• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Letter to Sen McCain RE CBRN use in Syria

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sad day for the aircrew, even the Russians. Bullshit way to go out.
Break Break
WTF is slung under that bird?View attachment 19854

According to Wikipedia this is the only version left in Russian service; Il-20M Coot-A ELINT, electronic, radar reconnaissance version, so it is likely an antenna of some sort for one of those missions.

...only one reason remains - IFF failure.

Don't discount Syrian incompetence.

That would involve more work than I am willing to do at this point. Plus, that person is pretty busy with real work.

The hinge in you is.....weak.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
According to Wikipedia this is the only version left in Russian service; Il-20M Coot-A ELINT, electronic, radar reconnaissance version, so it is likely an antenna of some sort for one of those missions.

Don't discount Syrian incompetence.

The hinge in you is.....weak.
This hinge can task at a faster cyclic rate than the nose cannon on an A-10...but I save my rounds for real targets, not shit work for no reason.

Upper level hingeing means people do the work for you and don’t even realize they are doing it...

BTW, thanks for the lookup on the IL-20M, I’ll remember that come FITREP season...

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Il-20M Coot-A ELINT, electronic, radar reconnaissance version, so it is likely an antenna of some sort for one of those missions.

Nevertheless, this underbelly canoe is for Needle radar. If that aircraft had been modified into ECM standard Il-22PP (hardly so - PP "Reaper" would jam S-200 easily), this cigar was probably adapted to contain some equipment of sort. Or for beer - Syria is quite hot place on the planet...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 67144 scul

IFF "failure" is most likely. Syrian military incompetence is very, very well-noted in this conflict. But if the claim is true that the Israeli F-16s were shadowing the Il-20 and the "monkey model" variant of an already very outdated SAM system, then the missile's SARH guidance could have ended up following the signal of the most obvious/largest cross-section in the target area. SARH is tricky, especially with technology designed in the 1950s/60s. Sparrows weren't terribly impressive in Vietnam. But I don't know the specifics of long-range guidance systems to properly speculate why the missile would have gone for the Russian aircraft rather than the F-16s. Kindly correct me.

With that said, I question if the Syrians even have IFF. Very outdated technology on top of being an infamous Soviet export variant would be telling. Either way, the Syrian military was grossly incompetent in 2011, and at this point they're running on skeleton crews.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IFF "failure" is most likely. Syrian military incompetence is very, very well-noted in this conflict. But if the claim is true that the Israeli F-16s were shadowing the Il-20....With that said, I question if the Syrians even have IFF. Very outdated technology....

There could be a million different reasons why it happened but I would be wary of any claims coming from the Russians, Syrians or even Israelis with respect to this incident since they all have considerable self-interest not to be blamed for the death of 15 Russians. I would also be wary of speculating too much about the how here either.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Silly people, the IL-20 was filled with Trump supporters (because Putin is a Big, BIG supporter of Trump) and, based on the capability of the A/C, were watching Fox News at the time of the Syrian engagement. This is a direct result of collusion between President Trump and the Russian government, nothing more, nothing less . . . .

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
A chain of tragical coinsidences. That's what Putin said in Russian. When the SSGN Kursk sank in 2000, he said the same... Wonder what and when would be the next prey of that chain...

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Blue on blue is a shitty way to go out, even if it is red on red.

Non-zero chance this event was calculated by Israel in order to drive a wedge between Asad and Russia.