• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Letter to Sen McCain RE CBRN use in Syria

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
So a member calls me racist, and the Eminent Moderator has no comment. But Mumbles & I get slammed for the things we don't know because you work for a 3-star in the Pentagon. Well, I had a TSC clearance & worked for SOG/CIA as an ensign in RVN - and I'm not gonna tell you crap about what I did, either. So there. Politics is probably not a fit subject for this board, and I promise to try much harder in the future to avoid such topics. I don't want to harm the careers of those here still striving for their 3rd stars, FCOL.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Back on topic, it looks like this administration is excercising some restraint after Libya and ensuing shitshow in N. Africa. Couple that with Hezbollah getting free reign of Syria and its weapons after a regime change probably has Israel shaking in its space boots after their ass kicking in 2006. A semi-stable dictator being an asshole in one country is probably better than a couple thousand assholes having free reign on the Mediterranean coast. That's my best guess.

Reactions: Fog

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Such as??? Examples, please.

Seriously, Brett? You bring up your current billet on a fairly regular basis, as if it gives you some special insight on world affairs. While I'm sure you hear some interesting "inside baseball"-type discussions, it doesn't give you any right to pipe in on discussions as if you're the final authority. These events all covered quite adequately by the media.

On the other side, I really can't even comprehend the lengths that Obama-haters will go to justify their antipathy towards him. His pronoun usage? Seriously? He may not be the best president ever, but he's a competent, politically moderate chief executive, who makes measured, rational decisions. While you can disagree with his policies, I can't even begin to fathom the personal animosity he's subject to.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Back on topic, it looks like this administration is excercising some restraint after Libya and ensuing shitshow in N. Africa. Couple that with Hezbollah getting free reign of Syria and its weapons after a regime change probably has Israel shaking in its space boots after their ass kicking in 2006. A semi-stable dictator being an asshole in one country is probably better than a couple thousand assholes having free reign on the Mediterranean coast. That's my best guess.
We don't assist revolutions out of charity; we do it because it serves our national interests. African nations go to war all the time and we tend to stay out militarily. We had no stake in Syria, at least not one worth investing resources into and upsetting their allies, until they started using weapons that can allow countries with small armies (them) defeat countries with large armies (us, Russia, China, etc) with little risk to its own personnel. We invest a lot to raise and train our armed forces to be top dog. It's considered "cheating" of sorts on the international stage when a country invests a small amount in some chemicals that can decimate that investment, and so we don't like it, all the way back to when ze Germans used it as a solution to trench warfare.

My comment was more directed at how the administration presents it as a moral outrage as if the mass killing over the last two years wasn't. It isn't about that; it's about ensuring U.S. military superiority.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously, Brett? You bring up your current billet on a fairly regular basis, as if it gives you some special insight on world affairs. While I'm sure you hear some interesting "inside baseball"-type discussions, it doesn't give you any right to pipe in on discussions as if you're the final authority. These events all covered quite adequately by the media.

On the other side, I really can't even comprehend the lengths that Obama-haters will go to justify their antipathy towards him. His pronoun usage? Seriously? He may not be the best president ever, but he's a competent, politically moderate chief executive, who makes measured, rational decisions. While you can disagree with his policies, I can't even begin to fathom the personal animosity he's subject to.
Curious, since my current billet is relatively new. I think your recollection is a bit askew. I don't credit my job with contributing much to my understanding of world affairs (didn't need much help on that front), just how the decision-making process works. I also don't recall claiming to be the final authority on anything. My opinion on the things we discuss here is just that. Get over it.

MasterBates

If thats the case, then don't crush others nuts when their opinion differ from yours, and you act like you have a deep insight into some Zen universal truth.

Sent from a van down by the river via Tapatalk

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
^ And the thin skin brigade is here. I say you're wrong and it's because I'm so awesome. You say I'm wrong and it's nut crushing.

Raising a glass to A4's.... "the more things change...." you know the rest.

Back to the topic at hand, good articles in today's NYT about the administration's strong words "running ahead of their policy." The next story over is titled, "Israel Sees US Response to Syria as Gauge on Iran". Page A9 if you're interested in some knowledges.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If thats the case, then don't crush others nuts when their opinion differ from yours, and you act like you have a deep insight into some Zen universal truth.

Brett327 said:
If he didn't use terms like "I" and "my", you'd be complaining that he's not taking responsibility for the actions and policies of "his" administration. Every President has a huge ego - part of the job description. I'm sure there are more substantive things you can think of to legitimately criticize him on... Like policy.

Is this how you define nut crushing? Sometimes I get the sense that some of you are responding to your own internally generated Brett narrative and not to what I'm actually posting.

jmcquate

Contributor
Is this how you define nut crushing? Sometimes I get the sense that some of you are responding to your own internally generated Brett narrative and not to what I'm actually posting.
It’s the Carville avatar Brett (although I know Jim, he’s actually a really nice and funny guy.........and a degenerate sports gambler).

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
There's literally no upside to getting involved with this. Assad may be an asshole, but he's not al Qaeda.

We overthrow the regime and we have another 10 year quagmire on our hands, because apparently now when you break it, you buy it. We go from saviors to assholes in about two milliseconds.

We don't do anything, Assad ends up impaled on a stick, and AQ/jihadist du jour gets their hands on some nasty stuff, and now we are the assholes because we let it happen by not getting involved. Once it's all said and done, we have the same or less influence in the region than we currently have.

Fuck that. If Syrians want their freedom, they can earn it themselves. We don't have the blood or treasure worth spilling for another middle eastern country's reset.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
. . . . We overthrow the regime and we have another 10 year quagmire on our hands, because apparent ly now when you break it, you buy it. We go from saviors to assholes in about two milliseconds. . . . Fuck that. If Syrians want their freedom, they can earn it themselves. We don't have the blood or treasure worth spilling for another middle eastern country's reset.

Agree w/ Bubba. Based on my reading of Islamic history, culture and the current world status, I do not believe anything resembling democracy & freedom can exist w/in Islam. When Assad is killed & overthrown, we will have another terror-sponsoring nation in the Mideast and Israel will have aa huge problem on its NE border. JMHO.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Based on my reading of Islamic history, culture and the current world status, I do not believe anything resembling democracy & freedom can exist w/in Islam.

Agree 1000% on this ^^^

Enough "nation-building" in that region of the world

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't disagree that Syria is going to be a big mess and that democracy there is extremely unlikely in the near and mid term, but I would offer up Turkey, Morocco and Indonesia as counterpoints to the notion that Islam and democracy are incompatible.