• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LHD/San Diego Suggestions?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Have a 3/C Cruise on board LHD-4 USS BOXER coming up. Any suggestions as to what to do on board an LHD as in, anything specifically I need to see or places a MIDN should definitely avoid? Anything to do if none of the aircrew is embarked/ on board? Any suggestions for things to do in San Diego? Thanks.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well if aviation is your thing and noone is embarked hook up with the airboss and or miniboss. They might go to see to have some birds come out and bounce (lets aircrew get proficiency and the deck guys get flight deck pay).
As far as San Diego goes have fun, it is a great area, PB is casual, Gaslamp more upscale.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Or, get a big group of other mids and form a long line next to a group of Marines. Watch what happens, they'll eventually line up too, and then you just walk away. Have a good laugh :D

Very sad, but very, very true.:paperbag_

You usually either get food or a shot. 50/50 is pretty good odds when it comes to chow.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I've heard Hodad's in Orange Beach has the best burgers around, but I've yet to actually go myself.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
That ship has a 2 lane bowling alley that is only open in port and when the seas are less then pitch 1 roll 2. That will give you something to do between working out and waiting in line for chow.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That ship has a 2 lane bowling alley that is only open in port and when the seas are less then pitch 1 roll 2. That will give you something to do between working out and waiting in line for chow.

Holy crap, you've got 2 lanes? Hell I thought there was only 1 on ships, and usually the wait was so damn long that you had to make a reservation 3 days in advance.

In San Diego... PB Bar and Grill or Longboards in PB for Taco Tuesday always works. Hmmm... that's tomorrow, sweet.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
It got retro fitted about 3 years ago with 2 lanes. Often times one lane is E-7 and above (during certain hours). The rest is first come first serve except at sea during which time you can reserve a lane for 2 games only (4 people max per lane).

haubby

None
Contributor
Holy crap, you've got 2 lanes? Hell I thought there was only 1 on ships, and usually the wait was so damn long that you had to make a reservation 3 days in advance.

you guys are horrible.....

if you make it over to point loma side of the house...theres a place called kristy's. they have amazing pizza and beer and right across the street is pacers...all u guys who've been there know what i'm talking about....

also in PB is a bar called coasters...if you cant find tail there...u cant be helped..

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the advice so far, but I'm also speaking from a learning standpoint from a MIDN, anyone have any things in terms of like operations on board the ship I should definitely learn about/see/experience?

And what's the deal with the Marines lining up?

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
One more thing: if there are any air operations, how would I go about getting in contact with any squadrons or whomever, (i.e. Airboss/LSO's etc.?). I'm assuming it's not just running up to some Ready Room door and knocking, or what's the deal?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would just run up to the ready room and pop your head in (unless there is a brief going on). Or you can try the tower... I'm assuming LHA/LHDs have tower flowers, but I don't know that for fact.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Have a 3/C Cruise on board LHD-4 USS BOXER coming up. Any suggestions as to what to do on board an LHD as in, anything specifically I need to see or places a MIDN should definitely avoid? Anything to do if none of the aircrew is embarked/ on board? Any suggestions for things to do in San Diego? Thanks.

Go to Albertos Taco shop and get a Carne Asada burrito and some rolled tacos. If you want a good burger go to In n Out. Stick to the Gas Lamp or MB on the strip by Belmont park and you will be set at night.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Make sure to take your driver's license when you go out. A couple of mids said that the bars wouldn't let them in with only a military ID.