hell about it... We obviously are not married yet, but have talked about it and know it is what we want. Now onto HER situation.

She is entering her 2nd year as a teacher. She earned her Masters degree as well last year. She is also very passionate about teaching... She feels about teaching the same we die hard patriotic Marines and Marine Wannabe's feel. We bleed red, white and blue, she bleeds chalkboards, erasers and screaming 2nd graders... My point is that I don't want to ever take that away from her. If we are going to be together and she is going to be moving around with me as I pursue my dream I want her to be able to continue to fill hers. I am not 100% sure of what life is like from the very beginning of becoming a Marine Officer. I want to be able to tell her or at least give her a very good idea of what it will entail.

I have told her that there will be opportunities for her to teach on base. I have been told that, but also want to know how true it is. I also get the feeling we will be on the move so much that she won't be able to establish herself as a teacher. I hope this is not the case, or if it is the case, there is a work around. Maybe she can be transferred or something. As I said before I just don't want her to have to give up her life passion for me to persue mine. If need be maybe I won't go for pilot and go for something else that will allow her to do her thing. As long as I am a Marine, I'll be happy. Thanks in advance everyone...

Randy

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Teaching is one of those professions like nursing, dental or legal assistant, accounting, bartending (a few off top of my head) that are always in demand either on and around Naval and Marine bases and typically have turnover like their spouses. That siad, it doesn't mean she'll always have a job right off the bat as many businesses or schools like a longer term commitment (but legally can't ask if she's a military spouse nor discrimminate because of it, but doesn't mean it prevents that from happening). Initially, some of your training will necessitate moving sometimes in less than a year (ie TBS) so that's not ideal for her career, but nice thing about teaching is ability to get employment as a substitute. I even have an in-law that stayed as one because it gave her ability to work when she wanted to and as much as she wanted. Bottom line is she'll have to take a back seat during your initial training until you get operational and have a more predictable sea/shore rotation of longer assignments. If she's somewhat settled now, you may want to leave her there and be a geo-bach type until you get your wings. Just an option and not for everyone.

Trev82

pilot
Go to the search field and type in girlfriend, and its like the 6th one down or something, its a thread i created a while back. Look through it and you may find your answer

rwstelma

Go to the search field and type in girlfriend, and its like the 6th one down or something, its a thread i created a while back. Look through it and you may find your answer

Trevor,

I read through your post... Even though it was back in May I feel for you man. Relationships are hard as hell at times and can be the toughest things to get over. How are you doing now? Looking forward to OCC-196? I am hoping I can join you, but still waiting on a BUMED waiver and all. Thanks for your reply...

rwstelma

Heyjoe,

Thanks for your reply. I will be sure to mention the substituting. Maybe the best thing is a long term relationship until I get winged. I will definitely keep that in mind. It may suck, but might be the best thing for us. Thanks again.

Randy

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor

Go to the search field and type in "Divorce", "MasterBates", "Brett327", "Choker Whites and Dining Outs", etc.:icon_smil

I kid...

All my background is on the Navy side of the house rather than with the daughter service, but you're going to be very busy. Throw in deployments, moving every 3-4 years, and the stress of your job and its going to be tough.

While my dad was on active duty my mom was a teacher. She never worked on base but the local schools were always understanding about the inability to sign a long term contract. Your girlfriend won't have trouble finding work but she's going to have to be OK with moving to a new school several times during her career.

There's lots of people who've made it work.

rwstelma

Was it your intention to become a lifer?

I am going to leave that up to time I think. I would love to be in it for life, but I am not sure what kind of curveballs life will throw at me or us. To be a pilot is 10 years and if it ends up that I can only serve 10 years because of the wishes of the family I hope to have as well, I think I would walk and just take what will probably be the best 10 years of my life with me. At least I would have been able to do it and have those memories. I will always know I served my country proudly so I would probably be ok with that, if that is what my family wished...

Raptor2216

The way I see it is if your relationship is strong enough then nothing really matters...if you want it work bad enough then you will always find a way. I guess only you can know that though. When all else fails I just fall back on the fact that so many have come before you and made it so there is no reason why you can't do the same.

docholiday

Hey All,

I need to get as much input as I possibly can regarding my girlfriend's situation, but first a brief profile of myself. I am getting my package together and applying for an air contract for OCC-196 or possibly OCC-197. If that doesn't go well I will also consider going ground or possibly try Law. I am 28 and just got my Masters degree from BU. My ASTB scores are 53-7-8-8. My PFT score is around 235 right now, but I am working my a$$ off every day to get it up. I currently have a great job working for Sikorsky aircraft in CT, but am BORED as HELL... I hate corporate life. I have always dreamed of being a fighter pilot (I have 20/20 vision) and have always wanted to be a Marine. If I cannot fly I still want to be a Marine. It is in my heart and I am passionate as hell about it... We obviously are not married yet, but have talked about it and know it is what we want. Now onto HER situation.

She is entering her 2nd year as a teacher. She earned her Masters degree as well last year. She is also very passionate about teaching... She feels about teaching the same we die hard patriotic Marines and Marine Wannabe's feel. We bleed red, white and blue, she bleeds chalkboards, erasers and screaming 2nd graders... My point is that I don't want to ever take that away from her. If we are going to be together and she is going to be moving around with me as I pursue my dream I want her to be able to continue to fill hers. I am not 100% sure of what life is like from the very beginning of becoming a Marine Officer. I want to be able to tell her or at least give her a very good idea of what it will entail.

I have told her that there will be opportunities for her to teach on base. I have been told that, but also want to know how true it is. I also get the feeling we will be on the move so much that she won't be able to establish herself as a teacher. I hope this is not the case, or if it is the case, there is a work around. Maybe she can be transferred or something. As I said before I just don't want her to have to give up her life passion for me to persue mine. If need be maybe I won't go for pilot and go for something else that will allow her to do her thing. As long as I am a Marine, I'll be happy. Thanks in advance everyone...

Randy

Looks like you and I are in the same boat. Only thing different is that I'm married. My wife is a second grade teacher that is just finishing up her masters this summer. But she is all for the Corp cause it gives us a chance to just get away and see different things. But just like heyjoe said there is always substituting while your at TBS. My wife isn't really sure what she'll do when we get to that point, but we'll just role with it. I think there has got to be some opportunities even if its not teaching.

rwstelma

DocHolliday,

I am glad to hear that there are others in nearly the exact situation I am in. When do you ship out?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
...I am 28 and just got my Masters degree from BU. .....I have always dreamed of being a fighter pilot ....
Might be a problem here...I think the age cut off for pilot is to commission by age 27 unless you have prior service. One of the younger guys on the site can confirm this.

BTW - I merged your two threads. Only one is needed.

docholiday

DocHolliday,

I am glad to hear that there are others in nearly the exact situation I am in. When do you ship out?

I am hoping for OCC 196 but it's not set in stone till I get selected. I wasn't selected for 195 cuase of my run time but have increased by over 2 minutes so far. So I think I have a good shot this time.

Trev82

pilot
I was just selected at age 25 and was urged to definitely get the ball rolling now, as i need to be commissioned by 26.5 in order to pursue flight school. However age waivers may be plausible to pursue though not easy to come by.

rwstelma

HAL_Pilot,

I know the Navy cutoff is 27, but my Marine OSO isn't concerned about my age. He said it wouldn't be a problem getting a waiver...