• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Liberty at TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
I was wondering what the schedule is like at TBS. Do we get the weekends off or what? What about added leave? I ask because I'm hoping to be at TBS during the spring and summer months of 2005 and more than likely my sister will be getting married at some point during that time. I'd like to know if I'm going to be able to attend her wedding or not.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
In TBS the schedule says that you get every weekend off except for one (when you do urban patrolling). Every other weekend is technically off... However, if you fail a PT event they immediately put you on remedial PT every saturday for what usually ends up being a while... In addition to this if you fail a Land Nav event you lose the next saturday. If you go to TBS during the summer months, there is a high probability that you will fail a land nav event at least once or twice... Even if you do end up on remedial land nav, you can file an out of bounds chit with your SPC, say that it's your sisters wedding, and they almost definetely will allow you to attend. I would be really surprised to hear otherwise.

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
Thanks for the info. I did the land nav course during our OCS prep weekend in Fort McCoy, Wisconsin and I thought it was easy enough. Is the failure rate really that high in TBS?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Arc Angel said:
Thanks for the info. I did the land nav course during our OCS prep weekend in Fort McCoy, Wisconsin and I thought it was easy enough. Is the failure rate really that high in TBS?

Land nav at OCS and TBS is significantly different. The longest leg on the OCS course is around 500m....the shortest leg on the TBS course is around 850-900 meters. If you luck out, you can sometimes even get multiple 1200+ meter legs. Even the night land nav at TBS is around 700m IIRC, but it's nothing but a haze-ex.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Arc Angel said:

I went to TBS during the winter months and I would say most people failed land nav at least once. Some people failed it all the time and gave up just about every saturday for 3 months. I lucked out and was able to find my boxes every time... Never had to come in on saturday.

If you go to TBS during the summer you will find that land nav is alot harder... There is a big difference between Quantico with and without leaves.

Darkness

Taxman2A said:
If you go to TBS during the summer you will find that land nav is alot harder... There is a big difference between Quantico with and without leaves.
Hehe, I have a friend that told me the same.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Even if you do end up on remedial land nav, you can file an out of bounds chit with your SPC, say that it's your sisters wedding, and they almost definetely will allow you to attend.
I got one to see my then fiancee in Chicago. But then again, I was off any remedial classes by then.

TargetInSight

There is a big difference between Quantico with and without leaves.

Dumb question- why? So in the summer there are leaves on the trees but in the fall they are on the ground...? Maybe I should retake the 1rst Grade at my local elementary prior to TBS.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Well, land nav is done in the woods, so with lots of thick foliage, it would be harder to navigate through, whereas with no leaves, it would be easier to see farther. That's my guess, at least.

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Libo

I wouldn't worry about losing a Saturday...so you do remedial coming off of a bender...You're back in the rack at 1400 anyway that day for a quick nap before heading off to G'town for Saturday night.

For those that don't know...remedial events start at ~0700 and go to 1300 or perhaps 1400 at the latest.

As far the the original post goes...Yeah you get weekends off it isn't OCS or boot, though the WORD holds everyone hostage, especially when the student company staff sucks.

phishnguy

weekends off?

So can you travel outside the mileage loop on weekends or do you have to wait for the six or so four-day weekends (96er's) we luck out with in Frozen Fox?

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
phishnguy said:
So can you travel outside the mileage loop on weekends or do you have to wait for the six or so four-day weekends (96er's) we luck out with in Frozen Fox?
You can travel out of the loop. You just have to get authoriztion from the Co. staff.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
For Officers (other than TBS) there is no libo boundries or out of bounds chits...or am I way off?

thepilot33

Doing urban patrolling this weekend at the FBI academy…say goodbye to my Sunday. Oh yeah, fail land navigation and kiss your Saturdays off as well. Land nav last for six weeks too!

airwinger

pilot
One of the more thrilling aspects of the training command is that if you want to get on an airplane over a 96, you have to get SEVEN signatures AND take leave.

It's a lot of fun explaining to the class advisor, student control, flight Officer, skeds, Opso, squadron senior Marine and wing senior Marine that you need leave to see "Susie" over 4th of July. "Yes sir, under reason for leave I put illness. I'm suffering from a serious case of 'Lackanookie' "

Status
Not open for further replies.